The Dow Dogs are the most Famous and Dependable System there is.

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
So why is it used so rarely? While used for more than a century, maybe many centuries. It is called the Dow Dogs because the Dow index is the oldest continuously published stock index left standing. But it works on all stock samples that have at least 30 members

The system is simple stay out of the market either May Day through Halloween or the high holy days of the OT the festival of Trumpets through Yom Kippur this increases your odds of not getting caught in a huge bear market. The rest of the time stay fully invested.

What you stay invested in depends on what two screens you use to determine undervaluation. invest in the second, third, fifth or sometimes eighth most undervalued issues and this system beats index funds and other inventions of portfolio theory.

So why is this system ignored? please give your answers and why, TY

The DOTD strategy is caught between the two investment camps of 'just buy the indexes' and being a stock picker. It is also not sexy so it isn't the thing that the talking heads like to chat up on the stock analyst shows. I think I remember Cramer doing a show on the Dow Dogs, but not much else.

The DOTD strategy is caught between the two investment camps of 'just buy the indexes' and being a stock picker. It is also not sexy so it isn't the thing that the talking heads like to chat up on the stock analyst shows. I think I remember Cramer doing a show on the Dow Dogs, but not much else.

True. intelligent investing is boring but effective. Something like a minimum of 10% of all money in the capital markets is there just for bragging rights or so it is claimed. Let's face it I couldn't make money writing puts or you working your DRIP portfolios unless there was and is a lot of stupid speculation going on. I wrote this thread simply to make sure I'm warning people to avoid stupid moves even though I don't think anyone will pay attention.

Forum List

Back