CDZ Is anybody there? "Strong signal" stirs interest in hunt for alien life

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
It may not be we who are the hunters for alien life. Seems that scientists last year discovered a signal of some sort coming from a star/planet some 94 light years distant.

It seems to me that a narrow-beam signal arriving here and sent by intelligent aliens means they think someone is here to receive the signal, interpret its meaning and possibly respond. It could even mean they figured out we are here some time ago, sent a signal and some vessels at the same time so that by the time we do respond, their ships are in comparatively close proximity so our reply need not have to travel 94 light years for them to know of our response. If the latter is the case, let's hope they are altruistic rather than militaristic.

And now for the $1M question: so what?
  • If we discover we are not alone in the universe:
    • Does it mean we need to "get our act together" as a planet rather than as a collection of disparate and feuding nations on the only planet known to hold intelligent life? I'd sure welcome this outcome's arrival....As that goes, now would not be too soon. It's just a shame that it will have taken life from elsewhere to catalyze our doing it.
    • Does it mean theology as it exists now goes the way of the Easter Bunny?

I read this earlier and it piqued my interest. I also am pretty sure we are not alone. The universe is vast. We are like an anthill that thinks its the only one, when 3 doors down, there is another anthill..and 3 doors down...yet another one. Now imagine if the first anthill knew about the anthills in Australia.

It may not be we who are the hunters for alien life. Seems that scientists last year discovered a signal of some sort coming from a star/planet some 94 light years distant.

It seems to me that a narrow-beam signal arriving here and sent by intelligent aliens means they think someone is here to receive the signal, interpret its meaning and possibly respond. It could even mean they figured out we are here some time ago, sent a signal and some vessels at the same time so that by the time we do respond, their ships are in comparatively close proximity so our reply need not have to travel 94 light years for them to know of our response. If the latter is the case, let's hope they are altruistic rather than militaristic.

• Does it mean we need to "get our act together" as a planet rather than as a collection of disparate and feuding nations on the only planet known to hold intelligent life? I'd sure welcome this outcome's arrival....As that goes, now would not be too soon. It's just a shame that it will have taken life from elsewhere to catalyze our doing it.

Stress initiates evolution. Warfare and strife, as terrible as they are, have increased technology, and resulted in the humanist movement, faster than any other reason except the space program. Many people want there to be a one world government. The problem with that is what do you do when the ruler is a tyrant like Stalin?

I read this earlier and it piqued my interest. I also am pretty sure we are not alone. The universe is vast. We are like an anthill that thinks its the only one, when 3 doors down, there is another anthill..and 3 doors down...yet another one. Now imagine if the first anthill knew about the anthills in Australia.

Yeah, well, maybe not.

Stress initiates evolution. Warfare and strife, as terrible as they are, have increased technology, and resulted in the humanist movement, faster than any other reason except the space program. Many people want there to be a one world government. The problem with that is what do you do when the ruler is a tyrant like Stalin?

Well, I wasn't of a mind to advocate for a monarch or dictator as the leader, although I think the world could stand to have a benevolent dictator for a while just to get itself in order prior to shifting to a democracy of some sort -- a democratic republic, federal republic or a parliamentary democracy.

Many people want there to be a one world government. The problem with that is what do you do when the ruler is a tyrant like Stalin?

Never elect a single entity in any governing position.

If you go with the US model, have 5 Presidents, each with a 5 -year term (1 elected per year, initial terms pro-rated), 1 from left, 1 from right, 3 from center.

Many people want there to be a one world government. The problem with that is what do you do when the ruler is a tyrant like Stalin?

Never elect a single entity in any governing position.

If you go with the US model, have 5 Presidents, each with a 5 -year term (1 elected per year, initial terms pro-rated), 1 from left, 1 from right, 3 from center.

Oh, my....Can you imagine trying to legislate with five executives instead of one. I think the underlying sentiment of your idea is noble; I also it an even better recipe for "get nothing accomplished" governance. I'd sooner a king than that.

That's too much confusion. POTUS should be in office maybe 2 years. Maybe 3. And no rerun after that time. 8 years is way too long as we have seen with the one we have now. *shudder*

Same with congress. Shorter terms. No repeats. We need new blood.

About 40 trillion bacteria live in your colon. That number does not 'prove' that some of them must be writing operas.

Well, I wasn't of a mind to advocate for a monarch or dictator as the leader, although I think the world could stand to have a benevolent dictator for a while just to get itself in order prior to shifting to a democracy of some sort -- a democratic republic, federal republic or a parliamentary democracy.

Which, as we all know, eventually gets taken over by corrupt politicians and the cycle repeats itself. That's the nature, and evolution of governments. People are greedy. People in power are even more greedy. They screw things up every time. The only question is how much time do you get before they are able to corrupt the process.

The last thing we need is to bring attention to ourselves before we are ready to meet aliens on an equal footing....it didn't work out for the indians when the Europeans came here.......

Does it mean we need to "get our act together" as a planet rather than as a collection of disparate and feuding nations on the only planet known to hold intelligent life? I'd sure welcome this outcome's arrival....As that goes, now would not be too soon. It's just a shame that it will have taken life from elsewhere to catalyze our doing it.

If we consider "it" to be the alien, foreign, unknown "not-us" form of life, then yes, "they" mean that "we" have to be "all", including "them".

Does it mean theology as it exists now goes the way of the Easter Bunny?

By the same premise of before (if "it" is not all of us) theology requires to be firstly acknowledged by its fundamentals before the "whole we" gets to proceed in any theological way.

The theology behind alien sentient life seems simple to me, they might worship the same monotheistic God, but Jesus Christ became a human being, and the sacrifice of his human body was for the salvation of human beings, and not any other form of sentient life. This would be especially true for Catholics, who believe they eat the Body and Blood of Christ every Sunday at the Mass. Mass would literally make no sense if partaken by anyone who was not human.

Now it would be interesting to learn that an alien species had it's own version of Jesus Christ in their history, who sacrificed his body for THEIR sins, and there is no reason that couldn't be true. But Christianity is a religion for humans only, we should not attempt to persuade aliens to worship our human Savior.

Forum List

Back