Is cursive writing dead?

agreed. there is a latent learning that goes on when you do these things in a tactile manner.

I was taught palmer penmanship, It also taught me discipline. I don't know how many hours I sat and scribbled O's on the edge of O's on the edge of O's to get my hand trained.

The "Palmer" method is beautiful. It's hard to tell if a man or a woman is doing the writing.

Palmer_method_sample_new.jpg

This is an example of why, while I'm not necessarily opposed to teaching cursive writing, I am not a fan of it's use. I find printing much easier to read, it has far fewer legibility issues. With this simple Palmer image I found myself having to consciously differentiate some of the letters rather than simply reading the word. Certainly there's an issue of familiarity, as the printed word, whether typed or hand-written, is far more common than cursive. Still, cursive writing seems to suffer more from people giving it their own personal touches. People seem more able to write with a uniform look in print than cursive.

Cursive is the 'prettier' writing. I consider it a decorative form of writing, whereas printing is functional. So, if teaching cursive is helpful in childrens' learning, I am all for it; however, it should not be taught because it is useful in day-to-day life.

Printing is easier to read, but for me, printing instead of writing is just the opposite. As I said, if I'm printing, I find I'm thinking of each letter, while if I'm writing, the letters flow automatically into a word.

Another lefty agenda of dummying our children down.

Yeah, but Indiana is run by Republicans.

It's lefty school officials who are doing it ,not your state legislature.

The overall poor quality of primary education isn't the fault of any political party; it's because education has been a low priority for at least 3 decades among parents. School boards are almost always comprised of said parents.

Forum List

Back