Is It Possible For Dogs To Be A Single Person's Responsibility?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I'm talking about if one person in the family wants a dog even if nobody else in the family wants a dog and if they swear that they will do everything to take care of it then shouldn't they have a right to bring it into the home?

I'm talking about if one person in the family wants a dog even if nobody else in the family wants a dog and if they swear that they will do everything to take care of it then shouldn't they have a right to bring it into the home?
good luck with that......

Since my little brown pinscher Pepita died 15 years ago, I've been dying to get another furry lover, but my sister has two female cats so I voluntarily gave up.

But even if my sister had no cats I still wouldn't bring another little girl home without her consent.

Only if the others can't handle the crying with a no answer.

What are you . . . 12 years old?

Not physically, and what does that have to do with anything? I think I asked a legit question.

Very well, I'll bite.

I have been a lifelong lover of canines. My wife, on the other hand, grew up never having a pet save perhaps for a goldfish at some point in her distant past childhood. A few years into our marriage I wanted to get another dog; I had not owned one since we'd married. So, I found a four-year-old Blue Heeler rescue thinking it'd take the movement of heaven and earth to get my wife on board with getting the dog. Had that been the case, had she adamantly refused to share in the care and love of a new dog, I would have felt unable to adopt him. However, she took to our new puppy son from the get-go, and enjoys walking him, grooming him, playing with him and just being in his company as much as I do. My overall point being: if having a new dog in the house is going to create friction and/or resentment between human household members, you might want to reconsider, because frankly, that's not fair to the dog.

Not physically, and what does that have to do with anything? I think I asked a legit question.
Dogs effect the whole household---if the others don't want one. Don't get something that they will resent.

Very well, I'll bite.

I have been a lifelong lover of canines. My wife, on the other hand, grew up never having a pet save perhaps for a goldfish at some point in her distant past childhood. A few years into our marriage I wanted to get another dog; I had not owned one since we'd married. So, I found a four-year-old Blue Heeler rescue thinking it'd take the movement of heaven and earth to get my wife on board with getting the dog. Had that been the case, had she adamantly refused to share in the care and love of a new dog, I would have felt unable to adopt him. However, she took to our new puppy son from the get-go, and enjoys walking him, grooming him, playing with him and just being in his company as much as I do. My overall point being: if having a new dog in the house is going to create friction and/or resentment between human household members, you might want to reconsider, because frankly, that's not fair to the dog.

I see what you're saying but I think that you mean that it's unfair to the other people not the dog as long as it's being taken care of by at least a single person.

Dogs effect the whole household

How other than the fact if they don't want one in the house or apartment? As long as somebody's taking care of it and not asking for help that is.

This is our Blue Heeler . . .

20220304_230156.jpg

I see what you're saying but I think that you mean that it's unfair to the other people not the dog as long as it's being taken care of by at least a single person.

How other than the fact if they don't want one in the house or apartment? As long as somebody's taking care of it and not asking for help that is.
Dogs have a smell no matter what....Dogs take up room....Dogs Shed (Labs are the worse)......Dogs develop personality issues (and they are pack animals so this just me and the dog in a household will mess with its mental stability)...no matter how much you want and love a dog, you will never be able to be there all the time for it. You will get sick, you will go on vacation, etc.

And this doesn't include the normal behavioral issues like potty training, chewing up furniture, shoes etc, barking and biting that most dogs have issues with.

Dogs have a smell no matter what....Dogs take up room....Dogs Shed (Labs are the worse)......Dogs develop personality issues (and they are pack animals so this just me and the dog in a household will mess with its mental stability)...no matter how much you want and love a dog, you will never be able to be there all the time for it. You will get sick, you will go on vacation, etc.

And this doesn't include the normal behavioral issues like potty training, chewing up furniture, shoes etc, barking and biting that most dogs have issues with.

Okay, I guess see what you're saying, but that last part you mentioned is basically only for puppies about the chewing and the potty training and I have been trying to convince my family of getting an adult dog not a puppy. (For that reason except all dogs bark sometimes but they don't usually bite.)

No

Also, I can always put a dog in a kennel if I go on vacation, and I can still do things that I need to do when I'm sick, but I still understand the points were made.

Unfortunately…a dog impacts the entire household even if they don’t assume responsibility. It is really better to at at least have some agreement.

Okay, I guess see what you're saying, but that last part you mentioned is basically only for puppies about the chewing and the potty training and I have been trying to convince my family of getting an adult dog not a puppy. (For that reason except all dogs bark sometimes but they don't usually bite.)
What are their arguments against it?

Forum List

Back