Is marketing a "Plus Size Barbie" a "good" thing?

The Effects of Playing with Thin Dolls on Body Image and Food Intake in Young Girls

Although there has been discussion about the extremely thin body of Barbie, only one experimental study actually tested the effects of exposure to images of Barbie on body image in a sample of young girls’ from the United Kingdom (Dittmar et al. 2006). In that study, 5- to 8-year-old girls were exposed to images of Barbie or to images of Emme (developed by Tonner); a doll with more realistic body proportions that was endorsed by the American Dietetic Association as a healthy role model for young girls. They found that girls between the ages of 5.5 to 7.5 years old had lower body esteem scores and a greater discrepancy between actual and ideal body sizes or actual and adult body sizes (relative difference between the actual body size of the girl and her desired adult body size) if they were exposed to images of a Barbie, whereas exposure to images of the Emme doll had no effects on these variables. However, children between the ages of 7.5 and 8.5 experienced greater actual and adult body discrepancies if exposed to images of Emme, whereas no effects were found for exposure to images of Barbie in this age group. Dittmar et al. (2006) reasoned that the age difference they found can be explained by the fact that the girls under the age of 7.5 are still developing a self-concept and therefore use Barbie actively as a reference norm, whereas girls older than 7.5 years have already internalized the thin ideal as a cognitive self-concept structure (see also Vygotsky 1991).

And has this study been replicated to verify the results?

I am loathe to take the results of one study as indicative as anything, in particular ones that deal with such vagartieis as "body esteem scores"

My loathing of studies goes both ways, for example you will not see me run to that "gay parents are bad because of this study" post and say it proves all and ends all.

Studies are just that, studies, ones that have not been repeated independently multiple times are particularly bad.

weird playing with a shapely doll causes all kinds of problems

yet being flooded with violence on the internet the tube and theater

has no effect on the youth

And has this study been replicated to verify the results?

I am loathe to take the results of one study as indicative as anything, in particular ones that deal with such vagartieis as "body esteem scores"

My loathing of studies goes both ways, for example you will not see me run to that "gay parents are bad because of this study" post and say it proves all and ends all.

Studies are just that, studies, ones that have not been repeated independently multiple times are particularly bad.

weird playing with a shapely doll causes all kinds of problems

yet being flooded with violence on the internet the tube and theater

has no effect on the youth

Of course they all have an effect. The environment affects one, whether it is children growing and developing into individuals and adults, or people who are already adults.

We didn't have those kinds of sociological studies then, but had one been done on the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin and its influence in accelerating the beginning of the civil war, what would have been found? The media influences how we think. How we play and the toys we play with affect how we think. Everything in the environment affects how a person develops and thinks. When I was a kid, I had the Barbie board game. The goal was to get a date with Ken for the prom. The last guy you wanted to end up with was Poindexter, a red haired, freckle faced skinny nerd. Who looked a lot like Bill Gates. As it turns out, Ken is just a cute surfer guy; Poindexter is one of the richest guys in the world. Who knew?

Games, TV, movies, books, magazines, everything, media and non-media, in our environment influences how we develop our perception of the world and ourselves. We don't need studies to tell us that.

As far as gay parents creating gay kids: we don't need studies to show us that most kids raised by gay parents do not turn out gay. If you know any gay people, you know that. Relying too much on studies to tell us what to think is one of the ills of modern society.

Last edited:
That fat Photoshop job is disgusting. You like some curves and good jiggles, but not like that. A normal woman will gain some weight throughout her life, especially post menopause and there's nothing wrong with it, but the propensity today is obese young girls which is neither attractive nor healthy.

I think the obsession with the old Barbie body type is women's issues of lack of self esteem. I never heard a single one of my sisters, cousins or anyone else worrying that they couldn't compare to a plastic doll.

You see this problem, like most problems of this nature, begin at home when the person is a child. That poor perspective is carried into adulthood and remains with that person until they chnage it. If there is no parent who will take the responsibility to guide and nurture the child then there will complications regarding that issue.

When referencing First Lady Michelle Obama's comments on body size and eating disorders ... I found her comments regarding the "Let's Move" initiative.
She said ... "Childhood Obesity is actually a National Security Threat" ... Not teenaged anorexia.

Guess what ... She blames American Corporations and their influence over policy for Childhood Obesity.
People blame Barbie for Low Esteem and Anorexia ... Then blame games and media of for a plethora of other disorders.

Sounds to me like a lot of people blaming a lot of a other people ... And for the most part it is nothing more than an agenda.
You don't have to look like Fat Barbie or Skinny Barbie ... It is better to be Healthy Barbie or Kick Ass Barbie.

It is a good thing I am not a parent ... Because I would teach my child that fear of failure and lack of effort are the only two things to be ashamed of.

I do not find ^^those women^^ attractive either.

I am sure they don't care what you find attractive ... Healthy is better than unhealthy any day.

I bet they don't care because there are plenty of men with a fetish for women with bodies like male swimmers.

There is nothing unhealthy with body fat on a woman. Those women in the pictures have too much testosterone.

raquel-welch.jpg

Curvy and soft, not jagged and ripped. This is female perfection.

Exactly.

And normal is neither anorexic nor plus.

It would take surgery to look like Barbie, it doesn't take surgery to be a normal size. Size 14 is the average (aka normal) dress size in the US, and anything above 12 is considered plus size. I guess that makes you wrong.

I don't think so. I'm not sure, but I think plus sizes are at least 18, and definitely above that. Fourteen, I doubt that is a plus size. Also, my understanding is that sizes have actually changed. What used to be a 4, for example, is now a 2, and a current 6 is what used to be an 8, etc. So, women think they are wearing a smaller size and are happier with that illusion, but this is something else I'm not sure of. My experience is that sizes vary according to the manufacturer. I can wear anything within a rage of 3 sizes depending on the manufacturer.

I suggest you argue with Bloomingdale's, and the rest of the fashion industry, not me. 1x is size 14.

women_plus_size_chart.gif

I would say Barbie makes a better role model than Marilyn Monroe.

The comparison is to a Raggedy Ann Doll..not Marilyn Monroe.

Really ... ?

Fashion, Popularity, Looks, Boyfriends, Nice Car and Home ... Then add two pages of Marilyn Monroe pictures.
I believe there was a comparison made there ... And Marilyn could have been considered to have all of those things going for her.
I wasn't talking about Raggedy Ann ... I was referring to your description of Barbie.

Does Barbie's Playhouse come with police tape and a chalk-line in the bedroom?

Marilyn, being a human being with real life issues, does not compare to the Barbie doll...
The Barbie doll portrays all that is superficial...does she not?

I am sure they don't care what you find attractive ... Healthy is better than unhealthy any day.

A woman can be healthy and not look like the women you posted...most men prefer softer, curvier women at a healthy weight for their particular build over a woman who looks as if she's competing against him in the gym.

Black sand wants his women to look as much like a male chippendale dancer as they can.

Marilyn, being a human being with real life issues, does not compare to the Barbie doll...
The Barbie doll portrays all that is superficial...does she not?

Well ... If wealth, success, popularity, style, and sustainability are superficial ... I could see your point.
From my standpoint ... There is nothing wrong with looking good, feeling good, being successful and providing for myself ... And I wouldn't really say that it is superficial nor would I want it any other way.

I think everything got screwed up when people decided that appearance, success, sustainability and whatnot were somehow second to some artificial notion that what someone thinks is better than what they can produce.
But hey ... I know most people do not want to be judged ... Not unless they get to pick the criteria anyways.

It's modeled as an ideal ...

Since when? When have you ever heard it suggested to young girls that they should look like their dolls? Did Raggy-Ann cause girls to pluck out their eyes and sew in buttons in their place?

Barbie is the epitome of fashion and popularity...good looks, boyfriend, nice car, home etc.
Barbie is all that is material wealth and good looks. You can not compare the Raggedy-Ann doll with that.

Of course you can. They are both dolls. Little girls who cannot make that determination have much bigger problems than body image.

A woman can be healthy and not look like the women you posted...most men prefer softer, curvier women at a healthy weight for their particular build over a woman who looks as if she's competing against him in the gym.

I didn't say women couldn't be healthy and not look like the women I posted.
I didn't suggest anyone should or even could put forth the effort to look that way ... Just that you didn't have to be fat or skinny ... And don't have to give a rat's ass about what anyone else thinks.

Well ... When most men are interested in more than what I look like ... Then maybe they will be worthwhile.
I have no doubt that men don't like being in competition with a woman ... Whether it is in the gym or the boardroom ... And don't much care about that either.

Sure I would be happier if I let society tell me what to look like ... What I could achieve ... When I need to be satisfied with less that what is optimal for my endeavors lowering my standards along the way.
But No Thanks ... You can deal with that disappointment and everything it brings with it.

Last edited:

I didn't suggest anyone should or even could put forth the effort to look that way ... Just that you didn't have to be fat or skinny ... And don't have to give a rat's ass about what anyone else thinks.

Well ... When most men are interested in more than what I look like ... Then maybe they will be worthwhile.
I have no doubt that men don't like being in competition with a woman ... Whether it is in the gym or the boardroom ... And don't much care about that either.

Sure I would be happier if I let society tell me what to look like ... What I could achieve ... When I need to be satisfied with less that what is optimal for my endeavors lowering my standards along the way.
But No Thanks ... You can deal with that disappointment and everything it brings with it.

Being defensive and judgmental is not attractive either.

Being defensive and judgmental is not attractive either.

Nope.

I think that's why I see so many guys getting bent about her 'letting herself go.' Maybe they should have seen if what was inside was a keeper, so he didn't get left with a bitter, angry harridan.

Kinda karmic, really.

Forum List

Back