Debate Now Is Libertarianism UnAmerican?

Great point!

Let's explore that a little.

The original US motto of e Pluribus Unum is the concept of combined we are stronger than we are as individuals. (Yes, that is not a literal translation but it is the idea behind it.)

Individual states could not have defeated the might of the British Empire but combined they succeeded. That became an American principle that together We the People could form a more perfect union and achieve great things.

So far it has worked out pretty well and We the People can be proud of our accomplishments.

Now let's compare that to the "rugged individualism" that is at the core of Libertarianism.

Would a Libertarian regime have put a man on the moon?

Would a Libertarian regime even have come up with the Interstate system?

Would there even be our great national parks under a Libertarian regime?

What was the controlling central authority of the Barn Raising?

Non sequitur response.

It is a leading question designed to reveal a truth about the topic. If you answer it.

If you want an answer to your question you will need to answer the questions that I asked first.
Those questions have nothing to do with the OP. The supposed "Libertarian Paradox" is premised on ridiculous misconceptions about libertarianism.

Once again a Libertarian deflects because he cannot defend the truth about the glaring inherent flaws of Libertarianism.

Last edited:

Non sequitur response.

It is a leading question designed to reveal a truth about the topic. If you answer it.

If you want an answer to your question you will need to answer the questions that I asked first.
Those questions have nothing to do with the OP. The supposed "Libertarian Paradox" is premised on ridiculous misconceptions about libertarianism.

Once again a Libertarian deflects because he cannot defend the truth about the glaring inherent flaws of Libertarianism.
One cannot 'defend' a political dogma whose two dominant tenets are fear and greed.

Non sequitur response.

One cannot 'defend' a political dogma whose two dominant tenets are fear and greed.

Agreed!

Furthermore it is becoming ever more apparent that since the Libertarians cannot defend their positions they have chosen to troll the thread in the hopes of having it shut down or moved elsewhere.

Legitimate criticism is something else that is not tolerated in the Libertarian Utopia.

Non sequitur response.

You forgot racism and misogyny.

Non sequitur response.

The far left seems to do a pretty good job of it thought.

Agreed!

Furthermore it is becoming ever more apparent that since the Libertarians cannot defend their positions they have chosen to troll the thread in the hopes of having it shut down or moved elsewhere.

Legitimate criticism is something else that is not tolerated in the Libertarian Utopia.

If we see any such cynicism, perhaps we can test that theory. So far, this thread has failed to offer any. The OP is an empty strawman, and a trollish one at that. It shows no apparent knowledge of libertarian ideals, much less legitimate criticism.

Agreed!

If we see any such cynicism, perhaps we can test that theory. So far, this thread has failed to offer any. The OP is an empty strawman, and a trollish one at that. It shows no apparent knowledge of libertarian ideals, much less legitimate criticism.

Ironic given that you are the one who has demonstrated the appalling lack of knowledge of libertarian ideals by failing to come up with even a pretense of a defense of them.

The reality is that Libertarian dogma is more akin to a religion than a viable political ideology.

Libertarians take their beliefs on faith because they don't stand up to cold hard reality.

The article in the OP was blasted in the first pages of this thread. And yet, somehow the burden of proof is on the libertarians ?

I'll revisit some of my earlier posts......

This from the OP.

Taxation is another Libertarian pipe dream. The refuse to pay for anything that doesn't directly benefit them. So when they refuse to pay taxes to repair roads there are accidents that not only cost lives but impact the efficiency of corporations to receive raw materials and deliver finished goods. There are countless examples along these lines.

They refuse to pay for anything that does not directly benefit them ?

That is simply crapp.

I am not a libertarian......

But I'll ask.....

Are the libertarians on this board posting from prison ? Because that's where they'd be if they "refused".

They may not like it....but many of us don't.

And who is happy to pay for things that don't directly benefit them ?

Why are we repeating this ?

And what countess examples is he speaking of. Did he provide them ? Examples of libertarians refusing to pay (and going to jail) ? They are not there.

So the thread snoozes until everyone forgets and then the OP is back to his same bag of bull.

Agreed!

Ironic given that you are the one who has demonstrated the appalling lack of knowledge of libertarian ideals by failing to come up with even a pretense of a defense of them.

The reality is that Libertarian dogma is more akin to a religion than a viable political ideology.

Libertarians take their beliefs on faith because they don't stand up to cold hard reality.
There's nothing to respond to. If you want a defense, offer a real criticism. What is it you find wrong libertarian ideology? If you avoid the hyperbole and propaganda, and actually address libertarian ideas, I'll be happy to debate the issue.

they are historically failed ideas

your economic ideas are trash from the short bus school

One could ask if the Libertarian focus on individual effort is "un-American" in that it ignores the traditional American strength of working together, such as the iconic "Barn Raising".

That type of working together is part of the historical record and NOT subjectively so.

Great point!

The original US motto of e Pluribus Unum is the concept of combined we are stronger than we are as individuals. (Yes, that is not a literal translation but it is the idea behind it.)

Individual states could not have defeated the might of the British Empire but combined they succeeded. That became an American principle that together We the People could form a more perfect union and achieve great things.

So far it has worked out pretty well and We the People can be proud of our accomplishments.

Now let's compare that to the "rugged individualism" that is at the core of Libertarianism.

Non sequitur response.

Your post seemed more of a Shot Gun Logical Fallacy then real questions.

Libertarian concepts are a component of political thought.

How they get translated into "ideas" and applied is all a matter of context.

The history of the U.S. is littered with the "failed" ideas of both parties.

Your assertion is meaningless.

Agreed!

There's nothing to respond to. If you want a defense, offer a real criticism. What is it you find wrong libertarian ideology? If you avoid the hyperbole and propaganda, and actually address libertarian ideas, I'll be happy to debate the issue.

I would suggest a new thread.

If we are supposed to be debating the OP...it is garbage as has already been shown.

In fact reading it again, it smelled worse than the first time.

Great point!

Non sequitur response.

Proving once again that Libertarians cannot defend their belief in their failed dogma.

Non sequitur response.

Proving once again that Libertarians cannot defend their belief in their failed dogma.

I'm not a libertarian.

And you did not address my constructive criticism about your post.

Libertarian concepts are a component of political thought.

How they get translated into "ideas" and applied is all a matter of context.

The history of the U.S. is littered with the "failed" ideas of both parties.

Your assertion is meaningless.

they base their economic ideas on the Austrian school which is a joke

Forum List

Back