Is IT acceptable to pray for another without first asking them?

You can pray for me... I wouldn't take offense. :cool:

If you just grab me with out warning though, don't be offended if I tactfully tell you I'm in a hurry and I'll have to take a rain-check, leaving you standing there looking like your either on a blue tooth or crazy.

Can't speak for everyone here though. :rolleyes:

-Joe

What if he grabs you and quickly squeezes and twists?

Is IT obnoxious to tell acquaintances and strangers (unsolicited) that you will pray for them.

I guess it is similar to someone saying "I'll be thinking about you."

I hate when people do that. What are they thinking? Are they picturing me naked?

Is IT obnoxious to tell acquaintances and strangers (unsolicited) that you will pray for them.

It depends on the acquaintances. If you know they would appreciate your prayers, by all means tell them. Some people find comfort or strength in that.

Strangers? I would think not. What do they care if you're praying for them or not? Why are you praying for them? How do you pray for someone you don't know? Isn't that disingenous?

By the same token, don't tell people you're going to pray for them if you really wouldn't say a prayer for them in a million years. You can send positive vibes or think happy thoughts or think about xotoxi naked. But don't lie about it - that totally negates any goodness that might otherwise have been done.

I guess it is similar to someone saying "I'll be thinking about you."

I hate when people do that. What are they thinking? Are they picturing me naked?
I picture Gunny naked in a supermarket holding a can of Spam.

He's not eating it though.

If someone told me they were gonna pray for me, I'd beat the fucking crap outta them.

Do tell. Say we're all very impressed by what a tough guy you are (in ascii).

When people wish you a Merry Christmas do you take offense at that, too, tough guy?

I punched out a carload of jehovah's once, they never came back.
I just spit on people who wish me MC.

You just prove the point that in society, there are a certain percentage of idiots. It's a shame your life sucks so bad. I'll be sure to pray for you.

I punched out a carload of jehovah's once, they never came back.
I just spit on people who wish me MC.

You just prove the point that in society, there are a certain percentage of idiots. It's a shame your life sucks so bad. I'll be sure to pray for you.

Yeah, but his post was more outrageously hilarious than yours. Be sure to pray for a sense of humor for yourself while you're at it.

I'll take all the prayers I can get, from any religion.

If a prayer is to a non-existent being, it is still a well wish. Anyone not wanting others to wish them well are truly missing the point.
Anyone not understanding that some people are offended or at least made to feel awkward when told they are going to be prayed for is also truly missing the point.

When someone says they will pray for me it also sounds like they are saying they will prey for me.

You can say it if:

A. You are joking. Example would be if I said something really nasty/sick/wrong and you said that to me.

B. If I'm sick.

C. If I'm going to war.

D. If I'm going to the Olympics

If you say it in a creepy born again kind of way, no its not right.

PS. It doesn't matter since God is going to send you to eternal damnation/flames/hell/fire if you yourself don't blindly accept the story of Jesus 2000 years ago. If you don't swallow that story from MAN, then God will send you to hell. So they scare you into believing too. Better safe than sorry, so even though you don't really "believe" it, most say they do just to be safe. And they don't question it.

So it doesn't matter if you pray for them. Better to explain your silly little story and see if I buy into it.

For the life of me I never understood how anyone who heard the story bought it. Its like believing in Santa or the Easter Bunny. Come on humanity. Wake up.

Maybe the Hindu's or Psyentologists have it right. :lol:

You can pray for me all you want...but don't blame me if I think your motives are a little skewed if you tell me you are praying for me...particularly if we have just disagreed on something.

(totally different if I've suffered some tragedy and you say you will pray for me...)

"Now if they insist on praying WITH you or pray for you in public near you, ya that is a bit much" --- lol

Devnell if you do not believe in God,why would it matter if someone you think is crazy prays to a non existent being? If you do believe why would it bother you that someone would pray to God for you?

Ignorant question.

Now if they insist on praying WITH you or pray for you in public near you, ya that is a bit much.

When people I know well who happen to be religious say they will be praying to me...it's okay---sorta.

strangers and acquaintances...
Why would it matter? It wouldn't if I didn't know about it. What matters is that they feel the need to let me know. Why can't they just stfu about it?

What they do is intrusive, annoying and obnoxious.

Really? HOW? Are your beliefs so weak that someone telling you they will pray to what you claim to believe is a fictitious character you fell annoyed? If they are not trying to get you to pray with them and are not praying openly in your presence how exactly is it obnoxious? How exactly does it effect you at all?

If some one told you they were gonna ask Micky Mouse to help you, would you feel it was obnoxious? Would it be intrusive on their part to ask a fictitious character for help for you?

I fail completely to understand how praying for you to a God you do not believe even exists is intrusive? I can sorta understand the annoyance since you do not believe he exists but not the supposed intrusion or exactly how it can be obnoxious.

Dear boy, my beliefs are NOT weakened as I have none. You totally miss the point or have chose to run your mouth with a stupid fucking talking point.

It is obnoxious when out of the blue strangers will voluntarily and without promting tell me they will pray for me.

For me no supernatural god or boogy man exists. I do not have to deny the existence of anything that is a figment of otehr's imaginations, no matter how prevelant those figmants are. I live in a society and in a time when humans still feel the need to have something greater than themselves---outside of the real world, to believe in. I need no comfort from a super being. I need no intervention to ecxplain the complexities of life on the blue planet.

I tolerate religious folks while appreciating religious myth and symbolism. get IT? :eusa_whistle:

Go with your gut, I do not tell most people, I pray for people without boasting about it

At the same time, in their most dire needs it can be a comforting thing to know that someone cares enough to just say, "you will be in my prayers"

Forum List

Back