Is suicide considered a sin?

It's killing oneself, it's murder, only no time to repent, feel remorse, asking for forgiveness etc etc etc....you're already dead.....

Setting that aside, I believe in most cases of suicide, the person is mentally unstable, with acute depression, and feels there is no way out...other than offing oneself...

God, is a loving, caring, understanding and merciful God... under those circumstances, imo.
Why does one have to be mentally unstable to commit suicide? Are those with terminal illnesses mentally unstable that choose to die with dignity? Maybe they just flat out don't want to suffer or be a burden. Or maybe there is nothing really left they can do, due to extreme old age, homeless, broke, etc.
i don't know any answers to any of those questions Gracie, and as I get older I'm sure they will wain on me more in wanting to know those answers....but as I sit right now, most everyone I know of that has committed suicide, has done so because of depression or bipolar not taking meds, and I KNOW they could have been helped and happy and alive again inside if they had been treated.

I do not know or care if it is regarded as a sin to take ones own life, because if things are that bad you need help not condemnation. But I do think it is a tragedy when a young person commits suicide because someone young simply over reacts to emotional problems that would lessen with age and experience. Having said that I am now 69 and getting weaker. I expect the time will come when I cannot look after myself, and at that time I might consider suicide.

I remember an incident in a spiritualist church meeting where a medium said there was a lady from the other side who had committed suicide. The medium said the lady was ok, and was happy where she was in the after life. She had not been punished by any higher power.

I hope not. I have had two Aunts and my sister commit suicide. This has been something that has made me worry since I don't know what happens after we die.

Your thoughts?

Tricky.

While most commentators would chalk it up to 6th commandment 'you shall not murder (even yourself,) there are notable exceptions like the Jews at Masada commiting mass suicide rather than surrender to the Romans laying siege. They're still venerated for that act despite it being thought of as a sin.

Suicide in the name of religion is not a sin. It was renamed long ago as martyrdom. It's a holy act.

I don't put much stock in the roman catholic church or any particular denomination, etc.
I know Christians claim it is an unpardonable sin, but...christians are not God, nor can speak in His behalf on what HE expects.

I guess I just wanted to know the deep down gut feelings of others on the subject..not necessarily what they have been taught by whatever religion they follow.

I agree. But you seemed to want an answer derived from the Church. I have my personal opinions about the matter, but they are not necessarily in line with the Catholic Church or any Church for that matter. :)

I don't put much stock in the roman catholic church or any particular denomination, etc.
I know Christians claim it is an unpardonable sin, but...christians are not God, nor can speak in His behalf on what HE expects.

I guess I just wanted to know the deep down gut feelings of others on the subject..not necessarily what they have been taught by whatever religion they follow.

I agree. But you seemed to want an answer derived from the Church. I have my personal opinions about the matter, but they are not necessarily in line with the Catholic Church or any Church for that matter. :)
No, I specifically said I wanted gut feelings. Yes, my title says SIN...which is a religious connotation but I clarified it in my other post.
So spill it WQ. What's yer thoughts? If I don't answer right away it's cuz I had to leave the pc for a bit.

Suicide is taking a life, which is a sin.

The wages sin pays is death.

The sin of suicide is forgiven upon ones death.

Can I ask where you get this? It is interesting because God is supposed to be about forgiveness. I worked in mental health for years....most people considering suicide are in tremendous emotional or physical pain. I would think that would be a time when compassion and forgiveness is needed most. Particularly by the deity.

Whom are you relying upon to define sin, and what consequences of sin are you talking about?

Jesus identified only one sin as unforgivable.

Your thoughts?

Suicide is a symptom exhibited by someone who is broken. Their lives are broken, as well as their minds. To call it a sin is to ascribe a religious/moral meaning that is neither helpful nor meaningful.

No, I specifically said I wanted gut feelings. Yes, my title says SIN...which is a religious connotation but I clarified it in my other post.
So spill it WQ. What's yer thoughts? If I don't answer right away it's cuz I had to leave the pc for a bit.

I do not think suicide is a mortal sin. This life is supposed to be about spiritual growth.....getting closer in line with God. I believe there are many paths to get there. :)

God doesn't care which path. He cares that you make the right choices. Pain and loss are a big part of fostering spiritual growth. You usually don't learn a lot when things are great. Sometimes the pain is too much and folks check out (i.e. suicide). If God is about forgiveness does he not forgive pain and weakness?

I had a great-grandmother in Virginia who was a soul force. She lived to be 95. Near her death she was interviewed by a local reporter and asked her recipe for a long life. She said....."Have faith in God"...."Do Good deeds for others"...."Have a positive outlook."

I'd throw in obey God's law (Golden Rule & Ten Commandants) and she's got it. :)

Suicide sets the soul back. I do not think the deity wants us to check out. But there is forgiveness also....always forgiveness.

Your thoughts?

Tricky.

While most commentators would chalk it up to 6th commandment 'you shall not murder (even yourself,) there are notable exceptions like the Jews at Masada commiting mass suicide rather than surrender to the Romans laying siege. They're still venerated for that act despite it being thought of as a sin.

Actually, I believe what they did was have a select group go around and kill the others to avoid it being suicide. They continued this until there was only one person left so only one person bore the burden of suicide. I may be wrong on that though. I think one would be hard pressed to find a minister in the Christian faith that would endorse suicide. But I do think the circumstances are important and I think God is a forgiving guy/gal/whatever. However, I have no desire nor right to speak on behalf of the almighty, so.....

Your thoughts?

Suicide is a symptom exhibited by someone who is broken. Their lives are broken, as well as their minds. To call it a sin is to ascribe a religious/moral meaning that is neither helpful nor meaningful.

Except that she is asking a theological question. It's no more helpful nor meaningful to provide a psychological answer to a theological question

Your thoughts?

Tricky.

Actually, I believe what they did was have a select group go around and kill the others to avoid it being suicide. They continued this until there was only one person left so only one person bore the burden of suicide. I may be wrong on that though. I think one would be hard pressed to find a minister in the Christian faith that would endorse suicide. But I do think the circumstances are important and I think God is a forgiving guy/gal/whatever. However, I have no desire nor right to speak on behalf of the almighty, so.....

Might be mixing up Masada, with "Erik the Viking" :)

Your thoughts?

Except that she is asking a theological question. It's no more helpful nor meaningful to provide a psychological answer to a theological question

Actually, it is much more helpful to address the problem from a scientific standpoint than a theological one. At least with science, one can perhaps find the root cause of suicides, and try to help these people before they kill themselves. With religion, it's all about guilt and fear; and guilt and fear is largely why they are killing themselves in the first place.

Suicide is taking a life, which is a sin.

The wages sin pays is death.

The sin of suicide is forgiven upon ones death.

Can I ask where you get this? It is interesting because God is supposed to be about forgiveness. I worked in mental health for years....most people considering suicide are in tremendous emotional or physical pain. I would think that would be a time when compassion and forgiveness is needed most. Particularly by the deity.

Not sure what you are asking, suicide is forgivable by God. What is not compassionate about that?

Your thoughts?

Tricky.

Might be mixing up Masada, with "Erik the Viking" :)

Now you are going to make me look this shit up. Sigh. :lol: ok here we go.

"(395) They then chose ten men by lot out of them, to slay all the rest; every one of whom laid himself down by his wife and children on the ground, and threw his arms about them, and they offered their necks to the stroke of those who by lot executed that melancholy office; (396) and when these ten had, without fear, slain them all, they made the same rule for casting lots for themselves, that he whose lot it was should first kill the other nine, and after all, should kill himself. Accordingly, all these had courage sufficient to be no way behind one another in doing or suffering; (397) so, for a conclusion, the nine offered their necks to the executioner, and he who was the last of all took a view of all the other bodies, lest perchance some or other among so many that were slain should want his assistance to be quite dispatched; and when he perceived that they were all slain, he set fire to the palace, and with the great force of his hands ran his sword entirely through himself, and fell down dead near to his own relations". - The Works of Josephus 395-397.

Curiously, the title of the article is "Josephus Describes the Mass Suicide at Masada" even though what he describes is an agreed-upon mass murder. Anyhow...there it is

Primary Sources - Josephus Describes Mass Suicide At Masada From Jesus To Christ FRONTLINE PBS

Forum List

Back