Gen Z Forgoing College to Attend Trade Schools

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Golly. Gee whiz. That’s really tough for the college and university diploma mills. All that outrageous tuition and extra exorbitant fees down the tubes. [Maybe the same tubes these trade school graduates are going to unclog.]

For decades, technical and vocational schools have been falling out of favor, as more and more people opt for getting advanced degrees at four-year colleges. But recently, with the job market over-promising and underpaying, the trend has begun to reverse: States have started to reinvest in trade schools. And the generation inheriting volatile job prospects, a gig economy, and contract pay is following suit.

Generation Z—those who were born between the mid-1990s and early 2000s—are more often turning to trade schools to avoid the skyrocketing student debt crisis and hone skills that translate directly into jobs, from electrical engineering to cosmetology. While the power of trade unions has dwindled, and societal value still favors more elite professions, young students are finding themselves drawn to stable paychecks in fields where there’s an obvious need.

Much more @ Gen Z Is Forgoing College to Attend Trade Schools, and This Is Horrid News for the Left

I didn't go to college or trade school. Learned the skills that I wanted (computers, personnel, pay), by joining the Navy.

And, because it was such a good job (loved the travel), I decided to turn it into a career.

20 years later? I was retired.

major.jpg

Unless your test scores indicate you are college material, you are way way better off going the trade or business route. And you won't be starting adult life with $100K or more in debt hanging over your head.

College isn’t for everyone. And it is a damned expensive way to find out.

There is room for diversity...college, trade schools, apprenticeship programs and community colleges. We should encourage students to look all with pigeonholing them.

A degree in transgenderism in the 12th century isn't going to get a job paying as well as a plumber.

I am in that generation, and I am going to college because my parents beat me into it. The financial risks may be enormous, but don't forget parental pressure, which is even worse.

So let me summarize the life of generation Z. Don't go to college and let your parents hound you to death, or go to college and starve to death.

I am in that generation, and I am going to college because my parents beat me into it.

What are you majoring in? What are you interested in doing as a career?
I major in mathematics. But my career interest is international intelligence, if I will ever be allowed to do such a thing. I would be perfectly happy to be a driver or a priest too, but looks like I will spend my life with endless long hours in some bank office designing models for investment strategies and what not. Pfft.

I am in that generation, and I am going to college because my parents beat me into it. The financial risks may be enormous, but don't forget parental pressure, which is even worse.

So let me summarize the life of generation Z. Don't go to college and let your parents hound you to death, or go to college and starve to death.

OR, grow a pair and do what you want.

Forum List

Back