Is Ron Paul a Pacifist?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Greenbeard, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    I know Paul tends to be more isolationist than nearly anyone else on the national stage, but I found something he said at a campaign event last night interesting. According to Paul, he became a doctor so that, if drafted, he wouldn't have to carry a gun:

That's a fairly major life decision made in pursuit of nonviolence. So I guess I'm curious, from those who know more about the man: is Ron Paul a pacifist?

2. WatertheTree

WatertheTree Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Well I guess it could be debated that he is a pacifist, but clearly even his critics do not accuse him of being a coward or a draft dodger as you have so clearly pointed out. Cant blame someone for not being quick to jump into the military, as it is really just a mercenary orginization funded by the government to serve the business interests of the oligarchy.

3. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    My guess is one of the reasons Ron is so against pointless wars is because he actually served, where as most of the pro war people have never. A real “pacifist” would have dodged the war btw. Not wanting to kill someone is hardly worthy of being called a pacifist… I mean really, just think about it for a moment.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  4. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Ron Paul is not an Isolationist, look up the word before you use it.

Ron Paul didn’t say he became a Doctor so he wouldn’t have to kill people, he said it was part of the reason, something tells me he was headed in that direction as I don’t think his choices were “Do I become a bread baker or a Doctor… Hmmm…”

Ron Paul also supports the constitution, that is why he is not for the "not wars" we find ourselves in today. Now we are in Pakistan, Libya and a few other places because Bush helped escape the constitution and Obama has vastly outdone and expanded upon Bush’s War doctrine.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    So is he a pacifist? I understand that he's very big on his interpretation of the Constitution, but I'm curious as to whether there's something else in his psyche informing that. That hadn't really occurred to me before seeing "One of the things that motivated me to go into medicine is the fact that I never wanted to carry a gun."

6. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    "I don’t like war, I like peace — and we should have a lot more peace and a lot less war — but I’m not a pacifist."

5 questions … for Ron Paul | Iowa Caucuses

I think the statement that he didn't want to carry a gun was explained by the statement that he didn't want to shoot anyone, and that was probably because he didn't think those wars were justified. However, even if you thought a war was justified I'm not sure it would make you a pacifist to not want to shoot "the enemy."

7. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,077
    Not a pacifist and CERTAINLY not an isolationist.

Standing against unnecessary and illegal military interventionism while promoting free trade and unrestricted travel is not isolationism. It's about freedom and economic growth.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,892
    He likes the Pacific ocean?

Ok, that was a bit lame....