Is creativity a sin?

If you break up with a boyfriend or girlfriend is that sinning?
No, because that does not create any thing new.
A breakup causes suffering and your logic specifically states that creativity is a sin because it causes suffering. Are you saying your logic is only applicable to creativity? These are your words right?

"My thesis is that creativity is a sin, because it generates suffering"
Yes, breaking up may cause suffering or it may also cause joy, none of which through the means of creation. Yes, in this thread it is creativity and creation, what is explored.
I agree. However, if your claim is that creativity is a sin because it generates suffering then you must be consistent and apply that to everything that generates suffering in order to be logical correct?
It would be easy to say yes, but I think no, because it must be also logical to identify a particular possible source of suffering, such as creativity, to be a sin because it causes suffering, without the need to look at other sources. It is not true that all possible sources of suffering would need to act together to cause suffering, so the answer is no.

Most of my teachers commend creativity and a creative mind. Also, creative people are proud of their creativity. But let's look at it more closely.

My thesis is that creativity is a sin, because it generates suffering. Everything that begins to exist also begins to suffer. Therefore if causing suffering is a sin, then creativity is a sin.

My teachers tell me that this logic is all wrong, and I waste myself with it and so on. But I think the less things we create, the less things we manufacture, the less things we sell, the happier we make the world, and the more sin we remove.

Your take?

Discuss.
Questions:
1. Are you looking for an excuse to be lazy?

2. Did you smoke too much pot?

This is interesting. Some Protestant circles, such as the puritans, think that you can work yourself into heaven. This is biblically and dogmatically false.

Most of my teachers commend creativity and a creative mind. Also, creative people are proud of their creativity. But let's look at it more closely.

My thesis is that creativity is a sin, because it generates suffering. Everything that begins to exist also begins to suffer. Therefore if causing suffering is a sin, then creativity is a sin.

My teachers tell me that this logic is all wrong, and I waste myself with it and so on. But I think the less things we create, the less things we manufacture, the less things we sell, the happier we make the world, and the more sin we remove.

Your take?

Discuss.
Questions:
1. Are you looking for an excuse to be lazy?

2. Did you smoke too much pot?

This is interesting. Some Protestant circles, such as the puritans, think that you can work yourself into heaven. This is biblically and dogmatically false.
So, you're looking for an excuse to be lazy then.

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

If you break up with a boyfriend or girlfriend is that sinning?
A breakup causes suffering and your logic specifically states that creativity is a sin because it causes suffering. Are you saying your logic is only applicable to creativity? These are your words right?

Yes, breaking up may cause suffering or it may also cause joy, none of which through the means of creation. Yes, in this thread it is creativity and creation, what is explored.
I agree. However, if your claim is that creativity is a sin because it generates suffering then you must be consistent and apply that to everything that generates suffering in order to be logical correct?
It would be easy to say yes, but I think no, because it must be also logical to identify a particular possible source of suffering, such as creativity, to be a sin because it causes suffering, without the need to look at other sources. It is not true that all possible sources of suffering would need to act together to cause suffering, so the answer is no.
its fine to say creativity is a sin because of suffering but if thats your reason for calling it a sin you must apply that reasoning to everything that causes suffering or you become a hypocrite. Thats like saying I am afraid of sharks because the live in the ocean but I love dolphins. The logical response that is going to occur is that dolphins also live in the ocean.

Your take?

Discuss.
I have no idea what you mean when you say creativity generates suffering. For whom, the creative person? Does a skilled musician cause suffering when he plays for himself or for others? Does a doctor sin if he attempts to cure cancer in a person with aggressive treatments? Very odd premise, obviously I'm missing something.

its fine to say creativity is a sin because of suffering but if thats your reason for calling it a sin you must apply that reasoning to everything that causes suffering or you become a hypocrite. Thats like saying I am afraid of sharks because the live in the ocean but I love dolphins. The logical response that is going to occur is that dolphins also live in the ocean.

It could be postulated that anything that causes suffering is a sin. There would be various degrees of sin within this premise. It would be a sin even if the suffering is for a later good. I still think that this is a different category from the sin of creativity.

Your take?

Discuss.
I have no idea what you mean when you say creativity generates suffering. For whom, the creative person? Does a skilled musician cause suffering when he plays for himself or for others? Does a doctor sin if he attempts to cure cancer in a person with aggressive treatments? Very odd premise, obviously I'm missing something.

Very interesting point. Music is a creativity subject. So if creativity is a sin, which it seems to be, then playing music ends up to be a sin too. Although, some results of some creativity is also found in heaven, some music notably. So we would probably need to add that human creativity is a sin.

Forum List

Back