Is it racist to hate a culture?

HereAmIAmMe

Apr 3, 2013
I'm color blind (or color challenged if you prefer.) I'm talking actual colors here. Red and green to be specific. I noticed it in elementary school when I constantly had to read the labels on crayons to get the colors right.

This is similar to what you could call my "racial vision." I am not very good at identifying people based on a "race." Most of the time someone has to "label" someone as being a particular race for me to know.

And really what difference can "race" make anyways? I mean it's just a wrapper right? Transplant my mind into a body of any kind you like and I would still be me.

Culture on the other hand...

I was dropped into the Philippines with almost no preparation. For the first month I might as well have been on another planet. I could barely understand anyone. The culture was such a shock that I wondered if I would ever be comfortable there. I got used to it eventually. In the end it was as much of a shock returning to the US as it had been going there. I loved the people that i knew in the Philippines. Some of them I hold to be the finest examples of humanity that I will ever encounter. Some aspects of Filipino culture on the other hand still make me cringe. It is common practice, for example, to simply toss trash on the ground in many areas of the Philippines. Its a habit that I find disgusting. It doesn't devalue the people who do it. It is merely a habit that has been developed by living in a specific environment.

When you get used to living a certain way you develop habits that are simply a part of the way you live. It's unavoidable. When you transplant yourself into a different culture and bring those habits with you there will be conflict. Is one culture more valuable than another? That's not for me to say. But when you bring that culture into my neighborhood with all of its differences can I really help it if those differences are hard for me to swallow? And if your culture does have value does not my own culture have value of its own? Am I responsible to change to accommodate your culture? Are you responsible to change to fit in?

As with the Filipinos I can hate an aspect of a culture without hating the people who practice that culture. Is it wrong for me to hate even that much though?

Jesus Christ.

Who over thinks this much while saying so little?

What's the point other than the self congratulatory slap on the back you have given yourself with this sentence? "I am not very good at identifying people based on a "race." Most of the time someone has to "label" someone as being a particular race for me to know" Aw shucks.

The complete absence of self awareness is only compunded by your overflow of self-absorption.

Welcome to the board!

Jesus Christ.

Who over thinks this much while saying so little?

What's the point other than the self congratulatory slap on the back you have given yourself with this sentence? "I am not very good at identifying people based on a "race." Most of the time someone has to "label" someone as being a particular race for me to know" Aw shucks.

The complete absence of self awareness is only compunded by your overflow of self-absorption.

Welcome to the board!

You know, you're right. That was self-absorbed wasn't it.

I'm sorry.

I thought the point of posting on these forums was to share my point of view. Maybe I was wrong. Should I be sharing your point of view?

That might not be so easy since I haven't lived your life. Oh well. guess I'll have to try harder next time. Can you give me some pointers there?

I am glad you made such a point of declaring me completely un-"self-aware." Does it make you feel good to put others down? If so, I'm glad I could help.

But to make it clearer for everyone let me put it in simpler words:

I am bothered by the cultural habits that many immigrants bring with them to my community. I hate that it seems to be a cultural thing for them to not take care of their property. I hate that my property value declines because those around me don't have the same standards for organization and cleanliness that I do. I don't hate the people but I hate the culture.

Is that the same as being racist?

The purpose of these forums is to mock people that don't think exactly like you do. You'll figure it out sooner or later. The wide eyed, I'm open to other points of view only works in educational environments and only then if it has a liberal/progressive slant to it. Then you have to be open to new things.

Anything GOP, white, male, or hetero is bad. So, here we are. Your side sucks and so does mine. Still doesn't answer your question, but you already have your answer.

The purpose of these forums is to mock people that don't think exactly like you do. You'll figure it out sooner or later. The wide eyed, I'm open to other points of view only works in educational environments and only then if it has a liberal/progressive slant to it. Then you have to be open to new things.

Anything GOP, white, male, or hetero is bad. So, here we are. Your side sucks and so does mine. Still doesn't answer your question, but you already have your answer.

It's a little sad that you are so cynical about this place. Maybe you're right, but I prefer a little optimism. There is no reason humans cannot engage in meaningful discussion no matter the forum.

It's a little sad that you are so cynical about this place. Maybe you're right, but I prefer a little optimism. There is no reason humans cannot engage in meaningful discussion no matter the forum.

I've been participating in internet forums for about 15 years. I've never ever seen anyone on any side of an arguement convince someone on the opposing side of changing their opinions. Not. Once.

Discussions can happen, but not on any sort of hot button issues. You have two sides shouting down the other, snark and smileys, hand waves and dismissive rants are the norm.

Save your optimism for children and nature and real life interactions. You'll find nothing but classless tough wannabe's and shifty liars extrapolating personal experience out to large populations to make a point in most internet forums.

And yes there is a reason why we cannot have meanigful discussion in any forums. And what's really fucked up is that there is not one thing anyone can do about it, ever. That reason? We're human.

This is America ( Whats left of it ) you can hate whatever you want for whatever reason you choose, or for no reason at all.
I hate liberalism, I hate the koran, I hate the black culture, I hate big government, I hate all these illegal mother fuckers that have no respect for are laws that think we owe them something, and all the other assholes that want to live here, but don't want to learn English; I hate ebonics. I hate the gay agenda, and anything opposed to freedom, and the USA. I hate the catholic church, and all the pedophile priest they protect!
I too thought that I could have an impact on this forum, but you can't debate with any dumb as liberal ideologue; they will not capitulate!

This is America ( Whats left of it ) you can hate whatever you want for whatever reason you choose, or for no reason at all.
I hate liberalism, I hate the koran, I hate the black culture, I hate big government, I hate all these illegal mother fuckers that have no respect for are laws that think we owe them something, and all the other assholes that want to live here, but don't want to learn English; I hate ebonics. I hate the gay agenda, and anything opposed to freedom, and the USA. I hate the catholic church, and all the pedophile priest they protect!
I too thought that I could have an impact on this forum, but you can't debate with any dumb as liberal ideologue; they will not capitulate!

I love it! a christer who stands with us Jews and Israel! Do us a favor go away, we have nothing in common with you right wing christian nuts. Go stand with someone else :9:

I love it! a christer who stands with us Jews and Israel! Do us a favor go away, we have nothing in common with you right wing christian nuts. Go stand with someone else :9:
Fuck you - you speak for all Jews, and Israel? The jews are the smartest people on earth, but you liberal ones have your heads up your asses. Like when you denied Christ
even though your Tora foretold Him. How did that work out for you?
I stand with Israel, not because I like you Jews. Nearly all the Jews I've met are arrogant cheap assholes that think the rest of the people on earth are suppose to serve them. You better hope someone stands with Israel, because without devine intervention or help you would be wiped out! Former Marines like me helped save your ass - dumb shit.
Why did the Jews roam the desert for forty years? Because someone lost a nickel mother fucker!
I stand with who I want, and tell whom I want to go fuck themselves - got it?
You are suppose to stay on topic.

"Hate" is a very strong word that should not be used lightly. Writing off an entire culture seems too general by a lot. There are cultural practices or aspects that are successful and others that have proven to be failures. It only makes sense to oppose or reject failed cultural practices and to unabashedly speak out against them whatever the source. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone more pro (legal) immigrant than me, or more appreciative of all cultures. That said, it irks the hell out of me to see failed cultural practices - imported, maintained, or reproduced - in and among the 'first world' (if you will). These may include, but are not limited to:

- Someone strolling down the street and dropping any kind of garbage wherever they are literally without a thought

- Someone running across a busy street with a baby carriage when there is a crosswalk no more than 50 yards away

- Sitting out on the front steps of a house or apartment building at 2 am drinking and playing loud music while a baby barely old enough to walk runs around on the sidewalk apparently ignored

- Adults cursing and acting boorishly (or even dangerously) in public without regard for who may be around them

- Failing to sufficiently value education for their children

- Driving while smoking with children in the car

- Constantly acting on the apparent assumption that all of your neighbors and everyone around you wants to 'enjoy' the music you are listening to

- Acting on the belief that as long as you grin and show what a good time you're having that any behavior - no matter how rude or thoughtless - must be not only forgiven but admired

There are a great deal more, many with more lethal consequences than those noted above. Interestingly, when such behavior is practiced by LEGAL immigrants it is usually filtered out by the second or third generation at the latest. When it is perpetuated by and within America it tends to persist.

I'm color blind (or color challenged if you prefer.) I'm talking actual colors here. Red and green to be specific. I noticed it in elementary school when I constantly had to read the labels on crayons to get the colors right.

This is similar to what you could call my "racial vision." I am not very good at identifying people based on a "race." Most of the time someone has to "label" someone as being a particular race for me to know.

And really what difference can "race" make anyways? I mean it's just a wrapper right? Transplant my mind into a body of any kind you like and I would still be me.

I was dropped into the Philippines with almost no preparation. For the first month I might as well have been on another planet. I could barely understand anyone. The culture was such a shock that I wondered if I would ever be comfortable there. I got used to it eventually. In the end it was as much of a shock returning to the US as it had been going there. I loved the people that i knew in the Philippines. Some of them I hold to be the finest examples of humanity that I will ever encounter. Some aspects of Filipino culture on the other hand still make me cringe. It is common practice, for example, to simply toss trash on the ground in many areas of the Philippines. Its a habit that I find disgusting. It doesn't devalue the people who do it. It is merely a habit that has been developed by living in a specific environment.

When you get used to living a certain way you develop habits that are simply a part of the way you live. It's unavoidable. When you transplant yourself into a different culture and bring those habits with you there will be conflict. Is one culture more valuable than another? That's not for me to say. But when you bring that culture into my neighborhood with all of its differences can I really help it if those differences are hard for me to swallow? And if your culture does have value does not my own culture have value of its own? Am I responsible to change to accommodate your culture? Are you responsible to change to fit in?

As with the Filipinos I can hate an aspect of a culture without hating the people who practice that culture. Is it wrong for me to hate even that much though?

xen·o·phobe (z n -f b , z n -). n. A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

I've been participating in internet forums for about 15 years. I've never ever seen anyone on any side of an arguement convince someone on the opposing side of changing their opinions. Not. Once.

Discussions can happen, but not on any sort of hot button issues. You have two sides shouting down the other, snark and smileys, hand waves and dismissive rants are the norm.

Save your optimism for children and nature and real life interactions. You'll find nothing but classless tough wannabe's and shifty liars extrapolating personal experience out to large populations to make a point in most internet forums.

And yes there is a reason why we cannot have meanigful discussion in any forums. And what's really fucked up is that there is not one thing anyone can do about it, ever. That reason? We're human.

Probably true. I'm new to the whole online forum world. This is the first forum I've ever participated in.

xen·o·phobe (z n -f b , z n -). n. A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

What is unduly contemptuous though? Certainly as Unkotare pointed out there are some things that are cultural habits that it is entirely reasonable to object to.

If a cultural habit infringes on the rights of others is it not rightly contemptible? There is nothing undue about that.

Cultures are not wrong, no matter how they appear to us. They are sometimes incompatible. It is not hate to recognize that such incompatibility exists.

I reserve the right to dislike anything I find senseless, annoying, and/or blindly dogmatic. This could include people (groups or individuals), situations, and/or institutions.

Cultures are not wrong, no matter how they appear to us. They are sometimes incompatible. It is not hate to recognize that such incompatibility exists.

I mostly used the word hate to get people to read the thread. If you aren't inflammatory around here you don't get any attention.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back