Zone1 Capitalizing B in black and not W in white is racist

The decision by many in the media to capitalize Black and lowercase white is pure racism - implying that Blacks deserve an honorific of sorts and whites must be assigned to a lowly and inferior position.

Some deny the subtle message being spread with this double standard, so I suggest that for today only we refer to Whites with a capital and blacks in lower case. That should make it apparent how racist this practice is.

After that, I suggest we follow The Atlantic’s suggestion: that we treat both races the same, and either capitalize both or lowercase both.

I always capitalize Black and White. I'm not like the racists of the old days who would spell negro with a lower case n.

Hispanic American is capitalized.

If blacks or whites wish to have an honorific referring to them capitalized, they can refer to themselves as African American or European Americans.

What a dumb article and dumb thread.
It made me curious so I looked it up, why capitalize or not capitalize. I’ve always assumed if using it as a proper noun it is capitalized, but otherwise not, and that is how I’ll continue.

Interesting article here though that makes good points:

It made me curious so I looked it up, why capitalize or not capitalize. I’ve always assumed if using it as a proper noun it is capitalized, but otherwise not, and that is how I’ll continue.

You are correct. Proper nouns are always capitalized. Thank you.

So, you like to start ugly threads, then report the people who respond to them? :confused-84:
What is ugly about pointing out that it is a double standard to change the use of capitalization depending on one’s skin color? Why are you Ok with treating blacks and whites differently?

This is Zone 1. Stop your personal insults.

Also, the person who “Re-opened” this thread to make a nasty personal insult, after more than a month of no replies, is a hack.

THREAD CLEANED - STAY ON TOPIC!
This is ZONE 1. Read the rules before posting replies. Warnings and bans WILL be issued.

That’s from Columbia - the most leftwing university in the country, perhaps tied with Berkeley - trying to justify the double standards. Whites are no more a monolith than blacks, and for Columbia to do so is racist in and of itself.

Neither should be capitalized.

That’s from Columbia - the most leftwing university in the country, perhaps tied with Berkeley - trying to justify the double standards. Whites are no more a monolith than blacks, and for Columbia to do so is racist in and of itself.

Neither should be capitalized.

Nope, I did a little research, she is indeed correct.

Where I live, there is one international airport, and several international corporations. Three mid-sized cities, sort of act like a large metropolis, but have the feel of small town Americana.

I have lived in two, and worked in all three. Saginaw, being one of the most integrated and diverse cities in the state. It is much too small to efficiently separate in to different local ruling entities, so? Unlike places like Lansing, Flint or Detroit, they are FORCED, by economic necessity, to integrate.

While there has been a traditional friction between the east side and the township, as the decades drag on, and resources dry up, ALL people want the best for their kids, so they have been FORCED to downsize and make the best schools they can. It really is a model for how folks can get along and live in peace.

The most diverse of the three, their paper seems to follow this protocol. The authors use African American a lot, but Black is used just as much. . and when it is used? Black, is capitalized.

The State of Saginaw’s Black Community: Promoting Dialogue, Understanding and Action​

I did a little research and found out the APA updated their guidelines in July 2022, saying that BOTH should be capitalized:
"Racial and ethnic groups are designated by proper nouns and are capitalized. Therefore, use “Black” and “White” instead of “black” and “white” (do not use colors to refer to other human groups; doing so is considered pejorative). Likewise, capitalize terms such as “Native American,” “Hispanic,” and so on."

I did a little research and found out the APA updated their guidelines in July 2022, saying that BOTH should be capitalized:
"Racial and ethnic groups are designated by proper nouns and are capitalized. Therefore, use “Black” and “White” instead of “black” and “white” (do not use colors to refer to other human groups; doing so is considered pejorative). Likewise, capitalize terms such as “Native American,” “Hispanic,” and so on."

Thank you. That is in line what I thought was right - that Whites and Blacks be addressed the same. If the standard is that they both are to be capitalized, that is certainly equitable and I will adapt that going forward.

P.S. For other posters to call me a racist, and go on a mocking and insulting personal attack, for suggesting what the APA has come to realize is fair was pretty disgusting. Thank you for cleaning it up.

We must consider the OP. This person is always looking for a reason to complain about blacks. The capitalization of a letter is a real petty thing to complain about when lives are lost in police murders, jobs are denied, and whites, whether you caitalize the w or not, have the most wealth in this country.

We must consider the OP. This person is always looking for a reason to complain about blacks. The capitalization of a letter is a real petty thing to complain about when lives are lost in police murders, jobs are denied, and whites, whether you caitalize the w or not, have the most wealth in this country.
^^^ I suppose this poster thinks the APA is racist as well, since they reached the same conclusion I did: people should not be addressed differently depending on their skin color.

Notice:

I have observed that as a result of my pointing out the inequity of capitalizing black and lower-casing white, a mod did research and found that the APA has reverted to treating both races the same.
Apparently, the APA recognized the same thing as I did - and I don’t hear the liberals calling THEM racist.

The rule is now to capitalize both.

Notice:

I have observed that as a result of my pointing out the inequity of capitalizing black and lower-casing white, a mod did research and found that the APA has reverted to treating both races the same.
Apparently, the APA recognized the same thing as I did - and I don’t hear the liberals calling THEM racist.

The rule is now to capitalize both.

Lisa, if this is the worst thing you have to worry about in the world, that people are capitalizing Black while not capitalizing white, then you really, really need to get a life.

Pointing out inequitable treatment is not “complaining about blacks.”

Lisa, if this is the worst thing you have to worry about in the world, that people are capitalizing Black while not capitalizing white, then you really, really need to get a life.
It’s the message behind giving an honorific to members on one race and not the other.

And of course it’s not the worst thing in the world. The antisemitism being spread by leftists like you is much more concerning, as is the president’s siding with Islamic terrorists over Jews.

It’s the message behind giving an honorific to members on one race and not the other.

And of course it’s not the worst thing in the world. The antisemitism being spread by leftists like you is much more concerning, as is the president’s siding with Islamic terrorists over Jews.

You guys blew the little good will you earned, certainly not my fault.

Take responsibility for your own life.

Forum List

Back