Is God invisible?

Powerman said:
'Ah, so then this quote no longer holds true:"

Well it's in the present tense isn't it? :banana:

You originally used it as an absolute, not a temporary truth. Then you backpedaled.

Are you going to try to deliberately mislead people about posts again? I have
already told you, the fine people on this board don't go in much for that.

Abbey Normal said:
You originally used it as an absolute, not a temporary truth. Then you backpedaled.

Are you going to try to deliberately mislead people about posts again? I have
already told you, the fine people on this board don't go in much for that.

I'm not trying to mislead people and I don't know what you mean by again. I'll consider it water under the bridge.

elephant said:
<b>I have been thinking "if atheists are this annoyoing and stupid, I am going to church on Sunday."</b>

Maybe Powerman is an evangelist with a new, crazy, reverse psychology method.

They're not. Save yourself the trip, time, and gas money. :D

-=d=- said:
Do you believe in anything you can't prove? Even science is 'taught' to you, and you must take it on faith that what you learn by word or promise or authority of another person is 'accurate'. You have faith what you know is 'right' or 'wrong'.
I believe in things that are taught to meif they make sense.
Science is proven by trial and experimentation.
Religion is proven by????

JOKER96BRAVO said:

Proven...there's the magic word. Most things are only proven to a certian 'level'. OJ Simpson was 'proven' to be 'not guilty' to a jury. Yet with largely the same evidence a civil court found him 'responsible'. Science has 'proven' certain things, to acceptable levels. Religion - specifically Christianity - simply 'makes sense'. The concepts the bible teaches have been 'proven' to me and millions of others. Not just spiritual, but biological/social concepts too.

Such as the SURE way to end or reduce 99% of teen pregnancies is to 'not have sex' until one is married. A SURE way to lower or eliminate divorce rates is to 'stay married'. A Great way to lower crime is to 'not murder'.

When reading the Bible's explanations and accounts, they just make sense. The effects of what i read HAS been 'proven' to me, time and again. Do I understand EVERYTHING? Probably not. There are things such as 'What will God do with tribes in Africa who have NEVER heard of Christ? Will they go to Hell after they die?' which I simply have faith about; Faith God is bigger older and wiser than I and will do the right thing.

JOKER96BRAVO said:

Not to use a simplistic analogy..but..

I have NEVER in my life placed my hand on a hot stove burner. My parents told me when I was young that it was hot and would burn me. I know burners are hot by the fact that you cook things on hot burners. I have burned my finger on something else that is hot.

But I have never experienced my hand being burned by a stove burner.

Does that mean it isn't proven? I can't actually say that placing my hand on a hot stove burner would burn my hand since I have never actually done it?

Or do I use the fact that my parents explained it to me, I have witnessed other things to back up what they told me; i.e. hot burners cook things - must be hot, I have burned my finger on other things, etc?

I take all this information and formulate my opinion. I can say the same things about Crystal-meth, heroin, driving into a brick wall at 75 mph.

I don't need to have something "done" to me for me to know it is true.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
GotZoom said:
Not to use a simplistic analogy..but..

I have NEVER in my life placed my hand on a hot stove burner. My parents told me when I was young that it was hot and would burn me. I know burners are hot by the fact that you cook things on hot burners. I have burned my finger on something else that is hot.

But I have never experienced my hand being burned by a stove burner.

Does that mean it isn't proven? I can't actually say that placing my hand on a hot stove burner would burn my hand since I have never actually done it?

Or do I use the fact that my parents explained it to me, I have witnessed other things to back up what they told me; i.e. hot burners cook things - must be hot, I have burned my finger on other things, etc?

I take all this information and formulate my opinion. I can say the same things about Crystal-meth, heroin, driving into a brick wall at 75 mph.

I don't need to have something "done" to me for me to know it is true.
You have been burned though.
Why does it matter what you were burned on?
You still know what it feels like.

JOKER96BRAVO said:

Who says religion has to be proven??

The New testament is a history book, which has been interpreted many ways over the years just as science has been.

-=d=- said:
Proven...there's the magic word. Most things are only proven to a certian 'level'. OJ Simpson was 'proven' to be 'not guilty' to a jury. Yet with largely the same evidence a civil court found him 'responsible'. Science has 'proven' certain things, to acceptable levels. Religion - specifically Christianity - simply 'makes sense'. The concepts the bible teaches have been 'proven' to me and millions of others. Not just spiritual, but biological/social concepts too.
Christianity does not make sense.
It answers all questions by saying "you have to have faith".
If it made sense, you wouldn't need "faith".

-=d=- said:
Such as the SURE way to end or reduce 99% of teen pregnancies is to 'not have sex' until one is married. A SURE way to lower or eliminate divorce rates is to 'stay married'. A Great way to lower crime is to 'not murder'.
Sounds like logic to me...
So now we can credit the Bible for common sense???
I'm pretty sure we could have reached the same conclusion without it.

-=d=- said:
When reading the Bible's explanations and accounts, they just make sense. The effects of what i read HAS been 'proven' to me, time and again. Do I understand EVERYTHING? Probably not. There are things such as 'What will God do with tribes in Africa who have NEVER heard of Christ? Will they go to Hell after they die?' which I simply have faith about; Faith God is bigger older and wiser than I and will do the right thing.
I'm sure it makes sense to you and many others but, not all people find
comfort in a "blind truth".

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
JOKER96BRAVO said:
Christianity does not make sense.
It answers all questions by saying "you have to have faith".
If it made sense, you wouldn't need "faith".

Sounds like logic to me...
So now we can credit the Bible for common sense???
I'm pretty sure we could have reached the same conclusion without it.

I'm sure it makes sense to you and many others but, not all people find
comfort in a "blind truth".

I'd bet dollars to donuts if you put an effort into finding out what christianity is about, it'd make perfect sense to you, bro.

Bonnie said:
Who says religion has to be proven??
For me to believe it.... I do.

Bonnie said:
The New testament is a history book, which has been interpreted many ways over the years just as science has been.
Interpreted, that's an interesting word.

-=d=- said:
I'd bet dollars to donuts if you put an effort into finding out what christianity is about, it'd make perfect sense to you, bro.
Tried that, had to many questions answered by
"You have to have faith".

JOKER96BRAVO said:
You have been burned though.
Why does it matter what you were burned on?
You still know what it feels like.

You have just proven my point. Yes, I have been burned before, I don't have to burned on a stove to know it is hot.

I see things all around me that indicate a higher being - every day there are reminders of God and his blessings and power.

I don't need him to burn a bush in front of me or appear as a 419 foot tall man with dark clouds and lightning all around him for me to know he is real.

I see and feel it every day.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
For me to believe it.... I do.

Interpreted, that's an interesting word.

The tennants of Christianity do make sense, and if one were to live by that there would be a lot less anguish, and screwing up of one's life.

For example, not stealing, kind of an obvious one, for many reasons including not going to jail and busting up families. Just one example. How do you think the Christian faith has survived all the problems and scandals? Because even though many have sinned the foundation is strong.

Do you realize that if everyone really lived and followed their faith the world would be a lot more problem free and less chaotic??

GotZoom said:
You have just proven my point. Yes, I have been burned before, I don't have to burned on a stove to know it is hot.

I see things all around me that indicate a higher being - every day there are reminders of God and his blessings and power.

I don't need him to burn a bush in front of me or appear as a 419 foot tall man with dark clouds and lightning all around him for me to know he is real.

I see and feel it every day.
I didn't prove your point.
In order to prove your point you would have to prove that what you see,
regardless of the method is actually from the source (God).
Same as being burned by any method is still from the same source, heat.

Bonnie said:
The tennants of Christianity do make sense, and if one were to live by that there would be a lot less anguish, and screwing up of one's life.

For example, not stealing, kind of an obvious one, for many reasons including not going to jail and busting up families. Just one example. How do you think the Christian faith has survived all the problems and scandals? Because even though many have sinned the foundation is strong.

Do you realize that if everyone really lived and followed their faith the world would be a lot more problem free and less chaotic??
Sins are not just bad cause the Bible says so.
Any normal person with the absence of Christianity still knows
it's wrong to kill.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I didn't prove your point.
In order to prove your point you would have to prove that what you see,
regardless of the method is actually from the source (God).
Same as being burned by any method is still from the same source, heat.

Lol..I had a friend in Italy who told me there are three things you shouldn't argue about. 1. Religion 2. Politics 3. Soccer.

I have my opinion. I have faith..from upbringing and my beliefs.

You want facts. You want me to prove what you think is a negative and I already know it is a positive.

It's all about faith. If you don't have it...don't feel it..you won't see it.

Forum List

Back