Is marketing a "Plus Size Barbie" a "good" thing?

What contributes more to teen malnutrition, is the pop-culture going on. Those are the worst role-models for kids. Clean that up, clean up the parents supervision of the kids and knock off the unrealistic and extreme Barbies, and our teens may have a chance.

Never happen. There's too much ignorance in America and it is too late. :eusa_hand:

What is your proof the barbie causes anorexia? Far more american women are overweight or obese than anorexic. If the girls who owned barbies, far more become overweight or obese. We could just as well say the barbie is to blame for obesity by your hairbrained logic.

Here's the math. If a Barbie were a real woman, she'd be 6 ft tall, 100 lbs, with a 16 inch waist. Her BMI would be 13.6. A BMI below 18.5 is underweight; Barbie's would be severely anorexic. At that level, she would likely suffer from amenorrhea as well as the host of starvation related diseases.

If she were a real person she'd find it hard to survive for even a few moments with no internal organs.

All I know is that when I was a child I liked my dolls to be pretty.

Really pretty.

Are children nowadays different? Do they like what is the opposite of pretty?

Who gives a fig anyway, I'm lucky enough not to have gone through today's political correctness shit....I pity those poor souls who have to.

Plus-sized Barbie ignites volcanic debate on obesity, body image and anorexia | Examiner.com

tumblr_lp88dzNy2z1qeyi51o1_500.jpg

So, is marketing a "plus size Barbie" a good idea?

it is an IDIOTIC idea - it is damaging enough to have sky-high obesity in this country, now the idiocy of PC gestapo wants to make an ugly, unhealthy, disgusting obese body an acceptable one. :cuckoo:

Yes, it is more realistic and representative of the adult female anatomy, than the original. Since Barbies will be around forever, it seems, they should reflect the body of a more average person, for better or for worse and in my opinion.

IMO neither one of those dolls represents a typical or realistic idea of what the female body looks like. I think it would make more sense to get rid of the original Barbie body but not create one who is obese. Create one who represents what is realistic for a healthy, normally shaped female. Something somewhere between to these two images.
once in a while I can agree with Esmeralda.

I think it's just public relations. 'Barbie' has gotten so much bad press for unrealistic depictions this is probably just a response to that.

While I understand fat-shaming doesn't work, the fact remains that being fat is not advantageous or healthy, so encouraging or accepting it is counter-productive. Might as well come out with a drinking and smoking Barbie if going that way.

It actually works pretty well - the proof is relatively slim male black population in the inner city areas, where the fat male is ostracized and shunned. which also proves that the idiocy of "they are fat because they are poor and eat unhealthy" is a PC idiocy invented by the left to keep black females getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

Here is a slender, fit, normal healthy young woman. Barbie does not look all that different from this healthy young woman. Barbie is after all a doll...a caricature, if you will. An idealization. But she's not all that far off from what a normal, healthy girl should look like.

Barbie is not that bizarre. People griping about Barbie being too thin, etc. are being silly. Every sensible person, including kids, know that Barbie is just a doll.

Much better to be slim and trim than to carry even a few excess pounds. That has been proven over and over again. Accept it. I tend to gain weight too, but I'm certainly not going to justify it by insisting that little girls be provided with fat dolls. Nor should little girls be tormented if they tend to get a little pudgy. But those who love them should be gently encouraging a lifestyle that lends itself to health and fitness. I mean...duh.

Last edited:
Is marketing a "Plus Size Barbie" a "good" thing?

Sure ... if they offer an out of shape beer belly Ken with a receeding hairline to go with her.

:lol:

Maybe as an alternate to Barbie's palacial doll house they could offer a model of a double wide with some broken down cars to go outside.

:lol:

Forum List

Back