Is Dilbert Comic Racist?

Diversity = pc racism.
I'm glad we are having this conversation because both sides make good points.

Diversity is good because we know white bias exists and there are too many of us white men at the top in corporate america. This country is too diverse for all the top jobs to be going to white men. Come on white men admit it.

I like the law Joe's pushing to insist job posts list how much they pay. Starting pay. An employee can negotiate up but to be fair to blacks and women, post what the job pays please. Because what we see is employers pay them 75 cents for every dollar they pay us white guys. This will help the middle class/labor.

Turn this comment he made into a cartoon and ask yourself if he's a racist.

“I don’t want to have anything to do with them,” Adams added. “And I would say, based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to White people is to get the hell away from Black people, just get the f**k away … because there is no fixing this.”
Yes, if you leave out the details/context of what he said it can come across as racist.

This was on the Dilbert Site todayView attachment 639319

I think it's very funny, but I suspect many will accuse Dilbert (Scott Adams) of being racist.

I do not know whether it is "racist."

But no doubt there are many people who are looking for an excuse to so label it.

I think that it is an attempt to ridicule the popular trend for people to identify as something that they physically are not. For example, a strong masculine guy who says, "I now identify as a petite young lady."

This is 2023.

To avoid being canceled, people must avoid anything that can possibly be called "racist." Don't even say that vanilla is your favorite flavor and that you cannot stand chocolate ice cream.

I’ve been a Scott Adams/Dilbert fan for many years. Dilbert speaks almost directly to all three of the employers I’ve had in my professional career, so even as I can see the tight line of political correctness and humor the strip sometimes walks, I’ve always found it amusing.

Scott Adams’ recent commentary makes a lot of people uncomfortable because there is a lot of truth to what he said. He’s getting the backlash because he said out loud what a lot of white, middle class people privately think; and what many actually do in their lives. His true crime was saying the quiet part out loud.

I agree that Adams at times seemed to be running out of material. It's hard to keep coming up with new material daily for 30 years about working in an office environment. I would also agree that Adams went from being somewhat neutral politically with his material to conservative/right leaning, thus making woke leftist ideologs unhappy with him. And of course conservative ideology is racist (note sarcasm), so Adams must also be racist if he adheres to such ideology.
Your suggestion that conservative ideology is racist, whether sarcastic or not, is not something I ever expressed, nor would I.

Adams was a Trumper, and a cartoonist who had been losing his ability to be funny for years.

Many conservatives who oppose Trumpery find racism abhorrent.

Legal scholars, including at Federalist Society, say Trump can be convicted​

... More than 150 legal scholars signed on to the letter They include Steven Calabresi, the co-founder of the Federalist Society; Charles Fried, who served as solicitor general under Ronald Reagan and is now an adviser to the Harvard chapter of the Federalist Society; Ilya Somin, a law professor at George Mason University and adjunct scholar at the libertarian Cato Institute; and Brian Kalt, a law professor at Michigan State University and leading scholar on the specific question of whether former officials can be impeached.

[Legal scholars, including at Federalist Society, say Trump can be convicted]

I’ve been a Scott Adams/Dilbert fan for many years. Dilbert speaks almost directly to all three of the employers I’ve had in my professional career, so even as I can see the tight line of political correctness and humor the strip sometimes walks, I’ve always found it amusing. Scott Adams’ recent commentary makes a lot of people uncomfortable because there is a lot of truth to what he said. He’s getting the backlash because he said out loud what a lot of white, middle class people privately think; and what many actually do in their lives. His true crime was saying the quiet part out loud.
Yes, racism should not be accorded a public megaphone.

Private enterprise whose success requires appealing to a mass market has apparently concluded that it is not profitable.

I'm glad we are having this conversation because both sides make good points.

Diversity is good because we know white bias exists and there are too many of us white men at the top in corporate america. This country is too diverse for all the top jobs to be going to white men. Come on white men admit it.

I like the law Joe's pushing to insist job posts list how much they pay. Starting pay. An employee can negotiate up but to be fair to blacks and women, post what the job pays please. Because what we see is employers pay them 75 cents for every dollar they pay us white guys. This will help the middle class/labor.
It is a conservative principle that any private enterprise has the right to dispense with the services of anyone who is not contributing to its profit.

If newspapers have been determining that Adams' cartoons have no longer been been conducive to retaining and expanding their readership for years, it is their right and responsibility under free market capitalism.

It has been concluded that Adams' ideological dogma has damaged his once-humorous confections.

This was on the Dilbert Site todayView attachment 639319

I think it's very funny, but I suspect many will accuse Dilbert (Scott Adams) of being racist.

The comic itself didn't used to be.
The character in the shown panel was introduced, I think, about 2 years ago. Maybe later.
Adams has used to character as a megaphone to shout his bigoted views and, thus, introduced racism into the strip.
Add this to Adams presence on Twitter where he's gone on several racist diatribes and then to his outburst over the weekend.

If you want to be a bigot I have no problem with it.
When you take your bigotry public and then use your profession as a tool to spread hatred then you deserve all the blowback that comes.

Personally I've got a dozen or so of his books and used to read his strip every day.
Quit last year after one of his tirades.
I'm happy the newspapers and publisher have decided not to give him platform to spread his hate.

es, racism should not be accorded a public megaphone
Nice to know that the Truth can be racist. What exactly did Scott Adams say that was not based in verifiable facts?
Private enterprise whose success requires appealing to a mass market has apparently concluded that it is not profitable
He will still have outlets for his work, and those of us who enjoy it will still find it. We’ll also choose not to partake of those news outlets which have banished his work.

Nice to know that the Truth can be racist.
For racists, racism is truth. Calling Black Americans a “hate group” and suggesting that White people should “get the hell away” from them is overtly racist. "[G]et the hell away from Black people, just get the f**k away!”

He will still have outlets for his work, and those of us who enjoy it will still find it. We’ll also choose not to partake of those news outlets which have banished his work.
As long as you acknowledge that the free market allows employers to decline the services of those who are no longer profitable, there's no problem. Racists will always have their alternative venues.

Last edited:
For racists, racism is truth. Calling Black Americans a “hate group” and suggesting that White people should “get the hell away” from them is overtly racist. "[G]et the hell away from Black people, just get the f**k away!”
No, it’s common sense. Look at the differences in pretty much every significant economic, social and criminal statistic between communities that are mostly black and those which are mostly white. Can you truly tell me you want to live in those black neighborhoods if you have the choice?

I’m going to let you in on a secret… the difference isn’t skin tone. The difference is CULTURE. If/when the black community embraces the same cultural norms as whites, the statistics will change greatly within two generations. Likewise, white communities that are embracing black culture are going downhill at alarming rates.

As long as you acknowledge that the free market allows employers to decline the services of those who are no longer profitable, there's no problem
So long as they are private businesses, definitely. Just as I am free to avoid doing business with companies which do not accept my view of the world.

All the usual suspects congregating where you expect them to.

#LOLGOP #TooFunny #CLASSIC #AllRepublicansHaveForAmericaIsMORECultureWarBS

You don't have to keep talking about yourself.

You could answer the question instead. Was Scott wrong?

Two things. 1. Should he have the freedom to have this opinion and keep his job? And doesn't his employer have the right to fire him if he makes them look bad?

2. I actually kind of agree with him. Maybe I don't agree with there's no fixing this but the rest seems pretty spot on.

“If nearly half of all Blacks are not OK with White people – according to this poll, not according to me, according to this poll – that’s a hate group,” Adams said Wednesday on his YouTube show “Real Coffee with Scott Adams.”

“I don’t want to have anything to do with them,” Adams added. “And I would say, based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to White people is to get the hell away from Black people, just get the f**k away … because there is no fixing this.”

47 percent of Black respondents were not willing to say it’s OK to be white.

“If nearly half of all Blacks are not OK with white people—according to this poll, not according to me,” he said, “that’s a hate group.”

I wonder if we polled white people how many would say they like black people?

What if the results of the poll was opposite and a black person said to stay away from Whites, would this have been news?

What if the results of the poll was opposite and a black person said to stay away from Whites, would this have been news?
That's why Dilbert got upset. Just about half of them said it's not ok to be white. He said, "wouldn't that be a hate group?"

*sigh* Is you see racism in everything, you just might be a racist.

Forum List

Back