Is marketing a "Plus Size Barbie" a "good" thing?

R

rdean

Plus-sized Barbie ignites volcanic debate on obesity, body image and anorexia | Examiner.com

tumblr_lp88dzNy2z1qeyi51o1_500.jpg

So, is marketing a "plus size Barbie" a good idea?

dean is xxx large in stupid..

butI kind of think this a better iideat to show girls women as women, rather than unhealthy models

Yes, it is more realistic and representative of the fatass female anatomy of today, than the original. Since Barbies will be around forever, it seems, they should reflect the body of a more average person, for better or for worse and in my opinion.

Fixed it for ya.

Galia Slayen: The Scary Reality of a Real-Life Barbie Doll

• There are two Barbie dolls sold every second in the world.
• The target market for Barbie doll sales is young girls ages 3-12 years of age.
• A girl usually has her first Barbie by age 3, and collects a total of seven dolls during her childhood.
• Over a billion dollars worth of Barbie dolls and accessories were sold in 1993, making this doll big business and one of the top 10 toys sold.
• If Barbie were an actual women, she would be 5'9" tall, have a 39" bust, an 18" waist, 33" hips and a size 3 shoe.
• Barbie calls this a "full figure" and likes her weight at 110 lbs.
• At 5'9" tall and weighing 110 lbs, Barbie would have a BMI of 16.24 and fit the weight criteria for anorexia. She likely would not menstruate.
• If Barbie was a real woman, she'd have to walk on all fours due to her proportions.
• Slumber Party Barbie was introduced in 1965 and came with a bathroom scale permanently set at 110 lbs with a book entitled "How to Lose Weight" with directions inside stating simply "Don't eat."

I think most women are somewhere in between the two Barbies in the OP.

Yes, it is more realistic and representative of the adult female anatomy, than the original. Since Barbies will be around forever, it seems, they should reflect the body of a more average person, for better or for worse and in my opinion.

IMO neither one of those dolls represents a typical or realistic idea of what the female body looks like. I think it would make more sense to get rid of the original Barbie body but not create one who is obese. Create one who represents what is realistic for a healthy, normally shaped female. Something somewhere between to these two images.

Some alterations might be done to the very skinny-looking doll so that they don't contribute to girls unhealthy self-image that contributes to illness through malnutrition.

Last edited:

I think it's just public relations. 'Barbie' has gotten so much bad press for unrealistic depictions this is probably just a response to that.

While I understand fat-shaming doesn't work, the fact remains that being fat is not advantageous or healthy, so encouraging or accepting it is counter-productive. Might as well come out with a drinking and smoking Barbie if going that way.

Yes, it is more realistic and representative of the adult female anatomy, than the original. Since Barbies will be around forever, it seems, they should reflect the body of a more average person, for better or for worse and in my opinion.

IMO neither one of those dolls represents a typical or realistic idea of what the female body looks like. I think it would make more sense to get rid of the original Barbie body but not create one who is obese. Create one who represents what is realistic for a healthy, normally shaped female. Something somewhere between to these two images.

I so agree....

Why are we not having this coversation about bratz dolls with thier oversized heads, collegen injected lips, and plastic surgery cats eyes?

Mattel%20Bratz_Hays.JPG

Or WWE dolls, showing massive roidasauruses.

superstar-scale.jpg

Plus, once girls hit puberty and are really more malleable about body image, they have long since gone past barbie. If you are collecting barbies in your teens you are likely a gay male, not a female.

Why are we not having this coversation about bratz dolls with thier oversized heads, collegen injected lips, and plastic surgery cats eyes?

Mattel%20Bratz_Hays.JPG

superstar-scale.jpg

Plus, once girls hit puberty and are really more malleable about body image, they have long since gone past barbie. If you are collecting barbies in your teens you are likely a gay male, not a female.

My guess would be that Barbies are around my age, and Bratz are - what? Just over ten years old. Barbies have been setting a bad/wrong standard for over 50 years, and probably outsell Bratz by a ridiculous amount.

Mattel%20Bratz_Hays.JPG

superstar-scale.jpg

My guess would be that Barbies are around my age, and Bratz are - what? Just over ten years old. Barbies have been setting a bad/wrong standard for over 50 years, and probably outsell Bratz by a ridiculous amount.

Do 5-10 year olds really see barbies as something body-wise to emulate? Or is this concept the result of 20-30 somethings looking for some excuse in therapy for why they are fat/bulemic/whatever and finding barbies as a convenient target?

I played with GI-joes, I never identified my body image with a doll with kung-fu grip.

Forum List

Back