Is marketing a "Plus Size Barbie" a "good" thing?

Being defensive and judgmental is not attractive either.

I couldn't disagree ... And look at who is defensive as well as judgmental ... And what they find unattractive.

Sorry, not following your logic. That might be because you could barely string together a sentence in your rage, but I digress.

The normal weight Barbie at the link looks healthy - neither the anorexic nor the obese Barbie is a good role model for girls. In either case, Barbies are just boring models.

Plus-sized Barbie ignites volcanic debate on obesity, body image and anorexia | Examiner.com

tumblr_lp88dzNy2z1qeyi51o1_500.jpg

So, is marketing a "plus size Barbie" a good idea?

Yes, it is more realistic and representative of the adult female anatomy, than the original. Since Barbies will be around forever, it seems, they should reflect the body of a more average person, for better or for worse and in my opinion.

Just my opinion, the triple chin on that Barbie indicates fat, not 'plus sized'.
These are plus sized women (no triple chins).

plus-size-models.jpg

plus-size-models-4.jpg

plus_size_swimsuit_issue_plus_model_magazine_fluvia.jpg

I have neither the time nor desire to read all 13 pages of this thread.
Yes, we all know that Barbie is not an accurate depiction of women. However, here in the US, 2/3 of people are overweight and 1/3 are obese. I think it would be kind of ridiculous to mimic that in children's toys/dolls nor do I see what benefit that would provide to society.

Being defensive and judgmental is not attractive either.

I couldn't disagree ... And look at who is defensive as well as judgmental ... And what they find unattractive.

Sorry, not following your logic. That might be because you could barely string together a sentence in your rage, but I digress.

The reason you don't follow the logic is because you think there is some kind of rage, some kind of desire for approval ... And you always digress to the lowest common denominator so no surprise there.
I didn't once say that anyone should think one way or another ... Didn't defend Barbie, Marilyn Monroe, Fat Women, Skinny Women or tell anyone they were wrong in what they believe.

I did mention that Barbie would be a better role model than Marilyn Monroe.
I did say that there are choices outside of fat, skinny or just plain average.
The problem you have is the desire to make excuses for people ... And get offended by others who fall outside of what you see as acceptable.

You and your kind are the ones that do the judging ... And you can stuff your judgment up your ass for all I care.
Send me a PM if you need it explained better.

Last edited:
plus_size_swimsuit_issue_plus_model_magazine_fluvia.jpg

These tightly packaged babes are slightly more than "plus" size.

The reason you don't follow the logic is because you think there is some kind of rage, some kind of desire for approval ... And you always digress to the lowest common denominator so no surprise there.
I didn't once say that anyone should think one way or another ... Didn't defend Barbie, Marilyn Monroe, Fat Women, Skinny Women or tell anyone they were wrong in what they believe.

I did mention that Barbie would be a better role model than Marilyn Monroe.
I did say that there are choices outside of fat, skinny or just plain average.
The problem you have is the desire to make excuses for people ... And get offended by others who fall outside of what you see as acceptable.

You and your kind are the ones that do the judging ... And you can stuff your judgment up your ass for all I care.
Send me a PM if you need it explained better.

I 'think' there's some kind of rage? Honey, you're practically foaming at the mouth.

I 'think' there's some kind of rage? Honey, you're practically foaming at the mouth.

You know me ... Practically about to melt down and start passing judgment any second now ... Nothing like you all calm, cool and collected ... Lolz.

You know me ... Practically about to melt down and start passing judgment any second now ... Nothing like you all calm, cool and collected ... Lolz.

Is that why I fell asleep? Damn, I should lose control more often.

Link more smilies, that should prove you didn't insult A&D and then me for no reason whatsoever, XXXXX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some alterations might be done to the very skinny-looking doll so that they don't contribute to girls unhealthy self-image that contributes to illness through malnutrition.

What contributes more to teen malnutrition, is the pop-culture going on. Those are the worst role-models for kids. Clean that up, clean up the parents supervision of the kids and knock off the unrealistic and extreme Barbies, and our teens may have a chance.

Never happen. There's too much ignorance in America and it is too late. :eusa_hand:

What is your proof the barbie causes anorexia? Far more american women are overweight or obese than anorexic. If the girls who owned barbies, far more become overweight or obese. We could just as well say the barbie is to blame for obesity by your hairbrained logic.

Here's the math. If a Barbie were a real woman, she'd be 6 ft tall, 100 lbs, with a 16 inch waist. Her BMI would be 13.6. A BMI below 18.5 is underweight; Barbie's would be severely anorexic. At that level, she would likely suffer from amenorrhea as well as the host of starvation related diseases.

Since when? When have you ever heard it suggested to young girls that they should look like their dolls? Did Raggy-Ann cause girls to pluck out their eyes and sew in buttons in their place?

Barbie is the epitome of fashion and popularity...good looks, boyfriend, nice car, home etc.
Barbie is all that is material wealth and good looks. You can not compare the Raggedy-Ann doll with that.

I would say Barbie makes a better role model than Marilyn Monroe.

You said little booby. Barbie is not a real person. A doll is not a role model.

The comparison is to a Raggedy Ann Doll..not Marilyn Monroe.

Really ... ?

Fashion, Popularity, Looks, Boyfriends, Nice Car and Home ... Then add two pages of Marilyn Monroe pictures.
I believe there was a comparison made there ... And Marilyn could have been considered to have all of those things going for her.
I wasn't talking about Raggedy Ann ... I was referring to your description of Barbie.

Does Barbie's Playhouse come with police tape and a chalk-line in the bedroom?

Marilyn, being a human being with real life issues, does not compare to the Barbie doll...
The Barbie doll portrays all that is superficial...does she not?

A doll is an inanimate object upon which the possessor projects. It's quite telling that BS prefers such to a real woman. Maybe he is DaveCat!

Meet The Men Who Gave Up Dating For Life-Sized Dolls - Business Insider

Really ... ?

Fashion, Popularity, Looks, Boyfriends, Nice Car and Home ... Then add two pages of Marilyn Monroe pictures.
I believe there was a comparison made there ... And Marilyn could have been considered to have all of those things going for her.
I wasn't talking about Raggedy Ann ... I was referring to your description of Barbie.

Does Barbie's Playhouse come with police tape and a chalk-line in the bedroom?

Marilyn, being a human being with real life issues, does not compare to the Barbie doll...
The Barbie doll portrays all that is superficial...does she not?

A doll is an inanimate object upon which the possessor projects. It's quite telling that BS prefers such to a real woman. Maybe he is DaveCat!

Meet The Men Who Gave Up Dating For Life-Sized Dolls - Business Insider

This is the logical end of "what she looks like is more important than what she has inside" conflated with "I want the hottest woman on the planet, but I am not so hot myself."

what contributes more to teen malnutrition, is the pop-culture going on. Those are the worst role-models for kids. Clean that up, clean up the parents supervision of the kids and knock off the unrealistic and extreme barbies, and our teens may have a chance.

Never happen. There's too much ignorance in america and it is too late. :eusa_hand:

what is your proof the barbie causes anorexia? Far more american women are overweight or obese than anorexic. If the girls who owned barbies, far more become overweight or obese. We could just as well say the barbie is to blame for obesity by your hairbrained logic.

here's the math. if a barbie were a real woman, she'd be 6 ft tall, 100 lbs, with a 16 inch waist. Her bmi would be 13.6. A bmi below 18.5 is underweight; barbie's would be severely anorexic. At that level, she would likely suffer from amenorrhea as well as the host of starvation related diseases.

lol.

Forum List

Back