Is Teaching a respected Profession in This country?

Teaching a respected Profession in the United States?

• yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • no

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters
To answer the OP...no, the RW especially does not have any respect for this noble profession.

The continually seek to demonize and attack anyone in or around it.

Notice how the far RW fringers are quick to attack and label their fellow American workers that are PEACEFULLY protesting their mistreatment as "using the threat of violence."

Yet, when RWers came to public rallies with rifles and assault weapons they called it excersizing their Rights.

Interesting how that works in the Far RW minds...isn't it?

hahahaha, PEACEFUL. so you don''t have a problem with them shutting down the SCHOOLS they work in and still ask those parents to PAY THEIR SALARIES.? I guess we are all suppose to fweel sorry for them for spitting on us.
and they are now being MISTREATED...by being asked to do as the Obama told US we would all have to do, get some SKIN IN THE GAME.
I LAUGH:lol:

You want them to bend over and take whatever the Governor does to them. Talk about spitting at others. We know how you feel about teachers Stephanie....I bet you are a "joy" to teach.....of course, it is the teachers' fault you came out so uneducated, isn't it?
And what is your excuse for coming out so uneducated?

Christ Butch, all your stupid ass can come up with is lame snarky lil' comments about other peoples educations...........Projecting is what you do best. Lord knows you don't have the ability to research for yourself. Don't have the ability to debate beyond one line snarky lil' comments. Must really suck for you to be such a miserable dolt all the time.

Why? Cause we don't think teachers should be allowed to bankrupt states? You need to grow the fuck up.. As do all liberal whiney asses.

LOL! So you are saying the state doesn't have an obligation to honor contracts it willing entered into? Why don't we shut your water off & listen to you whine.:lol:

I guess they could honor those contracts after they've laid off 5,000 or so teachers, that the road you want to go down?

Yes Willow, that is the road. If you can't aford your help, you lay them off. The state could sell off property to meet their obligations like other states have done. This is blatant Union busting.

Look how quick the RWer fringers pounce and attack their fellow American WORKERS.

Yet they are quick to drop to their knees and service Big Business.

Uncanny!

*SMH*

Spin, as is the norm for you MarcAtl.

We are attacking the arrogance of those that make up the academic workforce. Sure they are important. So are the farmers so we can eat, the doctors so we can be healthy, the police so we can be safe, the manufacturwers of electronics so we can be entertained, the manufascturers of shoes so we can not go barefoot.

People opt to be teachers, farmers, police, electronics manufacturers, doctors, shoe manufacturers.

Yet, for some reason, the teachers feel that they should be put on a pedestal for choosing their profession.

Ironically, they all seem to say they do it ONLY becuase they care about the better good for society...but the minute they need to do what is necessry for the good of society from a financial standpoint, the balk, complain and say...."not us!"

Are teachers on average overpaid?

Here on Long Island NY....

Work year....... 180 days
Mandatory hours to be on school premises.....8AM-4PM
Mandatory schedule.......42 minute lunch break.....42 mninute administrative break (can be used to grade exams or sit in teachers lounge)
Permission by contract.....after 4PM a teacher may private tutor at any cost and do so with students in their class or any student from any school
Going Rate per hour for tutoring.....$60
Salary for teacher with 15 years tenure (usually age 37).....90K
Medical coverage....100% paid family plan including dental and optical
Pension....100% contribution by the town

Overpaid?

Certainly not underpaid

I have many teachers in my family, both of my Grandmothers were teachers and of my father's family 3 out of 4 were teachers and out of my generation, 6 out of 14 are teachers with another 3 being nurses...and 2 firefighters. And then 2 of us military. We have public service in our bloodline.

And it is amazing to watch how in the last 20 years how teaching has come to be so denigrated. Why do we wonder at how we compare with other countries and cultures that respect education and educators?
Could it possibly be that it's because in the last twenty years more students are failing at an alarming rate. That teachers are proving to be more inept at an alarming rate. That the unions fight tooth and nail to prevent lousy teachers from being shitcanned. That the more money from taxpayers being used to supplement union benefits is causing less money to go into the classrooms?

But I guess it's all the parents fault. at least that's what the teachers and their corrupt unions try to blame it all on. Surely they have nothing to do with it.

Fact is, Bad parenting is responsible. Lousy teachers are responsible. Unions protecting lousy teachers are responsible.

Teachers require MORE education than they did over 20 years ago. Teachers require MORE credentialling than they did over 20 years ago. Teachers require MORE inserving than they did 20 years ago.

What the students expected to do? Unfortunately, students today expect to be Entertained, NOT Educated. They are passive and don't take an active part in their own education...and their parents expect teachers to be babysitters. Parents who tell teachers that their kids are the schools' problem from 8-3. Parents who put schools on caller block. Parents who never show up for conferences. Parents who sue schools at the drop of a hat. Who do you think kids learn from MORE?

I say no...it is not. And the last few days certainly has helped prove my point.

Obviously teaching is a respected profession in this country. However, I believe there is more to your post than meets the eye.

Please forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't believe you can separate teaching and a teacher being a member of a union. They are obviously two completely different things. As I've mentioned before, I know dozens of private school teachers that are fantastic teachers and none of them are part of a union. If a teacher wants to be a member of a union, no problem, but not at the expense of doing their primary job. (For example, taking sick days and using students for their own gain is irresponsible IMO.) I'm still unsure as to why teacher unions are so important. Do teachers really have it that bad that they need to pay union dues for representation that they cannot get themselves?

I have great respect for the teaching profession. I've had a number of family members in the profession who are now retired. You ask if teachers really have it that bad. Look at my link below and you tell me. In Oklahoma, a teacher with 25+ years who has a PhD makes a whopping minimum of $46,000 per year. They only make that much because of their union bargaining for them. Unfortunately, since school funding is usually so low, these teachers have to dig into their own pocket for supplies for their classes.

Teacher Salary

Last edited:
Spin, as is the norm for you MarcAtl.

We are attacking the arrogance of those that make up the academic workforce. Sure they are important. So are the farmers so we can eat, the doctors so we can be healthy, the police so we can be safe, the manufacturwers of electronics so we can be entertained, the manufascturers of shoes so we can not go barefoot.

People opt to be teachers, farmers, police, electronics manufacturers, doctors, shoe manufacturers.

Yet, for some reason, the teachers feel that they should be put on a pedestal for choosing their profession.

Ironically, they all seem to say they do it ONLY becuase they care about the better good for society...but the minute they need to do what is necessry for the good of society from a financial standpoint, the balk, complain and say...."not us!"

Are teachers on average overpaid?

Here on Long Island NY....

Work year....... 180 days
Mandatory hours to be on school premises.....8AM-4PM
Mandatory schedule.......42 minute lunch break.....42 mninute administrative break (can be used to grade exams or sit in teachers lounge)
Permission by contract.....after 4PM a teacher may private tutor at any cost and do so with students in their class or any student from any school
Going Rate per hour for tutoring.....$60
Salary for teacher with 15 years tenure (usually age 37).....90K
Medical coverage....100% paid family plan including dental and optical
Pension....100% contribution by the town

Overpaid?

Certainly not underpaid

Now, list the salaries of other professionals in Long Island with comparable educations (Professional degrees of 5 years plus)

hahahaha, PEACEFUL. so you don''t have a problem with them shutting down the SCHOOLS they work in and still ask those parents to PAY THEIR SALARIES.? I guess we are all suppose to fweel sorry for them for spitting on us.
and they are now being MISTREATED...by being asked to do as the Obama told US we would all have to do, get some SKIN IN THE GAME.
I LAUGH:lol:

You want them to bend over and take whatever the Governor does to them. Talk about spitting at others. We know how you feel about teachers Stephanie....I bet you are a "joy" to teach.....of course, it is the teachers' fault you came out so uneducated, isn't it?

Christ Butch, all your stupid ass can come up with is lame snarky lil' comments about other peoples educations...........Projecting is what you do best. Lord knows you don't have the ability to research for yourself. Don't have the ability to debate beyond one line snarky lil' comments. Must really suck for you to be such a miserable dolt all the time.

You must be picking your ass again, to be so full of shit. If you are so uneducated you cannot debate the topic, why don't you go drool down in the romper room?:clap2:

You must be picking your ass again, to be so full of shit. If you are so uneducated you cannot debate the topic, why don't you go drool down in the romper room?:clap2:

Don't blame him....blame his teachers.

Why the hell should teachers be more RESPECTED than the kid who works in McDonalds.

Teaching is a noble profession, but they CHOSE to go into that feild. So that doesn't make them any better or more important the the rest of the people.

sheeesh.

Why the hell should soldiers/policemen/firemen be more RESPECTED than the kid who works in McDonalds.

Those are noble professions, but they CHOSE to go into that feild. So that doesn't make them any better or more important the the rest of the people.

sheeesh.

Moran! :cuckoo:

you're a idiot. who said anything about any of the above, should be more respected?
To me the only one's who should be MORE RESPECTED are our military, as they are on the front lines to protect these pampered teachers rights to interrupt the children's schools to go protest for their own selves, the hell with the CHIIIILDREN.
but hey, your dumb rant got you a atta boy rep from MarcATL. so you done good I guess.

Last edited:
To answer the OP...no, the RW especially does not have any respect for this noble profession.

The continually seek to demonize and attack anyone in or around it.

Interesting that you refer to it as a noble profession.
Is a nurse a noble profession?
Firefighter?
Military?
If someone applies their education to research and development to better technology in our soiciety...is that not a noble profession?
Is an attorney not noble if he or she assists those that have been wronged by someone else?
I rrecruit and help people find jobs. Is mine not a noble profession?

Why is a teacher deemed as "noble" and not a farmer who works 14 hour days so the people of this great lanmd can eat?

I say no...it is not. And the last few days certainly has helped prove my point.

Obviously teaching is a respected profession in this country. However, I believe there is more to your post than meets the eye.

Please forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't believe you can separate teaching and a teacher being a member of a union. They are obviously two completely different things. As I've mentioned before, I know dozens of private school teachers that are fantastic teachers and none of them are part of a union. If a teacher wants to be a member of a union, no problem, but not at the expense of doing their primary job. (For example, taking sick days and using students for their own gain is irresponsible IMO.) I'm still unsure as to why teacher unions are so important. Do teachers really have it that bad that they need to pay union dues for representation that they cannot get themselves?

I have great respect for the teaching profession. I've had a number of family members in the profession who are now retired. You ask if teachers really have it that bad. Look at my link below and you tell me. In Oklahoma, a teacher with 25+ years who has a PhD makes a whopping minimum of $46,000 per year. They only make that much because of their union bargaining for them. Unfortunately, since school funding is usually so low, these teachers have to dig into their own pocket for supplies for their classes.

Teacher Salary

Why the assumption that it'd be under $46,000 without the union?

Do you have any idea how many threats and bogus accusations high school teachers have to deal with? Without a union, any punk who claims "she touched my privates" could have a teacher fired immediately. We had a teacher charged with simple assault for accidently hitting a kid while gesturing the kids to ¤ove during a fire drill. It was dropped - after a fucking year. We had a female teacher accused of groping a girls crotch when she grabbed a fallen paper on her lap. I was accused of making PRANK PHONE CALLS to a kid I hardly knew. That's why we pay union dues. It has little to do with our "outrageous salaries" (cough cough) and everything to do with job protection.

When was the last time someone at your workplace said "I know where you live"?

Yep it comes with the territory. But walk a week in someone else's shoes, and I guarantee teachers will no longer be referred to as "Public Enemy #1"

Do you have any idea how many threats and bogus accusations high school teachers have to deal with? Without a union, any punk who claims "she touched my privates" could have a teacher fired immediately. We had a teacher charged with simple assault for accidently hitting a kid while gesturing the kids to ¤ove during a fire drill. It was dropped - after a fucking year. We had a female teacher accused of groping a girls crotch when she grabbed a fallen paper on her lap. I was accused of making PRANK PHONE CALLS to a kid I hardly knew. That's why we pay union dues. It has little to do with our "outrageous salaries" (cough cough) and everything to do with job protection.

Yep it comes with the territory. But walk a week in someone else's shoes, and I guarantee teachers will no longer be referred to as "Public Enemy #1"

Rather than paying union dues couldn't you pay a lawyer to do the exact same thing and get a lot more personal 1 on 1 help?

Most teachers don't have that bad luck and are often paying union dues for nothing.

Forum List

Back