Is it possible for the US to cut military spendings?

Teddy Pollins

Feb 26, 2015
The US spends more on military every year than the next 8 countries combined. It also states that 20% of Federal spending is on defense. This table shows the amount of money spent on defense for the past 20 years. In 2010 19% of the US's budget was allocated to defense and 28% of tax revenues went to defense. The US defense budget accounts for 40% of the world's arms spending.
Not too much will say republicans.
It's enough will say Dems.
But WE will be paying more!!!
Answer the question, please: Should we decrease military expenses?
ss-120105-military-spending-05.ss_full.jpg

The US spends more on military every year than the next 8 countries combined. It also states that 20% of Federal spending is on defense. This table shows the amount of money spent on defense for the past 20 years. In 2010 19% of the US's budget was allocated to defense and 28% of tax revenues went to defense. The US defense budget accounts for 40% of the world's arms spending.
Yes, it possible but not likely. Defense spending like all government spending is wasteful and can always be reduced. The problem in cutting government spending is much of the needed spending get's cut with waste.

Uummmm, actually defense spending is down and more cuts are coming down the road unless we ramp up again in Afghanistan. Under the debt ceiling deal reached by the president and congressional leaders last summer, the defense budget must be cut by $487 billion over the next 10 years.
My brother who is a retired Colonel working for the DOD told me that last year alone 30 Army Colonels and almost as many Army Generals were forced into early retirement due to cuts. He has to cut half of his staff which was cut by 30% the year before.
I believe at least one entire Army division is going away, could be three, I don't remember.
Basically this is how it works (historically - take into account inflation);
Defense spending technically remained constant from 1987 to 1994 — $282 billion a year. Yet here's what happened to the military during those seven years: The number of troops fell from 2.2 million to 1.6 million, the number of Army divisions was slashed from 28 to 20, Air Force fighter wings dropped from 36 to 22 and Navy fighting ships declined from 568 to 387. That’s because inflation over time ate away at the value of those dollars. By most measures, defense spending was trimmed in that period, though in theory, not a penny was cut.

----->Cost of National Security Counting How Much the U.S. Spends Per Hour<-------
Perhaps if we stopped selling our old weapons to people that might be our next enemy. And maybe if we didn't allow Military Weapons Contractors to donate to political parties (They are top donors to every candidate).

It's called, "The Military Industrial Complex" and I wish America had a heads up about the Corporate power over politicians..............................oh wait.

Last edited:
What is funny is you are one of the ONLY people in all forums to bring up COST. Conservatives don't count war as a COST. In fact they have wanted 3 wars since Obama was elected and called Obama a "sissy" for not PUNCHING FACES.

The true cost of war is not MONETARY
iCasualties OIF Iraq Fatalities Details

Spending is increasing despite the mandated cuts

Yes, spending should be cut, and, yes, it can be cut.

We should all note the spending is no where near touching the Veterans in the big picture.

It will be great idea. War is profitable no doubt.
But it has no moral sense indeed. Spending so much for our huge army thus we determine the course of our international politics.
America has become too aggressive actor on the political arena.

Just like any Gov't function there are many ways to cut, including the military. In order to balance the budget and pay down the debt the military would have to take cuts as well.

Major cuts could be done by addressing the fraud and waste with all programs. That would include the military as well. For example we build a ship and pay double the cost or more to build it with continued cost overruns...............Paying for the same jobs multiple times, and rewarding those building the ships by giving more money to them anyway. This should end and I've seen it with my own eyes.

Making all the repairs to equipment instead of turning in circuit boards for a cost discount for thousands of dollars when the parts needed for repairs are only in the hundreds due to gov't contracts. Paying double the cost for materials because its gov't contracts..............Again I've seen this with my own eyes.

There are too many kickbacks going for gov't contracts otherwise these policies would end. Looking at functions like these could easily save 10's of BILLIONS of Dollars if not more.

Other sectors with duplicate missions and jobs. Should be streamlined to cut costs. and etc...............

But we have a Gov't tied to the hip of Lobbyist for personal gain so this corruption will not end.

Just like any Gov't function there are many ways to cut, including the military. In order to balance the budget and pay down the debt the military would have to take cuts as well.

Major cuts could be done by addressing the fraud and waste with all programs. That would include the military as well. For example we build a ship and pay double the cost or more to build it with continued cost overruns...............Paying for the same jobs multiple times, and rewarding those building the ships by giving more money to them anyway. This should end and I've seen it with my own eyes.

Making all the repairs to equipment instead of turning in circuit boards for a cost discount for thousands of dollars when the parts needed for repairs are only in the hundreds due to gov't contracts. Paying double the cost for materials because its gov't contracts..............Again I've seen this with my own eyes.

There are too many kickbacks going for gov't contracts otherwise these policies would end. Looking at functions like these could easily save 10's of BILLIONS of Dollars if not more.

Other sectors with duplicate missions and jobs. Should be streamlined to cut costs. and etc...............

But we have a Gov't tied to the hip of Lobbyist for personal gain so this corruption will not end.

Eagle I don't know you but like you within 3 minutes of this post. You posted something MOST AMERICANS don't know after a lifetime of talking politics. "Major cuts could be done by addressing the fraud"

Thank you sir for being an American Thinker.

Price gouging is a big issue too. Anything Insurance or Government funded is price gouged. But America forgot it's laws against monopolies and price gouging.

So here is the biggest problem with DoD spending. The administration of big defense programs by Government employees is a large percentage of the cost of the program itself. So there is your "waste" but unfortunately the governmen,t as well all know, is not about cutting itself back. So they make the Defense Contractors that actually PRODUCE the friggin weapon system account for every paper clip while they take boondoggle trips out to the contractor sites to make sure they aren't wasting money.

But it has its own logic. By spending so much in the area of offence less is available to be spent on citizens, thereby enabling the economic selection of cannon fodder. Quite elegant really.

So here is the biggest problem with DoD spending. The administration of big defense programs by Government employees is a large percentage of the cost of the program itself. So there is your "waste" but unfortunately the governmen,t as well all know, is not about cutting itself back. So they make the Defense Contractors that actually PRODUCE the friggin weapon system account for every paper clip while they take boondoggle trips out to the contractor sites to make sure they aren't wasting money.

Actually going to war when we can avoid it with diplomacy is the biggest cost. Diplomacy is like a $10 dollar off coupon. (I only said this to get through to the poor Pubs who think Obama is the reason they are poor)

Thanks to leftist we will never truly be able to reduce the scope of our military.

their vast need to kill drove us from our isolation and neutrality and now we are the great satan. They will never accept that we should let the world rot and kill itself while we enjoy life and freedom.

just look at how many overseas bases we have compared to other countries bases. Cut those, bring the people and gear home and fuck the world.

It's also used to keep the petrodollar propped up, which is one of several things needed by a consumer spending economy to continue running.

Let's break it down for the simpletons.

The most expensive Jet Fighter Plane was $62 Billion.

What would have happened to America without the 62 Billion Dollar plane? During the time period of making this Jet we cut food stamps to the BLIND because we profile all poor people as lazy.

See, poor people always try to blame taxation. But they never want to think their tax dollars go beyond someone raping the system on welfare.

Can someone do the Welfare vs. Unnecessary Fighter Jet vs. Unnecessary Wars cost for me.:blowup:

It's also used to keep the petrodollar propped up, which is one of several things needed by a consumer spending economy to continue running.

Not many in politics know about the "petrodollar".

Welcome man!

Thanks to leftist we will never truly be able to reduce the scope of our military.

their vast need to kill drove us from our isolation and neutrality and now we are the great satan. They will never accept that we should let the world rot and kill itself while we enjoy life and freedom.

just look at how many overseas bases we have compared to other countries bases. Cut those, bring the people and gear home and fuck the world.

^Yea, that was both parties. Still trying to be bias huh?

Forum List

Back