GOP becoming small enough to drown in a bucket

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
This is just too funny for words.
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.'s appearance at a Michigan county Republican Party event was scrapped this week after the county chairwoman said that hosting the moderate Utah governor would mean abandoning the party's conservative principles.

Kent County Republican Party Chairwoman Joanne Voorhees abruptly canceled the party fundraiser scheduled for Saturday.

"The voters want and expect us to stand on principle and return to our roots. Unfortunately, by holding an event with Governor Huntsman, we would be doing the exact opposite," Voorhees wrote in an e-mail quoted in The Grand Rapids Press .

Voorhees did not specify which issues she felt were contrary to the party's principles and did not return messages left at the party headquarters and on her cell phone.

The group Campaign for Michigan Families praised the cancellation, attributing it to Huntsman's support of civil unions, and urged the Oakland and Kalamazoo county parties, where Huntsman is also scheduled to speak this weekend, to do the same.
Michigan GOP official cancels Huntsman event in protest - Salt Lake Tribune

Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.'s appearance at a Michigan county Republican Party event was scrapped this week after the county chairwoman said that hosting the moderate Utah governor would mean abandoning the party's conservative principles.

Kent County Republican Party Chairwoman Joanne Voorhees abruptly canceled the party fundraiser scheduled for Saturday.

"The voters want and expect us to stand on principle and return to our roots. Unfortunately, by holding an event with Governor Huntsman, we would be doing the exact opposite," Voorhees wrote in an e-mail quoted in The Grand Rapids Press .

Voorhees did not specify which issues she felt were contrary to the party's principles and did not return messages left at the party headquarters and on her cell phone.

The group Campaign for Michigan Families praised the cancellation, attributing it to Huntsman's support of civil unions, and urged the Oakland and Kalamazoo county parties, where Huntsman is also scheduled to speak this weekend, to do the same.

Drown in a bucket? :eusa_eh: Unfortunate choice of words there , Ravi.

Sounds like torture. :eusa_whistle:

too bad they are shrinking, they're the only ones with balls big enough to fight terrorism.

:lol: It's an old saying.

Anywho...by next year only the rabid torturers and bible thumpers will be left, I'm thinking.

aying.

Anywho...by next year only the rabid torturers and bible thumpers will be left, I'm thinking.

I've seen the prediction of the demise of the other party come and go with every election in the last 30 years. I see no reason to suspect it is any more true this time than it was before. The wheel turns.
Absolutely...I just don't see this wheel turning very quickly.

It may not.

If people get increasingly mad at Congress I could see the GOP gaining ground there. I think Obama is likely to be re-elected, and then after that much will rest on the respective candidates chosen by the parties.

I've seen the prediction of the demise of the other party come and go with every election in the last 30 years. I see no reason to suspect it is any more true this time than it was before. The wheel turns.

Fixed. :cool:

too bad they are shrinking, they're the only ones with balls big enough to fight terrorism.

No one is buying that Wiwwow.

In fact, read this article from 2006 when your party first started falling apart. Experts 3 years ago debunked your myth that your war on terrorism was keeping us safe:

Time Mag Pronounces Republican Party “Dead” | Sweetness & Light

To win votes back home, lawmakers in session have been spending like sailors on leave, producing the biggest budget deficits in history. The party's approach to national security has taken the country into a war that most Americans now believe was a mistake and that the government's own intelligence experts say has shaped "a new generation of terrorist leaders and operatives."

The current crisis arrived with a sex scandal that has muddied one of the GOP's few remaining patches of moral high ground — their defense of family values and personal accountability.

Though Hastert and other Republican leaders say they heard last fall about the "over-friendly" approaches of a not-so-secretly gay congressman to a 16-year-old former page, they insist they never imagined anything like the more graphic instant messages that subsequently came to light.

But shouldn't they have gotten chills at learning that a 52-year-old man had sent a teenager a creepy e-mail asking for a "pic of you"? Certainly, the page understood what the emails meant, which is why he forwarded it in August 2005 to the office of Louisiana Congressman Rodney Alexander, who had sponsored him for the page program.

"This freaked me out," the teenager wrote. "Sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick."

The House response — John Shimkus, the Illinois congressman who oversees the page program, appears to have done nothing more than give Foley a private warning; he wasn't even stripped of his co-chairmanship of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children — suggests that Republican leaders were motivated more by fear of electoral fallout than by concern for the young pages in their care.

And if they were worried the revelation would hurt their chances of holding onto the House, they turned out to be right. In the latest TIME poll, nearly 80 percent of respondents said they were aware of the scandal, and two-thirds of them were convinced that Republican leaders had tried to cover it up.

Among the registered voters who were polled, 54 percent said they would be more likely to vote for the Democratic candidate for Congress, compared with 39 percent who favored the Republican.

Hastert's job seems secure for the moment, barring any big new revelations, in part because the House Speaker is not merely a party leader but a role established under the Constitution. It would be difficult to replace him without summoning Congress back into town from the campaign trail. Nor would an ugly fight over who would succeed him be good for the party's prospects in November.

Meanwhile, GOP leaders are so desperate to find someone else to blame that they have been reduced — with no indication that they see the irony — to blaming a vast left-wing conspiracy.

"The people who want to see this thing blow up," Hastert told the Chicago Tribune, "are ABC News and a lot of Democratic operatives, people funded by George Soros," the liberal financier who has become a bogeyman of the right. Hastert went on to suggest, without producing any proof, that the revelation was the work of Bill Clinton's operatives."

aying.

Only thing is, it is happening.

Your party has to completely change or it is doomed. The message isn't working. No one is buying it. Yet you stick to it like Bush stayed the course in Iraq.

Your party has to completely change or it is doomed. The message isn't working. No one is buying it. Yet you stick to it like Bush stayed the course in Iraq.

Except that I voted for Obama.

As I pointed out directly to you before.

I've never voted GOP.

So you're either an illiterate, or a dishonest partisan hack. Or both. I vote both.

Only thing is, it is happening.

Your party has to completely change or it is doomed. The message isn't working. No one is buying it. Yet you stick to it like Obama is staying the course in Iraq.

fixed:cool:

Well Val, the economic guru for today's Republican party is a guy named Grover Norquist. Norquist is PROUD to be called a radical...He holds weekly meetings so Republicans are all indoctrinated to his radical beliefs...

He's stated he wants to shrink government to the size he can drown in a bathtub, and this telling quote...

"We're going to crush labor as a political entity"
Grover Norquist

It may not.

If people get increasingly mad at Congress I could see the GOP gaining ground there. I think Obama is likely to be re-elected, and then after that much will rest on the respective candidates chosen by the parties.
That would be logical. For some reason the GOP isn't capitalizing on the *gasp* communist turn of the nation. Instead they are busy coming up with litmus tests for membership. As far as I can tell the only problem any conservative would have with the Utah gov is that he is for civil unions...not even marriage! And frankly, being for civil unions seems a rather conservative stance to me. What are they thinking?

It may not.

That would be logical. For some reason the GOP isn't capitalizing on the *gasp* communist turn of the nation. Instead they are busy coming up with litmus tests for membership. As far as I can tell the only problem any conservative would have with the Utah gov is that he is for civil unions...not even marriage! And frankly, being for civil unions seems a rather conservative stance to me. What are they thinking?

michigan is the state that gave us sealybobo.

i rest my case.

It may not.

You've got it surrounded, just connect the dots... thinking requires........................

They have let themselves become increasingly identified with religious social issues. The GOP would stand a much better chance if they'd go back to their roots in fiscal conservatism and relax on the social issues. There are a number of moderates who would likely vote for a Republican were it not for the religious grip on the social platform (i.e. if the GOP said forget social issues, we're going to concentrate on fiscal ones).

Doesn't mean they're right on all the fiscal issues, but I think their attractiveness on that score exceeds their attractiveness on social issues when considering the country as a whole.

Except that I voted for Obama.

As I pointed out directly to you before.

I've never voted GOP.

So you're either an illiterate, or a dishonest partisan hack. Or both. I vote both.

Then start defending Obama. It isn't enough to SAY that you voted for him, and then bash him for 4 years. You aren't helping him get his agenda thru or helping him get re-elected.

And how does me making a mistake and assuming you were a right winger when you said what you said, how does that make me "dishonest"?

I may be one sided, but that's because the GOP was that bad for the country. Any doubt about that anymore?

So forgive me for making a mistake. Like you are so important and memorable that I'm supposed to remember you and what you have said? Get over yourself. LOL.

Then start defending Obama. It isn't enough to SAY that you voted for him, and then bash him for 4 years. You aren't helping him get his agenda thru or helping him get re-elected.

And how does me making a mistake and assuming you were a right winger when you said what you said, how does that make me "dishonest"?

I may be one sided, but that's because the GOP was that bad for the country. Any doubt about that anymore?

So forgive me for making a mistake. Like you are so important and memorable that I'm supposed to remember you and what you have said? Get over yourself. LOL.

I haven't based Obama. I merely pointed out this sort of thing is always cyclical.

And your mistake wasn't in not remembering me, it is in assuming that any time someone says something you don't agree with they are some kind of right-wing GOPer. You make that mistake in every thread I've seen you post in.

I should add - I'll defend Obama when I think he's right and criticize him when I think he's wrong, and any self-respecting Democrat, Liberal, Progressive, etc. would do exactly the same. We need fewer partisan hacks who pretend their party or elected official can never mess up.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back