Is cursive writing dead?

This is a shame. There is a definite connection between writing with one's hands and learning. Typing doesn't do that.

agreed. there is a latent learning that goes on when you do these things in a tactile manner.

I was taught palmer penmanship, It also taught me discipline. I don't know how many hours I sat and scribbled O's on the edge of O's on the edge of O's to get my hand trained.
Hmmm, Palmer....Catholic school, eh?

Ever noticed that we have an entire generation that has no idea how to even hold a writing implement?

nope, public school and military school.

yes, same for eating utensils...;)

Ok, so kids won't be able to sign their names to documents or checks or wherever. They already can't add or subtract without a computer or calculator so why be able to write either. Our schools are already dumbing down Americans, its no wonder other countries kids beat ours every day.

Kids get to use calculators in higher math classes, but still must "show their work" on assignments to prove they understand the math and how it works.

The problem with American education is all of the new fangled teaching theories that keep popping up and the lack of rules and disipline. That and stanardized testing, the results of which can be seen in the Atlanta scandel going on right now. My son who just graduated would come home each day talking about kids being drunk or stoned in class, talking back to teachers, they bring food and drinks into class and text or sleep during class. Man, when I was in school in the mid-70's, the teacher that didn't whip out the paddle and give you swats would at the very least drag your ass down to the principal. The relaxed atmosphere and teaching to the standardized test in order to get federal dollars is what has killed education. Close the campus, make them wear uniforms, give teachers and admin the ability to actually discipline the students and allow the school board to set the standards of education in their district instead of having a national "standard" tied to funding. Change those things and you will see education turn around.

They don't teach it where I live. My wife was outraged. She wanted to send our son to summer school just so he could write cursive.

It's kind of like circumcision isn't it. It's just the way we've always done it, so it must be right.

Ok, so kids won't be able to sign their names to documents or checks or wherever. They already can't add or subtract without a computer or calculator so why be able to write either. Our schools are already dumbing down Americans, its no wonder other countries kids beat ours every day.

They could always spend 20 minutes teaching kids how to sign their names

I have spent 8 hours a day typing for many years. The result is I can no longer write in cursive, at least not so it can be understood. Like so many things, if you don't use it, you lose it.

This is a shame. There is a definite connection between writing with one's hands and learning. Typing doesn't do that.

agreed. there is a latent learning that goes on when you do these things in a tactile manner.

I was taught palmer penmanship, It also taught me discipline. I don't know how many hours I sat and scribbled O's on the edge of O's on the edge of O's to get my hand trained.

The "Palmer" method is beautiful. It's hard to tell if a man or a woman is doing the writing.

Palmer_method_sample_new.jpg

Kids get to use calculators in higher math classes, but still must "show their work" on assignments to prove they understand the math and how it works.

The problem with American education is all of the new fangled teaching theories that keep popping up and the lack of rules and disipline. That and stanardized testing, the results of which can be seen in the Atlanta scandel going on right now. My son who just graduated would come home each day talking about kids being drunk or stoned in class, talking back to teachers, they bring food and drinks into class and text or sleep during class. Man, when I was in school in the mid-70's, the teacher that didn't whip out the paddle and give you swats would at the very least drag your ass down to the principal. The relaxed atmosphere and teaching to the standardized test in order to get federal dollars is what has killed education. Close the campus, make them wear uniforms, give teachers and admin the ability to actually discipline the students and allow the school board to set the standards of education in their district instead of having a national "standard" tied to funding. Change those things and you will see education turn around.

And those that don't like it (parents and children) can choose to drop out and get left out. It's time to stop force-feeding education, even K-12.

I have spent 8 hours a day typing for many years. The result is I can no longer write in cursive, at least not so it can be understood. Like so many things, if you don't use it, you lose it.

Mine (for my eyes only) has become a combination of handwriting, shorthand, and text abbreviations. Pity the person who's looking forward to reading my journal once I croak.

My handwriting looks like a cross between Mayan glyphs and Sanskrit; I type 2 fingered knowing that if I am foolish enough to look away from the keyboard, the keys will move under my fingers.

The QWERTY keyboard is the most absurd piece of modern equipment still in use; it's like putting a horse on a car and making you sit on the horse for transportation. The common letters are totally inaccessible, and there are no fast keys for common words like it, and, but, or and the.

Cursive was a way for people to communicate faster. I'm sorry but yes it has outlived it's purpose. It is not dead as we will catalog it in history but as for being useful it is dead. Keyboarding has replaced it.

It may be phased out of public schools eventually, but it will still be taught in private schools....perhaps even become a status symbol someday. People don't need to speak Latin anymore, but it's still being taught to the well educated.

I'm still probably one of the youngest members on USMB if not the youngest active member. That being said, when I was in elementary school, there was still a large amount of time spent on trying to teach kids cursive because they would need to know it one day.

I just think the matter of the fact is people don't really write anymore, outside of their name and some numbers. Everything is done on the computer. So I can see why schools are making the smart move by transitioning to keyboards. By the time they graduate high school, I would be surprised if cursive is taught in most schools at all.

I was taught cursive writing and penmanship. I gave it up in the 6th grade in favor of printing and haven't used it in 45 years. As useless as learning Roman numerals

Kids can text at 50 words per minute....cursive writing is not a needed skill

I dumped it as soon as I wasn't graded on it anymore too.

I wrote in cursive until I joined the Navy. logbooks and passdowns had to be printed. After 20 years of the Navy, I lost my penmanship and print everything in capital letters.

Schools dumping it in favor of learning the keyboard

Typing Beats Scribbling: Indiana Schools Can Stop Teaching Cursive - TIME NewsFeed

Who still writes in cursive?

That age-old writing method you might never have used since fourth grade will no longer be taught in Indiana schools come fall, thanks to a memo from school officials. Instead, students will be expected to become proficient in keyboard use.

Seems like a smart move as being able to type efficiently is a vital skill in today's world, as opposed to knowing how to write cursive, which — like being able to churn butter and knowing how to hitch a horse to a wagon — is no longer needed

Yea thats wonderful, now kids will be illiterate when it comes to cursive. Its already bad enough when they all write in "phone text". And since when is cursive knowns as "scribbling"?

Why am I not surprised that idiots like you are in favor of dumbing down our kids.

Typing Beats Scribbling: Indiana Schools Can Stop Teaching Cursive - TIME NewsFeed

That age-old writing method you might never have used since fourth grade will no longer be taught in Indiana schools come fall, thanks to a memo from school officials. Instead, students will be expected to become proficient in keyboard use.

Seems like a smart move as being able to type efficiently is a vital skill in today's world, as opposed to knowing how to write cursive, which — like being able to churn butter and knowing how to hitch a horse to a wagon — is no longer needed

Yea thats wonderful, now kids will be illiterate when it comes to cursive. Its already bad enough when they all write in "phone text". And since when is cursive knowns as "scribbling"?

Why am I not surprised that idiots like you are in favor of dumbing down our kids.

Those kids can text at 50 wpm. When was the last time you wrote Or read a document or report in cursive?

On a side note....when was the last time you saw a secretary use shorthand?

Last edited:
There is no greater waste of time than to teach kids cursive script.

IN the first place most manly boys do not have the finer motor control to achieve anything like legible cursive script.

In the second there is no evidence that a person who prints instead of using cursive script is at any disadvantage in terms of speed of writing.

About the only time I bother with cursive script is when I sign my name.

And that scrawl of mine is totally illlegible.

Cursive script was the invention of 15th century Italian monks.

It's a freaking waste of a kids' time to learn it.

Hmmm, Palmer....Catholic school, eh?

Ever noticed that we have an entire generation that has no idea how to even hold a writing implement?

nope, public school and military school.

yes, same for eating utensils...;)

A piece of white paper wrapped around the food is the only required utensil sometimes!

I don't think RW said he was "in favor" of it. Jayzus, try some anger management.

And the only thing worse than writing cursive is reading it.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

Learn to read!
I happen to write in cursive and it's very neat, thank you very much!!!
People can read it, it looks neat and tidy and I enjoy writing in cursive. Doctors use chicken scratch, and you probably have a hard time reading their signatures, but with us regular folk, if the cursive is done right, others should have no problem reading it.

Forum List

Back