Is God invisible?

-=d=- said:
God operates on Faith. It would take NO faith to believe in Him if we could see him, in a physical sense.

That really is it!! People who have no faith will never see him in anything which is kind of sad .

Bonnie said:
That really is it!! People who have no faith will never see him in anything which is kind of sad .

It's ironic people put TONS of faith into OTHER things they cannot see, and things which make MUCH less sense (cough) evolution (cough)... :D

-=d=- said:
God operates on Faith. It would take NO faith to believe in Him if we could see him, in a physical sense.
Ahhh faith....
The all powerful answer to everything,
when there is no answer.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Ahhh faith....
The all powerful answer to everything,
when there is no answer.

...but...the answer IS faith. Most things in life we take on Faith. It's typically when faith is applied to God that some ppl denouce it, however.

-=d=- said:
...but...the answer IS faith. Most things in life we take on Faith. It's typically when faith is applied to God that some ppl denouce it, however.
Faith, in any case, is just a warm cup of cocoa and fuzzy slippers.

GunnyL said:
Well, you either have faith, or you don't think.
Not true
To me it seems to mean that one thinks for themselves.

Faith

1. n. Belief; the assent of the mind to the truth of what is declared by
another , resting solely and implicitly on his authority
and veracity; reliance on testimony.

2. n. The assent of the mind to the statement or proposition of
another, on the ground of the manifest truth of what
he utters; firm and earnest belief,on probable evidence of any kind, especially
in regard to important moral truth.

3. n. The belief in the historic truthfulness of the Scripture narrative, and the
supernatural origin of its teachings, sometimes called historical and
speculative faith.

4. n. The belief in the facts and truth of the Scriptures, with a practical love
of them; especially, that confiding and affectionate belief in the person and
work of Christ, which affects the character and life, and makes a man a true
Christian, -- called a practical, evangelical, or saving faith.

5. n. That which is believed on any subject, whether in science, politics, or
religion; especially (Theol.), a system of religious belief of any kind; as, the
Jewish or Mohammedan faith; and especially, the system of truth taught by
Christ; as, the Christian faith; also, the creed or belief of a Christian society
or church.

6. n. Fidelity to one's promises, or allegiance to duty, or to a person honored
and beloved; loyalty.

7. n. Word or honor pledged; promise given; fidelity; as, he violated his faith.

8. n. Credibility or truth.

9. interj. By my faith; in truth; verily.

10. loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person; "keep the faith"; "they
broke faith with their investors"

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Not true
To me it seems to mean that one thinks for themselves.

Faith

1. n. Belief; the assent of the mind to the truth of what is declared by
another , resting solely and implicitly on his authority
and veracity; reliance on testimony.

2. n. The assent of the mind to the statement or proposition of
another, on the ground of the manifest truth of what
he utters; firm and earnest belief,on probable evidence of any kind, especially
in regard to important moral truth.

3. n. The belief in the historic truthfulness of the Scripture narrative, and the
supernatural origin of its teachings, sometimes called historical and
speculative faith.

4. n. The belief in the facts and truth of the Scriptures, with a practical love
of them; especially, that confiding and affectionate belief in the person and
work of Christ, which affects the character and life, and makes a man a true
Christian, -- called a practical, evangelical, or saving faith.

5. n. That which is believed on any subject, whether in science, politics, or
religion; especially (Theol.), a system of religious belief of any kind; as, the
Jewish or Mohammedan faith; and especially, the system of truth taught by
Christ; as, the Christian faith; also, the creed or belief of a Christian society
or church.

6. n. Fidelity to one's promises, or allegiance to duty, or to a person honored
and beloved; loyalty.

7. n. Word or honor pledged; promise given; fidelity; as, he violated his faith.

8. n. Credibility or truth.

9. interj. By my faith; in truth; verily.

10. loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person; "keep the faith"; "they
broke faith with their investors"

Do you believe in anything you can't prove? Even science is 'taught' to you, and you must take it on faith that what you learn by word or promise or authority of another person is 'accurate'. You have faith what you know is 'right' or 'wrong'.

Powerman said:
I've kinda tossed around the term invisible God a few times and it got me to thinking that maybe I shouldn't be doing so. I do believe that there were people in the bible such as Moses who did look at God and were affected by his powerful presence. If God is so visually powerful then why has no one seen him in a few thousand years? Is he hiding behind some massive stellar object or does he just go on invisible mode or something? This might offer a better question. If God revealed himself to Moses in the form of a burning bush then why didn't he just do that when he met with Moses on Mt. Sinai? Seems kinda excessive for him to show up in his ultra powerful form that seemed to scar Moses for life doesn't it?

The better questions would be: if God showed up to you, would you still continue in your disbelief? And what exactly does God owe to you, that He should visually manifest Himself to you?

One of the times I saw Andy Kaufman perform, he took everyone for milk and cookies after the show.

Oreos and regular milk.

Why did he pick Oreos? Was it because he liked Oreos? Or is it just that Oreos taste better with milk?

This might be a better question. Why didn't he choose Chocolate Chip? I have always thought that milk is better with Chocolate chip cookies than with Oreos.

I think I figured out the answer. It was his show. He could do whatever he wanted to.

If God wanted to show himself as a burning bush, then an all powerful figure to show Moses that he was, in fact, God, then so be it.

Why question it?

What difference does it make?

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
gop_jeff said:
The better questions would be: if God showed up to you, would you still continue in your disbelief? And what exactly does God owe to you, that He should visually manifest Himself to you?

Of course I wouldn't continue in disbelief. God doesn't owe me anything but if he did exist it would be nice of him to prove it. Otherwise I can't believe because my brain won't allow me to. I could pretend I believed but I'd only be fooling myself. So if God does exist he created me for the sole purpose of damning me when I die since I am incapable of believing.

Powerman said:
Of course I wouldn't continue in disbelief. God doesn't owe me anything but if he did exist it would be nice of him to prove it. Otherwise I can't believe because my brain won't allow me to. I could pretend I believed but I'd only be fooling myself. So if God does exist he created me for the sole purpose of damning me when I die since I am incapable of believing.

Prove it how? You've never noticed certain things that have "happened" just when you needed it too?

Powerman said:

Look around. How can you see everything that you see, do everything you do, etc and not believe?

You are uncapable of believeing? You already decided this? Then what is the point if you are already convinced you will never believe?

GotZoom said:
Look around. How can you see everything that you see, do everything you do, etc and not believe?

You are uncapable of believeing? You already decided this? Then what is the point if you are already convinced you will never believe?

I am currently incapable of believing. Maybe that's a better way to put it.

And I've never understood the whole thing about looking around and then coming to the conclusion that there must be a God. Why are things that are aestheticly(sp?) pleasing proof of God? A person or a rose or other such beautiful things don't seem to me to be proof of God. To me it just proves that some things are pleasing to the eye. I could just as easily say that there isn't a God for every ugly thing in the world and obviously my argument wouldn't be relevant and neither is your statement.

Powerman said:

The resurrection of Jesus Christ has been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. I would recommend reading "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel. He lays out a very convincing argument for the Bible and the facts contained therein about God, Jesus, and Christianity in general.

And you saying that "your brain won't allow you to" is really you saying "I won't let myself believe." After all, you are in charge of what you think and how you process information. If you are incapable of believing, it is only because a) you haven't gathered the right information, or b) you have not processed it, for whatever reason.

Powerman said:
I am currently incapable of believing. Maybe that's a better way to put it.

Ah, so then this quote no longer holds true:
So if God does exist he created me for the sole purpose of damning me when I die since I am incapable of believing.

Perhaps then God created you knowing that at some point you would be capable of believing. The question facing you (and all of us) is, will you embrace it, or reject it.

'Ah, so then this quote no longer holds true:"

Well it's in the present tense isn't it? :banana:

I believe because I have faith. I feel, in my heart, that everything around me isn't due to a fluke. The whole evoltion argument, for me, is ridiculous. Where did everything come from if we came from a tiny little micro-organism and grew into what we are today. Yes, a rose, the sky, rain, etc.

I have faith that a greater being created all of this.

Forum List

Back