Is Peyton Manning the greatest NFL player ever?

The OP is too funny. This conversation ended when Brady won his 4th. There is no serious question now.

I think Montana is better than Brady.

Montana was the lucky recipient of the then-new West Coast Offense born by Don Coryell at San Diego State and improved upon at San Diego and at San Francisco by Bill Walsh with help by the young assistant QB coach Mike Holmgren.

Montana and Young were not exceptional talents..look at their records... but they had the best Offensive systems to play in and indeed were clutch in big games.

Only Montana had enough talent to make it all come together. If he hadn't, someone else, maybe Kurt Warner, would have gotten the credit for making the West Coast Offense the greatest strategy of all-time, or it would have never happened at all.

The OP is too funny. This conversation ended when Brady won his 4th. There is no serious question now.

Montana was the lucky recipient of the then-new West Coast Offense born by Don Coryell at San Diego State and improved upon at San Diego and at San Francisco by Bill Walsh with help by the young assistant QB coach Mike Holmgren.

Montana and Young were not exceptional talents..look at their records... but they had the best Offensive systems to play in and indeed were clutch in big games.

Only Montana had enough talent to make it all come together. If he hadn't, someone else, maybe Kurt Warner, would have gotten the credit for making the West Coast Offense the greatest strategy of all-time, or it would have never happened at all.

I don't know Steve Young didn't do anything in Tampa bay

I don't know Steve Young didn't do anything in Tampa bay

Young was mentored by Montana who proved his worthiness first. The competition between the two would not have lasted long enough for Young to get that kind of a jump any other way.

Last edited:

Shady Brady
He's the all time leader in total offense and has 5 regular season MVPs while no one else has more than 3. The big knock on him is he only has one super bowl ring while other contenders like brady and montana have 4.

I'd vote for Montana and Joe Greene for defense.

I vote Montana as the best modern day QB of all time.Johnny Unitas as the all time great though especially since he played in an era where players on defense were allowed to throw the quarterback around like a rag doll. the last 20 years or so in this day and age, quarterbacks have been treated like girls with skirts on.

In the days of even when Montana played,you could at least throw the quarterback around like a rag doll thats why its so absurd to say any quarterback playing now like Manning is the greatest quarterback of all time.

Also back then opposing defenses got away more so with bumping and covering receivers where in this day and age you practically are not allowed to even touch the defender anymore.

Last edited:

Shady Brady
He's the all time leader in total offense and has 5 regular season MVPs while no one else has more than 3. The big knock on him is he only has one super bowl ring while other contenders like brady and montana have 4.

I vote Montana as the best modern day QB of all time.Johnny Unitas as the all time great though especially since he played in an era where players on defense were allowed to throw the quarterback around like a rag doll. the last 20 years or so in this day and age, quarterbacks have been treated like girls with skirts on.

In the days of even when Montana played,you could at least throw the quarterback around like a rag doll thats why its so absurd to say any quarterback playing now like Manning is the greatest quarterback of all time.

Also back then opposing defenses got away more so with bumping and covering receivers where in this day and age you practically are not allowed to even touch the defender anymore.

Not so but the D Back is "practically" not allowed to grab the receiver or impede progress outside of the 5 yards from LOS.

Funny but the CB who much of the new rules have been installed to "slow down" is Richard Sherman and strangely he has had little criticism of these regulations.

Shady Brady

Not so but the D Back is "practically" not allowed to grab the receiver or impede progress outside of the 5 yards from LOS.

Funny but the CB who much of the new rules have been installed to "slow down" is Richard Sherman and strangely he has had little criticism of these regulations.

that is why I have to admit they have arguably the best defense in history the fact they are playing in an era where they are practically not allowed to touch the receivers anymore.

Jim Brown

I've already proved that incorrect. Brownie only played 9 years. Pay attention.

Which means shit
Nine years is a full career......nobody did it better than Jim Brown

Barry Sanders is the best running back. It's the moves that count most.
I would say either Barry Sanders or Jim Brown was the best running back ever,both played for crappy teams so thats all the more impressive they did so well.

There are a lot of things to consider. A Super Bowl team often doesn't start out with that level of quality. Leadership by both staff and players needs to be intense to get it rollin'.

Often those Super Bowl teams don't have a running back anywhere near the top in his conference, then that is why the play calling is so critical including calls for the pass game. Balancing all that and the players getting themselves psyched up to the max each game, running one of the best 2-minute offenses in the league, making throws on the first or last play of the game that score a touchdown or give field position for the winning field goal are all needed. To compare Brady and Montana you would have to rate the teams on each of these category and see how much they contributed and also how much the quarterback contributed. Brady would be the only serious contender for Montana's undisputed title.

I would say either Barry Sanders or Jim Brown was the best running back ever,both played for crappy teams so thats all the more impressive they did so well.

Brown played 9 years and was in the NFL championship game 3 years. Every one of his 9 years the browns won more games than they lost.

To answer the question in the OP, "Oh, HELL NO!"

The greatest player ever, was Jim Brown.

2nd was Gale Sayers.

3rd was Johnny Unitas.

Forum List

Back