Is anyone rebalancing into foreign market funds or stocks?

Not sure how old you are, or when you are going to be drawing from your 401k, but given the dramatic run up we have seen since the new year, the amount of margin debt, the low volatility and the seemingly absence of any fear, I would have some hedges in place.

Anyone want to answer where ya get these...sound perfect for the kids who dont have lot of cash

I took about 25% of my 401K and pushed it into an overseas fund late last year that has been doing well. Is anyone thinking along the same lines, that being foreign stocks and markets will outperform the US markets this year?
Only on long term Canadian marijuana..

Anyone want to answer where ya get these...sound perfect for the kids who dont have lot of cash
Vita Nelson is the training wheels for entry and the big discounts from market are REITs and utilities because they eat capital like there's no tomorrow. Pipelines for example are an expanding annuity and they also include the thousand year old sewers of Europe, water lines, and underground utilities. REITs include hauling trash and janitorial work. Sodexho, a French REIT, even does the laundry at Mayo Clinic Jax. If you can get everything organized with 12 companies with the right xdiv dates and with 5% discounts you can make 85% a year for a while in DRIPs just moving some money around. Then the cycle swings the other way to fees, fees, fees for a while.

Here is a link to Vita Nelson's DRPs. You are buying shares directly from the companies through her service. William provided another person with similar services.

DRIP Investing - Direct Investment Plans & Dividend Reinvestment DRIPs | Moneypaper
There ya go .bookmarked,.thanks. Understand value of Div reinvesting,late to the game but all 3 of those foreign stocks I listed pay a decent div which is reinvested and have appreciated nicely also.
Just out of curiosity do either of you make straight value plays.....all gains would be thru stock appreciation

Not sure how old you are, or when you are going to be drawing from your 401k, but given the dramatic run up we have seen since the new year, the amount of margin debt, the low volatility and the seemingly absence of any fear, I would have some hedges in place.

I am almost ashamed to post. I have a 401K/IRA. It is split over 6 "FUNDS". I see a "guy" once twice a year to see if "I" should do anything. I never know anything. I can't move it around. I can't buy individual stocks. I am nothing but an observer. I don't know much about Bonds, but they are boring.

I asked the "guy" if I could have $1000 or so to play with on the site. He said "no". I could pull it out and try I suppose? I had made one attempt in my life. It took me two years to break even on one lousy stock.

I was badly damaged by the Bush/Obama crash. I moved what was left into a very safe target date fund (mostly CASH/BONDS?). This financial adviser has gotten me to move some of it around over the years. I heard him say "dividend fund" at least a few times.

2017 performance overall was a few percent below S&P 500 at 16.27%. Thank you DJT for spurring Growth!

Previous two years were terrible?
0.62%
5.25% ***I think most of this growth was from NOV 08 2016 to end of year.
This is the only years it shows? in detail?

I think it shows since JAN 26, 2010: I have AVG'd 9% overall? Is that any good?

finally: details on these funds require a Google search. Some are 75% US equities, 25% non-US. Some are Bonds-Cash. It is impossible to quantify exactly what I have. too painful.

I am at the mercy of some Wall St. Physco.....probably best that way. I am pretty good with Math.......but I don't know the Financial World. Hope I am not holding too much BitCoin?

Last edited:

I am almost ashamed to post. I have a 401K/IRA. It is split over 6 "FUNDS". I see a "guy" once twice a year to see if "I" should do anything. I never know anything. I can't move it around. I can't buy individual stocks. I am nothing but an observer. I don't know much about Bonds, but they are boring.

I asked the "guy" if I could have $1000 or so to play with on the site. He said "no". I could pull it out and try I suppose? I had made one attempt in my life. It took me two years to break even on one lousy stock.

I was badly damaged by the Bush/Obama crash. I moved what was left into a very safe target date fund (mostly CASH/BONDS?). This financial adviser has gotten me to move some of it around over the years. I heard him say "dividend fund" at least a few times.

2017 performance overall was a few percent below S&P 500 at 16.27%. Thank you DJT for spurring Growth!

Previous two years were terrible?
0.62%
5.25% ***I think most of this growth was from NOV 08 2016 to end of year.
This is the only years it shows? in detail?

I think it shows since JAN 26, 2010: I have AVG'd 9% overall? Is that any good?

finally: details on these funds require a Google search. Some are 75% US equities, 25% non-US. Some are Bonds-Cash. It is impossible to quantify exactly what I have. too painful.

I am at the mercy of some Wall St. Physco.....probably best that way. I am pretty good with Math.......but I don't know the Financial World. Hope I am not holding too much BitCoin?
I don't mean to pry, and totally understand if you don't want to go into it but what happened in the Bush/Obama crash exactly? Did this same financial advisor pull you out of equities at that time or were you more in control of your investments prior to 2008? Also If you've been averaging 9% since 2010 that is quite a bit behind the rebound in the markets since the bottom in 09. ESPECIALLY IF your 401K mix has contained 75% US equities! Put another way, instead of split across 6 funds, possibly paying for a lot of turnover, management fees etc you could (that terrible word) have had it all in an S&P index fund (designed to track the S&P 500) and you would be way ahead.

DRIP investments are incredible for kids if you are in a position to open one for them or give them some guidance if they are adult age. The compounding effect of reinvesting dividends quarter after quarter, year after year plus the stock price appreciation is very difficult to beat.

No No No..you are not prying. edit: I seem to have lost a lot of this post? Before 2010 I was on my own forever. I then ended up in an IRA with Financial Adviser.

2015-2016 also sucked for the S&P? I made almost nothing, up to the Orange Charlatan in Nov 2016.

From 2010-2017 the S&P is up 100%. Mine shows up 9% compounded annually? I don't know that that equates to? but more than 63% flat gain.

I was being safe. I was afraid of another crash. Obama/$20T debt etc. I also had another 401K rollover into this in 2016, this is a mess? to figure out ......... ? the bottom line.

S&P sits at 2743 today....... from 1282 in "2010" or ~2X
My account is 1.89X up over this time....but Withdrawals and Rollovers? Again.....what a mess. I can only see a few years back in the summary page. other than that is is a chart.

upload_2018-1-7_11-27-6.png

The years before 2008.........etc. I was stupid and simply let it sit thru the crash.......thinking each day....this must be the bottom.

I know, I know...now? too much in Bonds or whatever. Hindsight. I have to post this......I seem to have lost some of it?

Fees? At one time I think I saw $40/quarter to the Managers. I don't know about the fees into each of the six funds? I will look. I don't see any "fees" in 2016?
When I was on my own I used to try to pick the cheapest Funds?

Last edited:
upload_2018-1-7_12-7-20.png

Adjust for Inflation? WTH?

upload_2018-1-7_12-8-43.png

I know so little? This is why Obama ordered Financial Advisers into your IRA in 2010 or so?

I calculate ~11.9% avg annual S&P 500 gain since
start of 2010 thru 2017. correct?

upload_2018-1-7_12-18-50.png

So.......I am ~2%/year behind the curve? compounded.
Easy to say now. What if it had crashed? And mine did not lose as much?

That makes me feel a little bit better..........but I know.
No risk....no reward. No Nuts.......no blue chips.

Last edited:

View attachment 170338

Your doing fine dude, I was comparing the total gain of the S & P from the bottom in 2009 which is around 160% but who buys at the bottom right? I was just poking a bit at your advisor having you across 6 funds. It might be worth just asking him in a polite way "Say you know it's hard for me to see what I'm paying in fees can you help me understand that? And "would it be simpler and cheaper if I could consolidate down to maybe 3 funds instead of 6?" But yeah you're fine. Heck there are millions of people who bailed in 2008 and 09 and have been in cash and bonds ever since.

View attachment 170338

Your doing fine dude, I was comparing the total gain of the S & P from the bottom in 2009 which is around 160% but who buys at the bottom right? I was just poking a bit at your advisor having you across 6 funds. It might be worth just asking him in a polite way "Say you know it's hard for me to see what I'm paying in fees can you help me understand that? And "would it be simpler and cheaper if I could consolidate down to maybe 3 funds instead of 6?" But yeah you're fine. Heck there are millions of people who bailed in 2008 and 09 and have been in cash and bonds ever since.

Finally........My posts are not clear. I got out of control. A lot of posting seems lost?

After losing "half" in the crash, I managed to make some back in 2009 from bottom before going to the IRA in 2010 JAN. But from today-then (2743/865 = 3.17). I am not up 3X from what I had before the crash. I am sure of that? Closer to ~2X? I could dig out old paper maybe but it is what it is right now.

I don't quite remember all of that time as I was in/out/looking desperately for work....during those days.

View attachment 170338

Finally........My posts are not clear. I got out of control. A lot of posting seems lost?

After losing "half" in the crash, I managed to make some back in 2009 from bottom before going to the IRA in 2010 JAN. But from today-then (2743/865 = 3.17). I am not up 3X from what I had before the crash. I am sure of that? Closer to ~2X? I could dig out old paper maybe but it is what it is right now.

I don't quite remember all of that time as I was in/out/looking desperately for work....during those days.
I'm in the same boat....lost half or more in the crash, I left it in the stock market though and did make some gains on what I had left in there, but unlike others who were still working and having new additional money each week go in to their 401k, since I had decided to be a home maker around that time and not work anymore, I had no new money withdrawn from my paycheck going in that would have made up for the losses by getting the huge gains the market made....

So sad, too bad...for me...I guess....

As an example of percentages with gains and losses...

Lets say you have 100 bucks saved and lost 50% of it, a 50% decrease in your funds, that leaves you with $50...

Now take that $50 bucks and have a 50% increase, and that comes to $75...not the $100....

You would need a 100% increase on your $50 to bring you back to a break even with what you had before your initial loss....

A 300% increase on your $50 bucks you were left with after the crash would be $150....which would only be a 50% increase on your initial $100 that you had in there before the crash.

I took about 25% of my 401K and pushed it into an overseas fund late last year that has been doing well. Is anyone thinking along the same lines, that being foreign stocks and markets will outperform the US markets this year?

At age 42 all i do is keep 5% in bonds, rest is stocks and mostly US stocks, with about 12% in a Euro/Pacific Fund.

Still young enough that a market dip/crash would actually be helpful as I could get more shares for less $$ every pay period.

Not going to change anything till I'm around 50.

At age 42 all i do is keep 5% in bonds, rest is stocks and mostly US stocks, with about 12% in a Euro/Pacific Fund.

Still young enough that a market dip/crash would actually be helpful as I could get more shares for less $$ every pay period.

I've made plenty of mistakes in my investing over the years but the best thing I ever did was bite my lip and ride out the last crash without selling anything and continuing to "buy" through dividend reinvestments. If you can stomach it, you will never get shares cheaper than when there is blood in the streets.

I've made plenty of mistakes in my investing over the years but the best thing I ever did was bite my lip and ride out the last crash without selling anything and continuing to "buy" through dividend reinvestments. If you can stomach it, you will never get shares cheaper than when there is blood in the streets.

yep, i don;t plan on moving funds to safer options until I'm in my 50's, and then only when the market is up.

And IF you were 50 when the stock market crashed and you lost 50% of your entire lifetime 401k savings, what would you do? What would be the best thing you could do?

Forum List

Back