Is racism on the rise?

Is this the epiphany you had because that last I saw you, you were stomping out of here in a snit and outraged at the fact that people were freely allowed to speak racists thoughts ?

I didnt stomp. I flounced. :lol:
I was enlightened, lets say. And the teacher is the one that made me run the other way. The other way was back here. That ok with you or do I need permission first?

Just curious about the radical about face. Carry on. No one needs my permission to do jack around here.

Not really an about face. I STILL think its wrong to have an all black only spelling bee just as I think it would be wrong to have white only spelling bees. (for examples). But I also try to keep an open mind while keeping it intact at the same time. Dont ask. Even I dont know what the hell I just said. :lol:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The worst cases of racism are leveled against African Americans who are Republicans.

Seems that instead of it lessening, its getting stronger. I thought Obama being the first black (half black) president would be encouragement for the races to "settle in" and it not be as bad. And although I know its still rampant in this country, it seemed to be lightening up a smidge and folks were more tolerant...or trying to be, anyway. But to me, since Obama got in office, it is rising to higher pitch.
Or is it just me?

It's not just you, but I wouldn't be concerned about it. As the population trends toward majority-minority, you're going to see more lashing out. Several possible outcomes in the longer run:

- People get over silly social constructs like race and actually behave like mature adults.

- Our politics breaks down into ethnic tribal conflicts.

- In what I consider the most likely outcome, "white" is redefined once again to include light-skinned Hispanics. It wouldn't be the first time this happens. Originally, the Scots and the Irish were not considered white. Later, southern Europeans "became" white.

Well while they in no way condone or defend slavery of any kind among ANY people, both Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams count themselves blessed because somebody dragged their ancesters over here on a slave ship. As a result both were born American citizens. Even growing up under segregation, both were able to get an education that allowed them to compete with anybody, and both have distinguished themselves with PhDs, prolific writings, and numerous awards and honors.

Had their ancesters been left in Africa, they most likely would have been born in Africa to dirt poor, uneducated people with none of the opportunities they have enjoyed.

And while it is true that there are different kinds of slavery, I imagine none of us do not descend from people who at one time experienced the worst kinds of slavery.

That was then. This is now.

We either treat people as victims because of their ancestry and require them to see themselves differently because of their ancestry or we accept everybody as just Americans and let them succeed and fail on their own merits just as if they were as good as anybody else. I think the non racist doesn't see anybody as 'not as good as everybody else'. In my opinion it is arrogant and racist to assume black people need whitey to protect and take care of them.

We've already fought that war. We should be enjoying the peace now instead of continuing to fight it.

Thats great and if I made any mention of being left in Africa, you would have a great point. That's a separate issue which I know we'd have different opinions on but like I said, thats a different topic all together.

See....the see everyone as Americans part is hilarious. What Italian isnt proud of their heritage? What Irishman is expected to drop the irish label? none...but why do so many from outside of the black race are requesting only the blacks do it? That's what I disagree with....No one else is requested to drop who they are....Hell, they celebrate it!

But if a black person does it....someone who is not black wants it to stop...why? Why do you want to stop me from identifing myself the way I want too? Who knows better than I do? You?

Thats the question

Actually, that is a good question.
Maybe because there isnt such a division of those you mentioned with having ONLY Irish Beauty Pageants or Irish Voices or Irish Only Spelling Bees, etc etc etc? Why cant each race be proud or content and still be American? A good stew isnt just meat and salt. It has garlic, pepper, other seasonings, taters, carrots.
Division is division. There is a line there somewhere. I just dont know where it is, or how it can be "fixed" so the line is observed but not so divisional. I think. Hell I dunno. Ill have to muse on it cuz I suck at expressing myself most of the time.

It's a phrase in the AA community called being able to pass. Irish would be able to pass as white so as long as they were not found out they could participate in the white only beauty pagents or spelling bees. Some blacks were able to "pass" and were allowed to participate in those white only events. Blacks instead of standing outside of the door decided to make their own...you know...Do for themselves. Take the bull by the horns, pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and make something for themselves.

That's not a bad thing...nor is the Jewish Anti-Defamation League or the National Italian American Foundation or any other. Strangely, the only problem anyone has is with Blacks. Now why is that?

Thats great and if I made any mention of being left in Africa, you would have a great point. That's a separate issue which I know we'd have different opinions on but like I said, thats a different topic all together.

See....the see everyone as Americans part is hilarious. What Italian isnt proud of their heritage? What Irishman is expected to drop the irish label? none...but why do so many from outside of the black race are requesting only the blacks do it? That's what I disagree with....No one else is requested to drop who they are....Hell, they celebrate it!

But if a black person does it....someone who is not black wants it to stop...why? Why do you want to stop me from identifing myself the way I want too? Who knows better than I do? You?

Thats the question

Maybe because there isnt such a division of those you mentioned with having ONLY Irish Beauty Pageants or Irish Voices or Irish Only Spelling Bees, etc etc etc? Why cant each race be proud or content and still be American? A good stew isnt just meat and salt. It has garlic, pepper, other seasonings, taters, carrots.
Division is division. There is a line there somewhere. I just dont know where it is, or how it can be "fixed" so the line is observed but not so divisional. I think. Hell I dunno. Ill have to muse on it cuz I suck at expressing myself most of the time.

It's a phrase in the AA community called being able to pass. Irish would be able to pass as white so as long as they were not found out they could participate in the white only beauty pagents or spelling bees. Some blacks were able to "pass" and were allowed to participate in those white only events. Blacks instead of standing outside of the door decided to make their own...you know...Do for themselves. Take the bull by the horns, pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and make something for themselves.

That's not a bad thing...nor is the Jewish Anti-Defamation League or the National Italian American Foundation or any other. Strangely, the only problem anyone has is with Blacks. Now why is that?

It's because you aren't paying attention. Haven't you ever seen the anti-semitic battles that go on here ?

Last edited:
This threads a lot like the, "Hokey Pokey"

You shake it to the left, you shake it to the right...

Bullshit...Slavery for other races was a very different deal than with blacks. For example throughout history many races have been slaves, but for very different reasons. Some were repaying a debt, some were criminals etc.

so while you are correct that every race has been mistreated or enslaved its a very different levels.

Sort of like saying a Pool and the Ocean are both full of water...whats the difference?

Well while they in no way condone or defend slavery of any kind among ANY people, both Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams count themselves blessed because somebody dragged their ancesters over here on a slave ship. As a result both were born American citizens. Even growing up under segregation, both were able to get an education that allowed them to compete with anybody, and both have distinguished themselves with PhDs, prolific writings, and numerous awards and honors.

Had their ancesters been left in Africa, they most likely would have been born in Africa to dirt poor, uneducated people with none of the opportunities they have enjoyed.

And while it is true that there are different kinds of slavery, I imagine none of us do not descend from people who at one time experienced the worst kinds of slavery.

That was then. This is now.

We either treat people as victims because of their ancestry and require them to see themselves differently because of their ancestry or we accept everybody as just Americans and let them succeed and fail on their own merits just as if they were as good as anybody else. I think the non racist doesn't see anybody as 'not as good as everybody else'. In my opinion it is arrogant and racist to assume black people need whitey to protect and take care of them.

We've already fought that war. We should be enjoying the peace now instead of continuing to fight it.

Thats the question

I don't care what you celebrate. I'm such a mutt myself I don't have any clearly defining ethnic characteristic to celebrate so I just celebrate them all. If you have been following the thread at all you would have seen that I think it is great fun for everybody to celebrate their own and everybody else's ethnic, cultural, or historical heritage. I didn't suggest at all that you or ANYBODY not do that.

I DO say that we do people no favors of any kind when we demand they be treated differently because of their ethnic or cultural background or history. And your previous posts suggested that we should do just that for black people because some of their ancesters were once slaves. I see that as a racist view--not malicious or hateful racism or anything other than well intentioned--but it is racist because it requires us to separate out a whole group of people as somehow different than everybody else. I think that is wrong.

It's because you aren't paying attention. Haven't you ever seen the anti-semitic battles that go on here ?

No but I would assume that more will come to the defense of Jews than of AA's

Thats the question

I wish I could answer your question (which I bolded so you would know what I am addressing). I dont have the answer and dont think anyone else does either except just posing their own opinions. Im familiar with the "able to pass".Pre civil war and afterwards as well, being able to "pass" meant they could indeed be "accepted" within the community with less barriers. But the point is..and the problem is...most of us living today did not own slaves or came from families that were slaveholders. But those being "left out" or felt its "our fault" are just bearing the weight of what happened back then. What happened then is beyond our control. What happens now IS in our control. So stop with the division on all sides. Be proud of who you are and from whence you came...but also embrace those who may be different but are still the same RACE. The human race. Or is that just a pipe dream?
I truly thought things were getting better. Then again..everyone is so angry all the time, who isnt pissed off at the world in general?

Last edited:
I voted for Obama. I believed in what he said. I believed he could do it. And it wasnt because he was black. I am very disappointed.
I think he unintentionally set off many steps backwards when it was in the process of going forward (at least to me it was). Its like...hes the catalyst that set this new wave in motion. And that, too, disappoints me.

What did you think would happen when the obama machine was driven to "turn out the black vote"

You say what happened in this state.

No but I would assume that more will come to the defense of Jews than of AA's

Why ? and how about Hispanic racists ?

I voted for Obama. I believed in what he said. I believed he could do it. And it wasnt because he was black. I am very disappointed.
I think he unintentionally set off many steps backwards when it was in the process of going forward (at least to me it was). Its like...hes the catalyst that set this new wave in motion. And that, too, disappoints me.

What did you think would happen when the obama machine was driven to "turn out the black vote"

And now Im paying for it with my disappointment.

So you had no idea that his "party" was running a racist agenda? They were rather blatant about "turning out the black vote". It was in the news all the time about blacks who had never voted a day in their lives....but were voting because obama was black...and black alone. You should have paid more attention and a little less about the feel good rose colored glasses they wanted everyone to wear.

So you had no idea that his "party" was running a racist agenda? They were rather blatant about "turning out the black vote". It was in the news all the time about blacks who had never voted a day in their lives....but were voting because obama was black...and black alone. You should have paid more attention and a little less about the feel good rose colored glasses they wanted everyone to wear.

A lot of very bright folks voted for Obama though and didn't see the 'turn out the black vote' as all that sinister a thing. It was a GOOD thing to get people interested and involved. Little did we know there were less than pure motives and dubious methods being used. Being a former media type myself, I was perhaps more jaded and skeptical than most. I read his books and those popped up some red flags. Evenmoreso when I checked up on his history and what he had been doing with his life up to the 2008 campaign. So I didn't vote for him even though McCain was my LAST choice to be the GOP nominee. Those without the time and tenaciousness depended on the media to inform them. And the media was very very kind to Barack Hussein Obama once he was the official nominee.

Forum List

Back