Is it wrong for Christian to preach at people who don't believe what they do?

It is not about religion, it is about power.

Yeah..........that's a profound point, IMO. It's about boundaries, who can oppress another by breaking personal boundaries. I make a mistake if I think it's about whether there is a God, whether Jesus this, Jesus that, God this or that --- none of that matters. What matters is, do I let anyone say ANYthing to me? Do I allow people to spout garbage at me because of a long, mistaken belief that people ought to be able to freely express themselves to me?

I've gotten in trouble with that mistaken trust for a long time. America is -- was -- a high-trust society and we are all learning better as predators proliferate. People want to sell things, spread evil ideas, or just ideas I don't want, there is a contant stream of people trying to get our attention for their own purposes. The idea that we should be available for all that -- answer our door, answer our phones -- is way outdated and stupid to go on doing.

It is not about religion, it is about power.

Yeah..........that's a profound point, IMO. It's about boundaries, who can oppress another by breaking personal boundaries. I make a mistake if I think it's about whether there is a God, whether Jesus this, Jesus that, God this or that --- none of that matters. What matters is, do I let anyone say ANYthing to me? Do I allow people to spout garbage at me because of a long, mistaken belief that people ought to be able to freely express themselves to me?

I've gotten in trouble with that mistaken trust for a long time. America is -- was -- a high-trust society and we are all learning better as predators proliferate. People want to sell things, spread evil ideas, or just ideas I don't want, there is a contant stream of people trying to get our attention for their own purposes. The idea that we should be available for all that -- answer our door, answer our phones -- is way outdated and stupid to go on doing.

When Christ was held in prison awaiting execution, he told Pilate that if his kingdom were of this world, his followers would raise arms and seek to set him free. He made it clear that his kingdom was not of this world, nor can be.

This little fact was overlooked during the dark days of Christian theocratic rule in Europe. The Inquisitions, the Crusades, etc. They openly violated this little known fact, but to their defense, at that time little was known about the scriptures. Only with the creation of the printing press and Martin Luther's reformations did the truth start to come out about the Christian faith, then theocracies started to crumble.

Christians seem to have learned this for the most part, but Islam cannot separate religion and the state due to Sharia law. They are required to continue the Inquisitions and wars, all in then name of God.

“Is it wrong for[a]Christian to preach at people who don't believe what they do?”

It’s wrong when asked not to do so and a Christian does so anyway.

The irony is that Christian proselytizing is a manifestation of arrogance, which is supposed to be a sin.

you have an interesting perspective. What do you think of Christian proselytizers who
INSIST that those countries that have laws
against ACTIVE PROSELYTIZING----are
"OPPRESSING CHRISTIANS" (hint--India is such a country)

Interesting branch to this issue!! There are a lot of countries that prohibit proselytizing by Christians -- all the Muslim countries do. And of course North Korea, and China curbs it effectively. Though China still has some Christians because of early missionaries, which led to the incredibly violent Boxer Rebellion around the turn of the last century. Sending in missionaries has long been a way to conquer countries culturally and bring them under the rule of colonial powers: The Spanish started right in with that as soon as the Americas were discovered. Same with Africa, when all the colonies there were formed. South Korea was taken over, Japan successfully resisted conversion. Whenever Jews get both numerous and powerful, they are kicked out (or worse) -- Spain 1492, England around 1206. Because they would challenge Christian hegemony.

Huh! I never thought of all this as part of the aggressive preaching. But yeah, cultural takeovers. Would any of us be okay with Muslims proselytizing on the streets, coming to the doors like Mormons? I sure wouldn't. I'd want a law against it, I think.

Though Muslims don't really proselytize: they just say, be Muslim or we'll kill you, as they do in Africa right now, with all the wars and kidnappings. It does have a certain efficiency to it, as a tactic.

do not RECOIL at my next statement. -----here it is---<ready?> I know a lot more about islam, muslims and their customs and laws, than do you.
I have lots of relatives that escaped muslim countries---including my very own hubby and I have
worked with and socialized with muslims in the USA.
MUSLIMS PROSELYTIZE extensively-----even today. (here in the USA) They tend (by design) to focus on disenfranchised peoples. The big time BLACK back to islam movement circa 1950 was no accident--it was ORCHESTRATED in Saudi Arabia. The very active proselytizing efforts in the jails of both the USA and England----also, NO ACCIDENT. More recently there is a huge PUSH---
in south America. Never BUY a Koran----free nicely bound hard cover copies are FREELY AVAILABLE thanks to SAUDI sources, I have at least half a dozen different versions for which I never paid a dime. (a lot more expensive than those tiny pocket copies of the NT----little old ladies hand out Christmas time) I would say that proselytizing Islamic style is just as aggressive as Christian proselytizing EVER WAS (ie including historically).
There is a very very good reason why jews do NOT proselytize ----the idea did not come down on Mount
Sinai----it is because of the jewish experience with
Christianity and Islam. Feel free to ask questions.
I have also worked with and socialized with indian hindus------who fact the SOCIAL TURMOIL created
by active proselytizing by Christian missionaries in
India------whole families and communities get DESTROYED

“Is it wrong for[a]Christian to preach at people who don't believe what they do?”

The irony is that Christian proselytizing is a manifestation of arrogance, which is supposed to be a sin.

you have an interesting perspective. What do you think of Christian proselytizers who

Interesting branch to this issue!! There are a lot of countries that prohibit proselytizing by Christians -- all the Muslim countries do. And of course North Korea, and China curbs it effectively. Though China still has some Christians because of early missionaries, which led to the incredibly violent Boxer Rebellion around the turn of the last century. Sending in missionaries has long been a way to conquer countries culturally and bring them under the rule of colonial powers: The Spanish started right in with that as soon as the Americas were discovered. Same with Africa, when all the colonies there were formed. South Korea was taken over, Japan successfully resisted conversion. Whenever Jews get both numerous and powerful, they are kicked out (or worse) -- Spain 1492, England around 1206. Because they would challenge Christian hegemony.

Huh! I never thought of all this as part of the aggressive preaching. But yeah, cultural takeovers. Would any of us be okay with Muslims proselytizing on the streets, coming to the doors like Mormons? I sure wouldn't. I'd want a law against it, I think.

Though Muslims don't really proselytize: they just say, be Muslim or we'll kill you, as they do in Africa right now, with all the wars and kidnappings. It does have a certain efficiency to it, as a tactic.

do not RECOIL at my next statement. -----here it is---<ready?> I know a lot more about islam, muslims and their customs and laws, than do you.
I have lots of relatives that escaped muslim countries---including my very own hubby and I have
MUSLIMS PROSELYTIZE extensively-----even today. (here in the USA) They tend (by design) to focus on disenfranchised peoples. The big time BLACK back to islam movement circa 1950 was no accident--it was ORCHESTRATED in Saudi Arabia. The very active proselytizing efforts in the jails of both the USA and England----also, NO ACCIDENT. More recently there is a huge PUSH---
in south America. Never BUY a Koran----free nicely bound hard cover copies are FREELY AVAILABLE thanks to SAUDI sources, I have at least half a dozen different versions for which I never paid a dime. (a lot more expensive than those tiny pocket copies of the NT----little old ladies hand out Christmas time) I would say that proselytizing Islamic style is just as aggressive as Christian proselytizing EVER WAS (ie including historically).
There is a very very good reason why jews do NOT proselytize ----the idea did not come down on Mount
I have also worked with and socialized with indian hindus------who fact the SOCIAL TURMOIL created

How do Christians destroy Hindu communities?

I know some missionaries and they do their work to help people and not to take over countries. They actually give a damn, do you?

Hell, the US government does not even want to take over countries. They just bomb the poo out of them till ISIS takes over.

Kinda cynical comment-------NO DOUBT----some missionairies are PURELY atltruistic and not "Christian social nationalist" ----but overall---the program is ---EXPAND OUR NUMBERS. ----as to the US-----GO TO HELL YOU TRAITOR

specifically-----they take advantage of very poor hindus----(ie, just about all of them) -and offer
education, free lunch, etc etc------and in the mix---the kids are subjected to INDOCTRINATION into the
"religion"---not Hinduism. I have my information from real live hindus who have been thru the "system" Hinduism is a SOCIAL SYSTEM-----one is that which the hindu system says one is and MARRIAGE is a big TOWN EVENT-----how and to whom forms the basis of indian village life. Converts are LOST to the family, the village and the system.
BTW----all societies include such elements... even ours

specifically-----they take advantage of very poor hindus----(ie, just about all of them) -and offer
education, free lunch, etc etc------and in the mix---the kids are subjected to INDOCTRINATION into the
"religion"---not Hinduism. I have my information from real live hindus who have been thru the "system" Hinduism is a SOCIAL SYSTEM-----one is that which the hindu system says one is and MARRIAGE is a big TOWN EVENT-----how and to whom forms the basis of indian village life. Converts are LOST to the family, the village and the system.

Ok, so the Christians are feeding and educating these people and the Hindus are not. Then they convert and all of a sudden the Hindus cast them out because of what the believe and, thus, destroy their society.

Sounds like the faster they destroy their societies like this the better off the people will be.

There needs to be reform in these societies, especially the caste system which is essentially societal driven slavery. The state has tried to outlaw it but with minimal success.

Ok, so the Christians are feeding and educating these people and the Hindus are not. Then they convert and all of a sudden the Hindus cast them out because of what the believe and, thus, destroy their society.

Sounds like the faster they destroy their societies like this the better off the people will be.

are you struggling to be as stupid as possible? ---
I cannot go on-------buy yourself a little intro book,
' intro-to SOCIOLOGY FOR DUMMIES-------'

I use call block prodigiously, don't answer the door to door-to-door salesmen, fast forward through all commercials, so I hear you on all of that. Jehovah Witnesses have me on a "Do not stop by" list because I do open the door to all who want to talk about religion and get the younger one so excited about my religion the older one has to hustle them away. (I have a brother-in-law who can do the same with talking to people about atheism.) I will also discuss politics. Exchange of ideas is good, if one is feeling up to it that day.

The trick, I think, is to separate the ones who want to sell something from the ones who simply want to give nformation.

I use call block prodigiously, don't answer the door to door-to-door salesmen, fast forward through all commercials, so I hear you on all of that. Jehovah Witnesses have me on a "Do not stop by" list because I do open the door to all who want to talk about religion and get the younger one so excited about my religion the older one has to hustle them away. (I have a brother-in-law who can do the same with talking to people about atheism.) I will also discuss politics. Exchange of ideas is good, if one is feeling up to it that day.

The trick, I think, is to separate the ones who want to sell something from the ones who simply want to give nformation.

oh----that is interesting-----not all people WANT those discussions------My mom one hot day made a huge mistake and gave a roaming JW-----a glass of ice water-------THAT WAS IT for us. Another anecdote------did you know that fervent Christian Christian proselytizers TARGET
jewish book stores and surreptitiously shove Christian
propaganda into religious texts, <snicker> even kosher cookbooks and------the cartoon versions, into
childrens' story books?. Not nice------for a short time in my single mother years I lived in a religious neighborhood for the PROTECTION it afforded my little son. When I bought him a story book---I would hold it over the GARBAGE CAN and shake out the silly Christian propaganda cartoons. The practice is and was RAMPANT in my town. That's not INFORMATION-----I like information and probably read EVERY "awake" and "watchtower" thing ever published------good subway reading but STICKING your thing in the prayer books of "others" is not sharing information-----it is damned annoying IMPOSITION----not a GOOD DEED

I know some missionaries and they do their work to help people and not to take over countries. They actually give a damn, do you?

No, not me.

Hell, the US government does not even want to take over countries. They just bomb the poo out of them till ISIS takes over.

Too true. Really, that's quite a good summary of the wars of the last 17 years.

Everyone who comes to the house, or calls, or spams the email, or advertises, wants to sell something, IMO. I don't think there IS such a thing as giving information, unless I ask where you got those nursery plants and you tell me just to be nice. But then I asked. My rule is, if I don't ask, DON'T TELL ME. This forum excepted because it's set up for discussion, of course. We're here for that.

Even the county emergency guy who robocalls about hurricanes (and bad storms, and gentle storms, and a little rain.....) ---- he's only doing it because he gets paid because the County Exec wants to get voters interested in his administration because he wants to run for governor and then President.

No, anyone who wants to push info on me, they are selling something, and it's for their own good, not mine, however often they tell you they are just trying to "help."

Took me a long time to figure that out. But eventually I get there.

Another anecdote------did you know that fervent Christian Christian proselytizers TARGET
jewish book stores and surreptitiously shove Christian
propaganda into religious texts, <snicker> even kosher cookbooks and------the cartoon versions, into
childrens' story books?. Not nice------for a short time in my single mother years I lived in a religious neighborhood for the PROTECTION it afforded my little son. When I bought him a story book---I would hold it over the GARBAGE CAN and shake out the silly Christian propaganda cartoons. The practice is and was RAMPANT in my town. That's not INFORMATION-----I like information and probably read EVERY "awake" and "watchtower" thing ever published------good subway reading but STICKING your thing in the prayer books of "others" is not sharing information-----it is damned annoying IMPOSITION----not a GOOD DEED

That one I never heard of, Irosie -- thanks for the intell! :ack-1:

MUSLIMS PROSELYTIZE extensively-----even today. (here in the USA) They tend (by design) to focus on disenfranchised peoples. The big time BLACK back to islam movement circa 1950 was no accident--it was ORCHESTRATED in Saudi Arabia. The very active proselytizing efforts in the jails of both the USA and England----also, NO ACCIDENT.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........I have read about the jail thing; and there was a burka-Muslim movement among blacks around here for awhile a few years ago, seems to have died out, I hope. And of course the Black Muslims.

Okay, you have a point. Several points. I was probably wrong and Muslims proselytize extensively. Jeepers, we can't win for losing.

Everyone who comes to the house, or calls, or spams the email, or advertises, wants to sell something, IMO. I don't think there IS such a thing as giving information, unless I ask where you got those nursery plants and you tell me just to be nice. But then I asked. My rule is, if I don't ask, DON'T TELL ME. This forum excepted because it's set up for discussion, of course. We're here for that.

Even the county emergency guy who robocalls about hurricanes (and bad storms, and gentle storms, and a little rain.....) ---- he's only doing it because he gets paid because the County Exec wants to get voters interested in his administration because he wants to run for governor and then President.

No, anyone who wants to push info on me, they are selling something, and it's for their own good, not mine, however often they tell you they are just trying to "help."

There are some genuinely good people in our midst. When we turn our backs on everyone, we miss out on the good ones as well.

There are some genuinely good people in our midst. When we turn our backs on everyone, we miss out on the good ones as well.

There are. But most now are predators. Maybe they always were, but social controls used to be better. Now the world is over-populated and people clamor for our attention every moment of the day in every medium. All of them doing that are trying to get something out of us. This sudden move from a high-trust society to a low-trust society is very disturbing to me. Maybe it's just that *I* have had to move from high-trust to low-trust -- robocalls, sales people and religious at the door, spam, ads, it's like being eaten entirely up by mosquitoes.

I have taken a lot of defensive actions -- no phone ringer, no cell phone, many computer defenses, etc. I'm not just letting myself be eaten up by them, but I liked it better when people could be trusted more.

oh gee Meri. DAMNED WHITE OF YOU----DAMNED CHRISTIAN OF YOU.........

I wish more were like him, and less were like you.

you have no idea what I am "LIKE" idiot

you have no idea what I am "LIKE" idiot
You mean other than from the comments you make? Like your last one to merriweather?

Forum List

Back