Is cursive writing dead?

sooo, they will all "sign" thier names by printing?

that's funny

Granted, currently the only cursive I use is my signature and only I can read it. But I used it well into my 30's. If I wanted to write a note in my journal or send a letter home, it was in cursive. The quality depended on who I wanted to read it.

Funny, the only cursive I use is my signature and oddly, the amount line of the check. The pay to the order line, I print along with the memo line.

that's funny

Granted, currently the only cursive I use is my signature and only I can read it. But I used it well into my 30's. If I wanted to write a note in my journal or send a letter home, it was in cursive. The quality depended on who I wanted to read it.

We could soon reach a point where a signature is obsolete

"Put your DNA on this contract"
:eek:

Yikes!

I certainly hope not.

But I could see thumb prints becoming more common. The banks ask for one when cashing a check.

Or that 666 on our forehead! :FIREdevil:

that's funny

Funny, the only cursive I use is my signature and oddly, the amount line of the check. The pay to the order line, I print along with the memo line.

It all comes down to whether or not another person will need to read it.

A letter home can be read by the family. A public note will more than likely be printed

but

Anyone trying to read my class notes or anything that only I will read, better bring the CIA to crack the code, cuz DaVincci has nuthin on me.

We could soon reach a point where a signature is obsolete

"Put your DNA on this contract"
:eek:

Yikes!

I certainly hope not.

But I could see thumb prints becoming more common. The banks ask for one when cashing a check.

Or that 666 on our forehead! :FIREdevil:

---------------------------
Microsoft Internet Explorer
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kwc57 again.
OK
bummer

We, for government, it is the nature of the beast.

I think it's a shame.

Kids need to learn cursive, it they choose or not choose to use it later in life, oh well.

But I feel it's a skill that should be taught.

Mini EZ just sent out her Thank You notes today (for the birthday gifts she received) and they were in cursive.

It means more to the grandparent, etc. to get a hand written note than a text or an email, eh?

(not that thank you notes should only be written in cursive, but they should be hand-written...but I digress.........)

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I'm so glad there are still some folks in this world who know how much a hand-written -- or printed -- note of thanks means to others. I've always taught (and made when they were little) my kids write thank you notes. I even waited until my son's graduation for him to send his notes out so he could include a pic. People like knowing that they gift they sent/gave you was appreciated. That will never change.

This is a shame. There is a definite connection between writing with one's hands and learning. Typing doesn't do that.

In one of my college classes the teacher said we could use our notebooks for tests and that we could put whatever we wanted in those note books but . . . it had to be written by us. If we wanted to write the entire book and put it in the notebook that was fine. When the kids asked him why his response was 'because you will learn the material better if you write it yourself'. He was right.

All three of my kids print rather than write in cursive. They find cursive awkward.

I'm fine with them teaching typing in school. My oldest learned how to type in 4th grade but for some reason the other two weren't taught so they hunt-and-peck. I've even bought the 'learn to type at home' software and they gave up because the hunt-and-peck was so engrained. Damn it . . . I made the mistake of assuming that because the oldest was taught that meant the others would also be taught. Had I known they weren't I would have had them learn how to type when they were 8 or 9. Stupid on my end.

I write in cursive every day, and I love it!
I also think it's prettier, well for some....than just printing. Women usually always have prettier hand writing than the gents, but I have seen a few gents who have beautiful hand-writing (cursive).
When I write letters, I write them in cursive and the schools here in my area, still teach students how to write in cursive.
A "signature" will never be a signature if it not written in cursive.
Come on, keep with the cursive people :)

I think it's a shame.

Kids need to learn cursive, it they choose or not choose to use it later in life, oh well.

But I feel it's a skill that should be taught.

Mini EZ just sent out her Thank You notes today (for the birthday gifts she received) and they were in cursive.

It means more to the grandparent, etc. to get a hand written note than a text or an email, eh?

(not that thank you notes should only be written in cursive, but they should be hand-written...but I digress.........)

Thank you notes need to be handwritten. Mini KWC graduated this year and he has been writing thank you notes right and left......well, printing thank you notes. If anyone wants the address to send him a gift, just let me know and I'll make sure you get a note. :lol:

it should definitely still be taught. think about how many times you still do use writing in your lives. everything can't be typed

This is a shame. There is a definite connection between writing with one's hands and learning. Typing doesn't do that.

Nor does printing. Somewhere between learning the basics of handwriting and doing it automatically, you learn that thoughts put to sentences in a flowing manner work together in tangent. When I print something, I'm always spelling it out, not writing the word without hesitation. (Same with advanced typing skills, though. If I had to think about which keys to use to form a word, it would take me ten times as long to post some of my more fascinating comments. :lol:)

agreed. there is a latent learning that goes on when you do these things in a tactile manner.

I was taught palmer penmanship, It also taught me discipline. I don't know how many hours I sat and scribbled O's on the edge of O's on the edge of O's to get my hand trained.

Ok, so kids won't be able to sign their names to documents or checks or wherever. They already can't add or subtract without a computer or calculator so why be able to write either. Our schools are already dumbing down Americans, its no wonder other countries kids beat ours every day.

Schools dumping it in favor of learning the keyboard

Typing Beats Scribbling: Indiana Schools Can Stop Teaching Cursive - TIME NewsFeed

Who still writes in cursive?

That age-old writing method you might never have used since fourth grade will no longer be taught in Indiana schools come fall, thanks to a memo from school officials. Instead, students will be expected to become proficient in keyboard use.

Seems like a smart move as being able to type efficiently is a vital skill in today's world, as opposed to knowing how to write cursive, which — like being able to churn butter and knowing how to hitch a horse to a wagon — is no longer needed

I hope not. It will be sad to see adults who write like a 5 year old's.

A lot of school systems have already given up cursive. My son is 18 and was never taught cursive in school. I graduated college in '79 and I think I had already personally gone to printing only. If not, it was shortly after that.

My little guy just finished up elementary school where he was expected to learn how to write in cursive. He actually enjoys it.

Yeah, I teach special needs kids, they BEG to learn cursive (in the second grade)-I tell them it's taught in third grade (but apparently not anymore :( ) but if they get free time I let them practice in some extra cursive books I have. They love it!

agreed. there is a latent learning that goes on when you do these things in a tactile manner.

I was taught palmer penmanship, It also taught me discipline. I don't know how many hours I sat and scribbled O's on the edge of O's on the edge of O's to get my hand trained.
Hmmm, Palmer....Catholic school, eh?

Ever noticed that we have an entire generation that has no idea how to even hold a writing implement?

Forum List

Back