Zone1 Why the rosary is a most important prayer/meditation all Christians should say daily

Meri, I appreciate being able to debate these issues with you without personal affronts and indignant character assassinations. It is as it should be.
I feel the same appreciation about these discussions. There are so many perspectives and all worthy of attention.

Not one of these scriptures addresses someone already filled with God's grace. Is it your belief that someone filled with God's grace still sins and still is not righteous? You are aware of the Bible verse where Mary, before Christ's birth said her soul glorifies the Lord and rejoices in God her Savior. In other words, God's saving power had already been bestowed upon her.

Do you believe that a soul filled with the grace of God can sin?
You bet. Here's Paul:
“For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.
Paul said of sinners that he was chief. He called himself a wretched man.

We know that David was filled with the spirit. He asked God not to take it from him:
Psalm 51:11 Cast me not away from your presence; take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Among other sins, David killed a friend so he could fornicate with the guy's wife.

You actually seem to think Jesus was dismissing Mary as someone who merely birthed and nursed him! Jesus is God, and scripture has it Mary found favor with God, was highly favored. It seems like it never crossed your mind that Jesus was telling us why Mary was favored--and it wasn't merely because she gave birth or nursed!
If a human being treated his earthly mother like these anti-Catholics do ("she only gave me birth, that's her only value ..")

Everyone, just everyone would be appalled

This kind of opinion of the Catholic Church is exactly what happens when people refuse to investigate it, but only believe what some Protestant minister or other person says about it.

Have fun being ignorant
I have never heard a protestant minister talk about the Catholic church. My opinion has been formed by a attending Catholic services, conversations with Catholic friends and reading about the Church throughout its history.

If a human being treated his earthly mother like these anti-Catholics do
I mentioned earlier I am more interested in etymology and original language meanings than anything else. I have gotten so I can identify who belongs to a traditional church and who belongs to a church that broke off in medieval times and focused on the King James English version. The English says this, but the original language meant something else.

The other issue I find compelling is that when I was younger, because I was always hearing how non-Catholic Christians were claiming Catholics didn't read/know the Bible that these non-Catholic Christians must be great Bible experts. I was shocked to realize they don't know more than Catholics, they know less--particularly when it comes to the Old Testament. It seems some non-Catholic Christian sects rely solely on Proof-texting/cherry picking than taking into account ALL the Bible says. Proof-texting and the language changes explains the very different understanding the Reformation brought into Christianity.

Experience the love of God and one begins to wonder about the Old Testament. I did, and I couldn't figure it out until I had the great fortune to meet an atheist Jew whose first language was Hebrew. Between him, lots of rabbinical commentary, and deep research into etymology and Biblical cultures, a very different perspective of the Old Testament emerged.

Another thing I began to understand: One huge reason Jews do not talk much about the Hebrew Bible to Christians is that their experience is too many Christians only understand the King James English and will only see scripture from that perspective.

What has evolved:
  • The original Hebrew language gives a different perspective of the Old Testament.
  • The Catholic/Orthodox faith which still include some training in Biblical language and has the tradition of Biblical language have a different perspective of the New Testament than some non-Catholic Christian churches.
  • The King James English in the 1500s presented people with an entirely different perspective of the Bible, and therefore the differences between Catholic/Orthodox believes and some non-Catholic Christian beliefs.

The King James English gave some an entirely different perspective of redemption, sanctification, justification/righteousness, and salvation, Mary, and the rosary. It's like we are speaking two different languages--and essentially, we are. Add the Old Testament and Hebrew, and it makes it three different languages.

We now have Biblical Times Christianity and Medieval Times Christianity. Which one is the more correct? My conclusion is that it doesn't matter. Even if everyone truly understood the language differences (and no one can fully understand them), we have the issue of the Holy Spirit. Who is to say that it was not the intent of the Holy Spirit to give a different understanding of scripture than was understood in Biblical times?

We have been discussing the Rosary and this is a great example of differences in understanding. Go back and research pagan/some gentile prayer at the time of Jesus. These were not simple "rote" prayers. Some were drunken orgies and the "rote prayer" was more in line with protest chants. (Think, 'Hell, no! We won't go!)

The Rosary is a quiet prayer that praises God and reflects on the life of Christ. It is a meditation, even contemplation for some. It also tells the story of a new creation, the new Adam, the new Eve.

A good reflection might be is most Jews will not talk Bible with Christians because they cannot breach the lack of understanding between language and cultures--and it is usually the Christians that make that impossible. Do we want the same to develop between Biblical Christians and Medieval (King James) Christians? Or, can we accept that some believe that the Rosary is powerful while it doesn't do a thing for others--and leave it at that.

"But the Bible says..." doesn't work any more. It can be compared to the Tower of Babel, where no one/few understand the language the other is speaking. If we get this, we just might find it easier to be even more respectful of other beliefs.

Mediation has been around long before the idea of attaching deities to it then calling it prayer.

I mentioned earlier I am more interested in etymology and original language meanings than anything else. I have gotten so I can identify who belongs to a traditional church and who belongs to a church that broke off in medieval times and focused on the King James English version. The English says this, but the original language meant something else.

The other issue I find compelling is that when I was younger, because I was always hearing how non-Catholic Christians were claiming Catholics didn't read/know the Bible that these non-Catholic Christians must be great Bible experts. I was shocked to realize they don't know more than Catholics, they know less--particularly when it comes to the Old Testament. It seems some non-Catholic Christian sects rely solely on Proof-texting/cherry picking than taking into account ALL the Bible says. Proof-texting and the language changes explains the very different understanding the Reformation brought into Christianity.
What does your god get out of someone reciting someone else's prayer? This sounds precisely like the formulaic chants and spells that could be looked up in your handy grimoire to call up demons and devils to do your bidding. Is the christian god controlled by magic words?

What does your god get out of someone reciting someone else's prayer? This sounds precisely like the formulaic chants and spells that could be looked up in your handy grimoire to call up demons and devils to do your bidding. Is the christian god controlled by magic words?
That is not how people of faith view or employ prayer.

When we approach God, we are cognizant that we are approaching glory, and we are thankful for all He is and all He does. With all this comes a prayer said since ancient times: Here I am, Lord. I come to do your will.

What is God's will, what is God's plan? This is two parts. The first includes Bible Study and contemplating or meditating on what it says, for it reveals God's plan(s). It teaches kingdom living in the life we live today. The second part is opening ourselves up to God every minute of the day, for what can we do for God/one another as we go through the day.

The Rosary can guide our meditations/contemplation of the Bible, its stories, and its teachings. For some it keeps us in the moment; others may see it as a distraction.

You may notice that it is not about approaching God for him to do our bidding, but rather our approach to God to do his bidding, his will. One of the marvelous New Testament stories is what God can do with what we have and are willing to give. For example, one day a small boy was willing to give what he had for lunch. He offered that, and a crowd was fed. It is amazing what God can do with the small amount we have to offer/give.

In prayer we open ourselves up so that we might become aware during our day, what we have to give, and thank God for His power to increase that giving in ways we may never know.

Words have power that's why religions contain so many repetitive prayers and chants.

I prefer a silent meditation where I do not dwell on words or sounds

That is not how people of faith view or employ prayer.

When we approach God, we are cognizant that we are approaching glory, and we are thankful for all He is and all He does. With all this comes a prayer said since ancient times: Here I am, Lord. I come to do your will.
You don't think a text recited verbatim by millions of people for a thousand years might lose some meaning? Some sincerity? Why would such acts please god more than the simple thoughts of his believers? Why would a god need rituals?
What is God's will, what is God's plan? This is two parts. The first includes Bible Study and contemplating or meditating on what it says, for it reveals God's plan(s).
Where does god or jesus tell us to study the Bible as it postdates Jesus by several centuries and your god hasn't spoken a great deal since his son passed through. The Bible tells you to study the Bible.
It teaches kingdom living in the life we live today.
Kingdom living? How to modify the Bible instructions for the modern era? Does that guidance come from god or some of his mortal proxies?
The second part is opening ourselves up to God every minute of the day, for what can we do for God/one another as we go through the day.
The Golden Rule always works well
The Rosary can guide our meditations/contemplation of the Bible, its stories, and its teachings.
I assume you memorized the Rosary many years ago. What further guidance can it provide you?
For some it keeps us in the moment; others may see it as a distraction.
I'm just wondering what your god gets out of it.
You may notice that it is not about approaching God for him to do our bidding, but rather our approach to God to do his bidding, his will.
Suppose, however, that while reciting the Rosary, all you can think about is what you want god to do for you? If half the believers on Earth rejected god, would he be harmed?
One of the marvelous New Testament stories is what God can do with what we have and are willing to give. For example, one day a small boy was willing to give what he had for lunch. He offered that, and a crowd was fed. It is amazing what God can do with the small amount we have to offer/give.
Are you suggesting that god needed the boys lunch to feed everyone else? If he could stretch a PBJ to feed a hundred people - an act requiring he violate the laws of nature - he never needed the PBJ in the first place. What was accomplished by this scenario? The boy will not be able to repeat the feat. Did god do that to impress people?
In prayer we open ourselves up so that we might become aware during our day, what we have to give, and thank God for His power to increase that giving in ways we may never know.
What do you have to give god that he wants or needs?

You don't think a text recited verbatim by millions of people for a thousand years might lose some meaning? Some sincerity? Why would such acts please god more than the simple thoughts of his believers? Why would a god need rituals?
There is nothing wrong with simple thoughts. "Here I am God, I come to do your will" can be a thought on the way out the door. It is not limited to a formal prayer time.

Where does god or jesus tell us to study the Bible as it postdates Jesus by several centuries and your god hasn't spoken a great deal since his son passed through. The Bible tells you to study the Bible.
There are several Gospel verse that tell of Jesus either reading scripture/Hebrew Bible or referencing it. The Bible is a good teaching tool. God does speak in various ways, so I wonder how much do we miss hearing?

Books have a way of inviting us to read them. The Bible is not exempt from that. It teaches and some find it fascinating.

Kingdom living? How to modify the Bible instructions for the modern era? Does that guidance come from god or some of his mortal proxies?
Kingdom living is discerning the will of God and following it. Observing the Commandments and the Beatitudes are also great features of Kingdom living.

Roman Catholic View of Mary​

The Roman Catholic Church claims that praying the Rosary properly venerates Mary since they claim,

Mary has by grace been exalted above all angels and men to a place second only to her Son, as the most holy mother of God who was involved in the mysteries of Christ: she is rightly honored by a special cult in the Church. From the earliest times the Blessed Virgin is honored under the title of Mother of God, whose protection the faithful take refuge together in prayer in all their perils and needs.[3]

Mary is also considered by Catholics to be a co-mediator and a co-redeemer. The Roman Catholic Church states that the Rosary encompasses the gospel. Praying the Rosary is also said to provide special graces and protection against various evils, including false teaching. Praying the Rosary is said to provide partial removal of the punishment that we deserve for our sins while we are here on earth. Roman Catholic doctrine also teaches that a person can earn a complete “relief” from all stored up punishment at the time of praying the Rosary, receiving the sacraments of confession, receiving the Eucharist, and offering prayers for the Pope. That is a brief overview of the Roman Catholic Rosary. However, it is important to know that other religions use the rosary also.

Does the Bible Mention the Rosary?​

Does the Bible refer to the Rosary? The answer is no! The concept of praying the Rosary using a string of beads, is never mentioned in Scripture because it is a human invention. It is not biblical and it is not of God. The Roman Catholics defend the “prayer of the Rosary” by showing that some phrases can be found in the Bible, but most of the “Hail Mary” prayer and “Hail Holy Queen” prayer cannot be found in the Bible. In fact, parts of the prayers are not only unbiblical; they are absolutely heretical.

Hail Mary Prayer​

For example in the “Hail Mary” prayer, the phrases “full of grace,” “Holy Mary,” and “Mother of God” are never said of Mary in the Bible. The phrase “Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb . . .” can be found in the Bible in Luke 1:42. “Hail, Mary” is the greeting the angel used in Luke 1:28 in the KJV. In the prayer, the request for Mary to “pray for sinners” is not biblical.

Hail Holy Queen Prayer​

The entire prayer called the “Hail Holy Queen” prayer is unbiblical. A few examples of statements that cannot be found in the Bible are “Hail Holy Queen,” “Mother of Mercy,” “To thee we send up our sighs,” “most gracious advocate” and “Holy Mother of God.”

The Bible says that Jesus is our advocate in 1 John 2:1.

Scripture never refers to Mary as being our advocate. This means that the Roman Catholic Church falsely teaches that Mary is our advocate when in truth only Jesus is our Advocate. The Roman Catholic Church is teaching false doctrine.

The Bible Says to Worship Only God​

Additionally, the Bible encourages us to pray to God and not to men or women. Jesus encouraged us to pray to the Father in Matthew 6:9-13. Jesus never encouraged us to pray to Mary. To pray to anyone other than God is a violation of the second of the Ten Commandments. We are not to worship anyone other than God. For example, in Acts 10:24-26 we read that a Gentile called Cornelius had bowed and worshipped Peter. Notice Peter’s reply.

Peter said, “Stand up; I too am just a man.” Mary was just a woman. Another example is Acts 14:13–15. Here a group of pagans fell down and worshipped the apostle Paul. Notice how Paul responded.

Just as Peter did, Paul stopped them from worshipping him.

In Matthew 4:10, Jesus tells Satan that we are to worship only God. That is, no one should bow down and worship Mary, and they should not pray to her either. It is a sin to worship and pray to Mary. The behaviors associated with “venerating Mary” are identical to acts of worship.

What the Bible Teaches About Mary​

In addition, Mary was not holy. In Mary’s prayer, “The Magnificat,” Mary calls God her “Savior.” The prayer is found in Luke 1:46-55. Mary states that she needs a Savior and calls God her Savior. Since only sinners need a Savior, Mary admits in prayer to God that she was a sinner in need of a Savior. She said this just after Jesus was conceived in her womb. Jesus, the holy Son of God, was born without a sin nature. In contrast, Mary was not immaculately conceived.

Finally, it is amazing that the Roman Catholic Church has adopted the title “Queen of Heaven” for Mary since the title occurs five times in the Bible in reference to a pagan goddess. Each time it is applied to the idols of the goddesses called “Ashtoreth,” “Astarte” and to the wife of Baal or Molech (Jeremiah 7:17–19; 44:16–27).[4] Why did the Roman Catholic Church give the name of an idol to Mary? It may be that God allowed that to happen to further reveal that Roman Catholicism is a false religion.

In summary, praying the Rosary does not provide forgiveness of our sins, give relief from punishment, or provide certain graces; nor does it give us victory over hell. Praying the Rosary is a deceptive practice that cannot be found in the Bible. It is heretical.

Does the Bible Teach Praying to Mary?​

The Bible never teaches us to pray to Mary. One cannot find any verses that encourage us to pray to Mary. There are no verses that say anyone prayed to Mary. But we do find Jesus encouraging us to pray to God the Father in Matthew 6:9-15. The Lord’s Prayer is found in this passage of Scripture. The studies, “Lord’s Prayer” and “The Lord’s Prayer,” will provide wonderful insights into how to pray to God the Father. There are many examples of the early Christians being encouraged to pray to God the Father and also examples of prayer to the Father (Acts 16:25; 2 Corinthians 13:7; Philippians 4:6; Colossians 1:3; Hebrews 13:15).

We also find an example of the martyr Stephen praying to Jesus when he was being stoned to death in Acts 7:59-60. But we cannot find any examples of prayers to the Holy Spirit. They do not exist. In addition, there are no examples of prayers to the saints or deceased family members.

Prayer is an act of worship of God. Hebrews 4:16 encourages us to go to the throne of grace so that we may receive mercy and find grace. It does not tell us to go to Mary. Prayer is an act of humility since we seek help from God. We must remember that the definition of the Greek word for prayer, proseuche, refers to an address made to God. Therefore, anyone who prays to Mary commits blasphemy. It is blasphemy to pray to anyone other than God the Father and the Son of God.

Conclusion:​

The Rosary is a pagan practice – not a Biblical one. The Rosary cannot be found in the Bible. The Rosary promises benefits which it cannot provide. The Rosary is doctrinal error since God has already given us different directions for prayer.

If you are a Christian, did you know that God has already forgiven all of your sins? If you are depending on Jesus to forgive your sins, then God has forgiven you and considers you to be holy. Listen to this wonderful verse.

Did you notice that Christians are the temple of God and that He considers us to be holy? Did you know that God already considers or views you to be in heaven?

God considers Christians to be spiritually seated in heaven while we are physically still here on earth. Positionally, we are in heaven even while we are still on earth. God has already forgiven ALL of your sins even though you still sin. He has already forgiven all of your past sins, present sins, and your future sins. But that does not mean you are free to sin. A true Christian will not want to sin since it is offensive to Jesus. In fact, if we sin and do not admit or confess that we have sinned, God will start disciplining us.

It is wonderful to know that God restores the sweetness of our fellowship with Him when we simply confess our sins. Confession is not begging God to forgive our sins. God does not forgive us because we have done some form of penance or suffered in some way in this life. Confession literally means “to admit.” God asks us to humble ourselves by admitting that we are sinners and by naming those sins we have committed. He forgives us because He has promised to forgive us. When we confess our sins to Him, the Holy Spirit ceases to be grieved and is then free to control us. Men have added penance and a Rosary. Why should we suffer more when Jesus suffered on the cross for us 2,000 years ago? Are you struggling with some past sin or sins? If so, maybe this will help from a gentleman already in Heaven.

Okay ,this whole thing is false off the bat.
There are Anglican Rosaries.
Methodists include great champions of the Rosary The late J. Neville Ward was an English Methodist and it was his FIve for Joy that got me enthusiastic about the Rosary

Plus it is gross ignorance or a pure lie to deny the popularity of the Scriptural Rosary forALL CHRISTIANS

Scripture Alone Rosary: A Prayer in Common for All Christians

by Andrew Schmiedicke | Oct 13, 2022

Forum List

Back