Is quitting your party "Betrayal"?

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
Now this is a little fun to read. Transcripts of a conversation between Hannity and Pat Toomey.

FOXNews.com - Toomey on Opponent Specter's Party Switch - Hannity

Now, I have many disagreements with Democrats, but I vote for them because what I think the Republicans offer is a snowjob. The Republicans can talk a good game, but can any one point to their performance and say "This is exactly what America needs or wants?"

I find todays Republican Party wanting. Their style in governance abhorrent, and their competance level dismal at best. Maybe you do not. But, in comparison to previous administrations and former Congresses, I really have the feeling that the Republicans not only lost their principles, but also their minds!!

In any case, the interview is kind of funny. Of course Specter left to maintain his seat. What--the GOP already told him they did not want him, so what was Sen. Spector to do?

he's kinda like a cheating spouse,, he quit the dems went to the republicans now he is back with the dems,, kinda used merchandise neither side will ever trust again.. hey?

if i was a dem in PA who had paid my dues and planned to run for the senate, i'd be more than somewhat pissed off that obama and the rest of the party just told me to go shit in my hat because arlen's our boy. if anyone has a right to feel betrayed, it would be him/her. change we can all believe in. :lol:

"White House officials said that there was no realistic way to guarantee that Mr. Specter would not face a primary race for the Democratic nomination, but noted that there was no Democrat in a position to resist the state’s political machine and make a serious challenge. More than that, White House officials said they had assured Mr. Specter that Mr. Obama would campaign for him and raise money for him if necessary."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/us/politics/30specter.html?_r=1&ref=politics

Is quitting your party "Betrayal"?
He never was a Republican to begin with. Truth be known if the Republicans had not sold themselves to the banks and insurance companies they'd still be good in with the people who have put them in charge. Not to say dems are any better because you still have a bunch of self serving people who could care less about the people they are supposedly representing.

Last edited:
if i was a dem in PA who had paid my dues and planned to run for the senate, i'd be more than somewhat pissed off that obama and the rest of the party just told me to go shit in my hat because arlen's our boy. if anyone has a right to feel betrayed, it would be him/her. change we can all believe in. :lol:

"White House officials said that there was no realistic way to guarantee that Mr. Specter would not face a primary race for the Democratic nomination, but noted that there was no Democrat in a position to resist the state’s political machine and make a serious challenge. More than that, White House officials said they had assured Mr. Specter that Mr. Obama would campaign for him and raise money for him if necessary."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/us/politics/30specter.html?_r=1&ref=politics

well crap Del. they did the same damn thing to Hillary.. You get nothing for loyalty to the democwats.. ask the bondholders at GM..

Yes it is to the party that loses out, but so what?

There is no rule or law that controls who you are supposed to support.

Not yet anyway.

he's kinda like a cheating spouse,, he quit the dems went to the republicans now he is back with the dems,, kinda used merchandise neither side will ever trust again.. hey?

The only problem I see with that is, the Dems seem to have no problem with trust, so long as one says what they want to hear.

What's interesting to me is, Specter was obviously unwilling to work/fight for the changes he feels are necessary in the Repub party that no longer is representative of his views/interests. Isn't that why he left the Dems in the first place?

And wasn't that basically the Dems' problem after they took control of Congress in '06? That they were unwilling to work/fight for the changes they felt were necessary, and campaigned on to win the elections?

So long as one says what they want to hear....

Leaving a political party is in no way betrayal. But switching political parties to increase the likelihood of getting reelected is sleazy at best.

Forum List

Back