Is cursive writing dead?

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Schools dumping it in favor of learning the keyboard

Typing Beats Scribbling: Indiana Schools Can Stop Teaching Cursive - TIME NewsFeed

Who still writes in cursive?

That age-old writing method you might never have used since fourth grade will no longer be taught in Indiana schools come fall, thanks to a memo from school officials. Instead, students will be expected to become proficient in keyboard use.

Seems like a smart move as being able to type efficiently is a vital skill in today's world, as opposed to knowing how to write cursive, which — like being able to churn butter and knowing how to hitch a horse to a wagon — is no longer needed

Last edited:
I'm still probably one of the youngest members on USMB if not the youngest active member. That being said, when I was in elementary school, there was still a large amount of time spent on trying to teach kids cursive because they would need to know it one day.

I just think the matter of the fact is people don't really write anymore, outside of their name and some numbers. Everything is done on the computer. So I can see why schools are making the smart move by transitioning to keyboards. By the time they graduate high school, I would be surprised if cursive is taught in most schools at all.

I'm still probably one of the youngest members on USMB if not the youngest active member. That being said, when I was in elementary school, there was still a large amount of time spent on trying to teach kids cursive because they would need to know it one day.

I just think the matter of the fact is people don't really write anymore, outside of their name and some numbers. Everything is done on the computer. So I can see why schools are making the smart move by transitioning to keyboards. By the time they graduate high school, I would be surprised if cursive is taught in most schools at all.

I was taught cursive writing and penmanship. I gave it up in the 6th grade in favor of printing and haven't used it in 45 years. As useless as learning Roman numerals

Kids can text at 50 words per minute....cursive writing is not a needed skill

I love writing like that..in fancy script. But it's dead for me now. Can't hold a pen or pencil very well any more. Fucked up hands.

A lot of school systems have already given up cursive. My son is 18 and was never taught cursive in school. I graduated college in '79 and I think I had already personally gone to printing only. If not, it was shortly after that.

A lot of school systems have already given up cursive. My son is 18 and was never taught cursive in school. I graduated college in '79 and I think I had already personally gone to printing only. If not, it was shortly after that.

I think printing takes a lot longer and it's never as neat looking.

I think it's a shame.

Kids need to learn cursive, it they choose or not choose to use it later in life, oh well.

But I feel it's a skill that should be taught.

Mini EZ just sent out her Thank You notes today (for the birthday gifts she received) and they were in cursive.

It means more to the grandparent, etc. to get a hand written note than a text or an email, eh?

(not that thank you notes should only be written in cursive, but they should be hand-written...but I digress.........)

It requires a really high level of patience to do well. I think it is a useful thing to learn not for how you will use it, but for the inner discipline it creates in order to do it well.

I have been doing everything keyboard since 1980. My handwriting always was pathetic. This was mostly a courtesy to the reader.

sooo, they will all "sign" thier names by printing?

that's funny

Granted, currently the only cursive I use is my signature and only I can read it. But I used it well into my 30's. If I wanted to write a note in my journal or send a letter home, it was in cursive. The quality depended on who I wanted to read it.

that's funny

Granted, currently the only cursive I use is my signature and only I can read it. But I used it well into my 30's. If I wanted to write a note in my journal or send a letter home, it was in cursive. The quality depended on who I wanted to read it.

We could soon reach a point where a signature is obsolete

"Put your DNA on this contract"

that's funny

:eek:

Yikes!

I certainly hope not.

But I could see thumb prints becoming more common. The banks ask for one when cashing a check.

that's funny

:eek:

Yikes!

I certainly hope not.

But I could see thumb prints becoming more common. The banks ask for one when cashing a check.

Good thing you have two of them then! :thup: :thup:

change is going to happen, wether the oldies like it or not. put your thumb print here for identification

My little guy just finished up elementary school where he was expected to learn how to write in cursive. He actually enjoys it.

Forum List

Back