IRS to stop mailing income tax forms

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The Internal Revenue Service plans to stop mailing instructions and paper forms for annual income tax returns, saving the agency about $10 million a year as more Americans are filing online.

About 11.5 million people who filed paper tax returns in 2009 received the tax information in the mail, IRS said. The agency normally sends the information at the beginning of the calendar year. The mailing includes the Form 1040 and instructions that totaled 44 pages last year.

Taxpayers who want to file paper returns can still obtain the forms at IRS.gov, local IRS offices or at participating libraries and post offices.

washingtonpost.com

Good idea?

about 11 million use the form, all others use online filing, or a tax service to do their returns.

I think it is a good idea to save money, EXCEPT I think they should mail the forms to the 11 million that actually file by paper and just not to the others who use other means to file.

anything to save some money is good.

about 11 million use the form, all others use online filing, or a tax service to do their returns.

I think it is a good idea to save money, EXCEPT I think they should mail the forms to the 11 million that actually file by paper and just not to the others who use other means to file.

Agreed. And I am sure this is all laid out in the GOP's "Pledge to America", right?

The Internal Revenue Service plans to stop mailing instructions and paper forms for annual income tax returns, saving the agency about $10 million a year as more Americans are filing online.

About 11.5 million people who filed paper tax returns in 2009 received the tax information in the mail, IRS said. The agency normally sends the information at the beginning of the calendar year. The mailing includes the Form 1040 and instructions that totaled 44 pages last year.

Taxpayers who want to file paper returns can still obtain the forms at IRS.gov, local IRS offices or at participating libraries and post offices.

washingtonpost.com

Good idea?

How many people who mail their forms in will not realize that uncle is no longer sending them the forms and that they have to get them themselves . . . . and completely forget about it? For crying out loud, they had to extend the digital conversion four months cause people were too stupid to go get what they needed . . . . er, so they say. :rolleyes:

They'll not only save money on the mailings, they'll make money on fines/penalties for late filers.

We'll go fetch the forms and file by mail. Thanks just the same.

Last edited:

I'm sure....as usual....your local Post Office will have STACKS of (most) filing-forms.​

washingtonpost.com

Good idea?

How many people who mail their forms in will not realize that uncle is no longer sending them the forms and that they have to get them themselves . . . . and completely forget about it? For crying out loud, they had to extend the digital conversion four months cause people were too stupid to go get what they needed . . . . er, so they say. :rolleyes:

They'll not only save money on the mailings, they'll make money on fines/penalties for late filers.

If people aren't responsible enough to remember to file their returns, they deserve penalties. If they don't get the forms in the mail, they should realize that it is THEIR responsibility to act. They shouldn't sit on their ass and wait on the government to let them know it's time to pay taxes. No pity from me for the people who file late because of this.

washingtonpost.com

Good idea?

How many people who mail their forms in will not realize that uncle is no longer sending them the forms and that they have to get them themselves . . . . and completely forget about it?
Any Adult who's filed (in the past), understands all employers are obligated to mailing-out all W2s, no later than January 31.

January 31 should be THE day that the (average) filer makes sure all necessary forms/documents are in-hand.....ready & waiting.​

If people aren't responsible enough to remember to file their returns, they deserve penalties. If they don't get the forms in the mail, they should realize that it is THEIR responsibility to act. They shouldn't sit on their ass and wait on the government to let them know it's time to pay taxes. No pity from me for the people who file late because of this.

1197086068917675051egore_Thumb_Up_.svg.thumb.png

:lol: I agree 100% that it's the person's responsibility to file, not uncle's to remind them, and they should get fined. My point was . . . . uncle is going to make a bundle off of those who 'forget'. Those who are too stupid to make sure their tv is working are too stupid to remember to file. Seems like a win-win for uncle.

i'm sure those 11 million will still be able to get the forms. but more and more it's becoming a waste of money and paper and resources to send them without being requested to do so.

:lol: I agree 100% that it's the person's responsibility to file, not uncle's to remind them, and they should get fined. My point was . . . . uncle is going to make a bundle off of those who 'forget'. Those who are too stupid to make sure their tv is working are too stupid to remember to file. Seems like a win-win for uncle.

It's about time those in government started trying to find ways to cut costs, increase revenues, and stop wasting taxpayers' money. If only they would look for more ways.

Heck, I haven't gotten paper forms in the mail in years...in fact, I'm not sure I ever actually did. The fact is, though, your W-2's get mailed out to you. Getting those *should* be a rather forceful reminder that you need to file your taxes. If you do not have the intelligence to receive your W-2(s) and think, "Oh, I need to go get the forms so I can file"....well, then I think you deserve any fines/fees they assess to you for your failure to file on time.

And for the challenged that don't know how to fill out tax forms, and can't afford to pay someone to help, there are many services that help people do them for free.

There is NO REASON those forms should be mailed anymore.

Good Job Government!

I love TurboTax.

love-smiley-011.gif

I love TurboTax.

love-smiley-011.gif

So does T Geitner :rofl:

Seriously, this is a good thing. Why the government doesn't have an online interface that you can do your taxes directly on rather than use third party software is also beyond me.

You have to save money where you can save money. Our school no longer uses printed report cards. They are online and you're welcome to print out your own if you like.

Ok--I'll be the lone dissenter here. If the son's of bitches in DC have the balls to ask me to pay for some of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of I would think they could at least have the decency to send me a bill.

washingtonpost.com

Good idea?

It's all available online. I haven't had a form mailed to me in years.

Last edited:
I wish I could opt out of mail COMPLETELY. 99% of my mail goes right to the garbage or the shredder. Maybe I could just hook a shredder to the bottom of my mailbox?

Last edited:
Ok--I'll be the lone dissenter here. If the son's of bitches in DC have the balls to ask me to pay for some of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of I would think they could at least have the decency to send me a bill.

Oh, they will send you a bill. No worries.

and as someone who delivers the things i can tell you that many are wasted because they have names of people who moved years ago on them.....and i mean YEARS AGO.....and the same family with the same last name will get one for each person registered instead of just one for every body....they even have ones going to buildings that have been vacant for a few years....

Forum List

Back