Is Ron Paul a Pacifist?

Greenbeard

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2010
New England
I know Paul tends to be more isolationist than nearly anyone else on the national stage, but I found something he said at a campaign event last night interesting. According to Paul, he became a doctor so that, if drafted, he wouldn't have to carry a gun:

Paul also said the reason he chose to go into medicine, a first on the campaign trail in Iowa, was because he didn't want to fight in war, carry a gun, or "shoot anybody."

"One of the reasons I went into medicine, because I do remember World War II and Korea," he said, "and I hadn’t decided what profession to get into. One of the things that motivated me to go into medicine is the fact that I never wanted to carry a gun. I never wanted to shoot anybody and I thought well, I’ll probably get drafted someday, and I certainly am not going to play that game in war. And lo and behold, I was drafted in 1962, ended up being in the service for five years."

That's a fairly major life decision made in pursuit of nonviolence. So I guess I'm curious, from those who know more about the man: is Ron Paul a pacifist?

I know Paul tends to be more isolationist than nearly anyone else on the national stage, but I found something he said at a campaign event last night interesting. According to Paul, he became a doctor so that, if drafted, he wouldn't have to carry a gun:

Paul also said the reason he chose to go into medicine, a first on the campaign trail in Iowa, was because he didn't want to fight in war, carry a gun, or "shoot anybody."

"One of the reasons I went into medicine, because I do remember World War II and Korea," he said, "and I hadn’t decided what profession to get into. One of the things that motivated me to go into medicine is the fact that I never wanted to carry a gun. I never wanted to shoot anybody and I thought well, I’ll probably get drafted someday, and I certainly am not going to play that game in war. And lo and behold, I was drafted in 1962, ended up being in the service for five years."

That's a fairly major life decision made in pursuit of nonviolence. So I guess I'm curious, from those who know more about the man: is Ron Paul a pacifist?

Well I guess it could be debated that he is a pacifist, but clearly even his critics do not accuse him of being a coward or a draft dodger as you have so clearly pointed out. Cant blame someone for not being quick to jump into the military, as it is really just a mercenary orginization funded by the government to serve the business interests of the oligarchy.

My guess is one of the reasons Ron is so against pointless wars is because he actually served, where as most of the pro war people have never. A real “pacifist” would have dodged the war btw. Not wanting to kill someone is hardly worthy of being called a pacifist… I mean really, just think about it for a moment.

Last edited:
Ron Paul is not an Isolationist, look up the word before you use it.

Ron Paul didn’t say he became a Doctor so he wouldn’t have to kill people, he said it was part of the reason, something tells me he was headed in that direction as I don’t think his choices were “Do I become a bread baker or a Doctor… Hmmm…”

Ron Paul also supports the constitution, that is why he is not for the "not wars" we find ourselves in today. Now we are in Pakistan, Libya and a few other places because Bush helped escape the constitution and Obama has vastly outdone and expanded upon Bush’s War doctrine.

So is he a pacifist? I understand that he's very big on his interpretation of the Constitution, but I'm curious as to whether there's something else in his psyche informing that. That hadn't really occurred to me before seeing "One of the things that motivated me to go into medicine is the fact that I never wanted to carry a gun."

"I don’t like war, I like peace — and we should have a lot more peace and a lot less war — but I’m not a pacifist."

5 questions … for Ron Paul | Iowa Caucuses

I think the statement that he didn't want to carry a gun was explained by the statement that he didn't want to shoot anyone, and that was probably because he didn't think those wars were justified. However, even if you thought a war was justified I'm not sure it would make you a pacifist to not want to shoot "the enemy."

Not a pacifist and CERTAINLY not an isolationist.

Standing against unnecessary and illegal military interventionism while promoting free trade and unrestricted travel is not isolationism. It's about freedom and economic growth.

Forum List

Back