Is creativity a sin?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Most of my teachers commend creativity and a creative mind. Also, creative people are proud of their creativity. But let's look at it more closely.

My thesis is that creativity is a sin, because it generates suffering. Everything that begins to exist also begins to suffer. Therefore if causing suffering is a sin, then creativity is a sin.

My teachers tell me that this logic is all wrong, and I waste myself with it and so on. But I think the less things we create, the less things we manufacture, the less things we sell, the happier we make the world, and the more sin we remove.

Your take?

Discuss.

Most of my teachers commend creativity and a creative mind. Also, creative people are proud of their creativity. But let's look at it more closely.

My thesis is that creativity is a sin, because it generates suffering. Everything that begins to exist also begins to suffer. Therefore if causing suffering is a sin, then creativity is a sin.

My teachers tell me that this logic is all wrong, and I waste myself with it and so on. But I think the less things we create, the less things we manufacture, the less things we sell, the happier we make the world, and the more sin we remove.

Your take?

Discuss.
The real question is what does your shrink say? :dunno:

Water can generate suffering if you drink too much. I dont get your logic. Do books suffer after they exist?
Why not, like everything else, yes books too. Can you imagine how many idiots beat them up before they even get a chance to rust away all by themselves?

Your take?

Discuss.
You sound like my teachers.

Your take?

Discuss.
Sane?

Your take?

Discuss.
Sane?
Arrghmmm. Are my teachers sane? They don't believe a word I say either.

Your take?

Discuss.
Creativity is a sin?

How creative a thesis. Let us know what hell is like. USMB has a network IP address there.

Your take?

Discuss.
Creativity is a sin?

How creative a thesis. Let us know what hell is like. USMB has a network IP address there.
I am sure about it.

Your take?

Discuss.
Sane?
Arrghmmm. Are my teachers sane? They don't believe a word I say either.
That's okay, I won't ride on double decker buses, no driver on the top....... :eusa_whistle:

Water can generate suffering if you drink too much. I dont get your logic. Do books suffer after they exist?
Why not, like everything else, yes books too. Can you imagine how many idiots beat them up before they even get a chance to rust away all by themselves?
So you think books are sentient? You do realize thats what you are saying dont you?

If you break up with a boyfriend or girlfriend is that sinning?
No, because that does not create any thing new.
A breakup causes suffering and your logic specifically states that creativity is a sin because it causes suffering. Are you saying your logic is only applicable to creativity? These are your words right?

"My thesis is that creativity is a sin, because it generates suffering"

So you think books are sentient? You do realize thats what you are saying dont you?
Well, nobody has yet been able to define, let alone measure, the limits of being sentient. Soon sentient software will be sold. E-books too?

A breakup causes suffering and your logic specifically states that creativity is a sin because it causes suffering. Are you saying your logic is only applicable to creativity? These are your words right?

Yes, breaking up may cause suffering or it may also cause joy, none of which through the means of creation. Yes, in this thread it is creativity and creation, what is explored.

Yes, breaking up may cause suffering or it may also cause joy, none of which through the means of creation. Yes, in this thread it is creativity and creation, what is explored.
I agree. However, if your claim is that creativity is a sin because it generates suffering then you must be consistent and apply that to everything that generates suffering in order to be logical correct?

Your take?

Discuss.
Questions:
1. Are you looking for an excuse to be lazy?

2. Did you smoke too much pot?

Forum List

Back