Iron Maiden is not in the Rock and Roll HOF

The HOF is totally fucked. I was in Cleveland and had time to stop by there. I asked the guy at the entrance where I could find the Frank Zappa exhibit and he said "Who's Frank Zappa?"

That right there renders the whole HOF a joke.
Let's face it --- Halls of Fame are not legitimate museums, they're tourist traps designed to pick pockets through a vast affirmation-wank of what the aficionado already knows.

Iron Maiden = Unquestionable masters of triplets

Yup.

And hardly a shock that some dumb bitch like Pogo who's never seen a real rock show doesn't understand that. :badgrin:

I go back to... let's see... Cream, Airplane, et al. That's when I was a spectator, before the production daze.
You, punk?
Oh wait, that's right -- you weren't even alive yet. Silly me.

DUMBbuttheadDUMBbuttheadDUMBbuttheadDUMBbuttheadDUMBbuttheadDUMBbutthead
saw Cream in late 68 Pogo.....Spirit opened for them....Spirits bald headed drummer was already 45 years old....when he died in 2012 at the age of 89.....oldest guy in rock.....just a little tidbit for you.....

Cassidy, yup.
I think I saw them (some of that time being a blur) but not opening for Cream -- their opener for that show IIRC was Terry Reid. Which was as underwhelming as it sounds.

The DP song you mention is not the one I mean, it was "Hush". But you are correct, Joe South is the writer. But the ripoff is plain as day; I heard it immediately on first hearing. So Joe South should have been sued, while it's hard to believe DP weren't aware of what they were doing while recording it.

But now that you mention "Exposition" I gave it a listen and isn't this interesting -- it's ripped off directly from Beethoven's 7th Symphony. My dad used to play this on piano all the time -- second movement here (cue 11:45):

-- So it would appear DP were still plagiarists after all. :eusa_eh:

you dont plagiarize unless you are saying you wrote the song .....which they did not do.....or you dont give the true composer credit....they gave credit to the composers .......how did they "plagiarize"?.............

I don't own the album but as far as I could determine from Wiki and such they claim to have written "Exposition" -- even though Beethoven had already written it.

come on Pogo....get your stuff right.....here is the listed writers on the record.....

Beethoven,Ritchie Blackmore,Nick Simper,Jon Lord,Ian Paice
Lennon–McCartney

Well then somebody needs to change the Wiki page.

Yup.

And hardly a shock that some dumb bitch like Pogo who's never seen a real rock show doesn't understand that. :badgrin:

I go back to... let's see... Cream, Airplane, et al. That's when I was a spectator, before the production daze.
You, punk?

saw Cream in late 68 Pogo.....Spirit opened for them....Spirits bald headed drummer was already 45 years old....when he died in 2012 at the age of 89.....oldest guy in rock.....just a little tidbit for you.....

Cassidy, yup.
I think I saw them (some of that time being a blur) but not opening for Cream -- their opener for that show IIRC was Terry Reid. Which was as underwhelming as it sounds.

The DP song you mention is not the one I mean, it was "Hush". But you are correct, Joe South is the writer. But the ripoff is plain as day; I heard it immediately on first hearing. So Joe South should have been sued, while it's hard to believe DP weren't aware of what they were doing while recording it.

But now that you mention "Exposition" I gave it a listen and isn't this interesting -- it's ripped off directly from Beethoven's 7th Symphony. My dad used to play this on piano all the time -- second movement here (cue 11:45):

you dont plagiarize unless you are saying you wrote the song .....which they did not do.....or you dont give the true composer credit....they gave credit to the composers .......how did they "plagiarize"?.............

I don't own the album but as far as I could determine from Wiki and such they claim to have written "Exposition" -- even though Beethoven had already written it.

come on Pogo....get your stuff right.....here is the listed writers on the record.....

Lennon–McCartney

Yup.

You, punk?

Cassidy, yup.

Lennon–McCartney

this is what was on the wiki page that i saw about the song.....

Exposition/We Can Work It Out
I like some Iron Maiden songs, but I don't know if they are Hall of Fame worthy. Out of curiosity, for what reasons do people think they deserve to be in the HOF?
during the 1980's Iron maiden were not only pretty big but they are also influential to those after them....but lets put it this way.....they have contributed more to Rock than Grand master Flash or Madonna......but they should not go in before Deep Purple and Judas Priest as far as hard rock goes....

during the 1980's Iron maiden were not only pretty big but they are also influential to those after them....but lets put it this way.....they have contributed more to Rock than Grand master Flash or Madonna......but they should not go in before Deep Purple and Judas Priest as far as hard rock goes....

I think they were okay, but not great, so IMO they really don't belong in the HOF. Of course everyone is going to be angry when a band they really like is overlooked, but not every band can be in the HOF. Of course, Madonna, et al. don't belong in the Rock and Roll HOF either though. I don't think some of the judges know what Rock and Roll is. Lol!

I like some Iron Maiden songs, but I don't know if they are Hall of Fame worthy. Out of curiosity, for what reasons do people think they deserve to be in the HOF?

Maiden are one of the greatest metal bands of all time.

Their Live After Death Tour in 1986 was the most attended on the planet that year.

Their Live After Death Tour in 1986 was the most attended on the planet that year.

Well, I would disagree that they are the greatest. I think there are a lot of metal bands that are better.

You didn't link anything, and we're beating a dead horse but here's what the page I saw said, under the track listing, and still does: (the page is here)

4."(a) Exposition"
"(b) We Can Work It Out" (The Beatles cover)
Blackmore, Simper, Lord, Paice,
John Lennon, Paul McCartney
7:06
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So --- I'm just the messenger.

Personal tastes will always be no more than that but honesty y'all are selling Madonna short. Seriously. Whether it's art or not, the woman knew what she was doing and how to put a good song together -- within the idiom wherein she worked.

DP, JP, IM as far as I'm concerned are nothing more than posers with amplifiers and effects boxes. Not exactly out of reach of what anybody with the same toys can do (hence Mario Mendoza).

But I've never been impressed with techno jiggery-pokery. I'm more looking for the human expression of art. And working with live acts just, pardon the pun, amplified all that -- tractor trailers full of illusions; magicians with guitars and ego trips -- doesn't impress me.

Well, I would disagree that they are the greatest. I think there are a lot of metal bands that are better.

Do you enjoy today's metal? Then you owe a big ol' thank you to Iron Maiden. Over 120 million records sold and counting.

I think they were okay, but not great, so IMO they really don't belong in the HOF. Of course everyone is going to be angry when a band they really like is overlooked, but not every band can be in the HOF. Of course, Madonna, et al. don't belong in the Rock and Roll HOF either though. I don't think some of the judges know what Rock and Roll is. Lol!
here is what the hall says about what it takes to get in.....
To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence. We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction ......

Maiden fits that as far as hard rock goes.....Madonna doesnt....she is very influential as far as dress goes....but musical excellence?.....

its all a matter of what you like aint it?.....i think they and Judas Priest are better than Metallica.....but Metallica is in the Hall......

You didn't link anything, and we're beating a dead horse but here's what the page I saw said, under the track listing, and still does: (the page is here)

4."(a) Exposition"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Personal tastes will always be no more than that but honesty y'all are selling Madonna short. Seriously. Whether it's art or not, the woman knew what she was doing and how to put a good song together -- within the idiom wherein she worked.

DP, JP, IM as far as I'm concerned are nothing more than posers with amplifiers and effects boxes. Not exactly out of reach of what anybody with the same toys can do (hence Mario Mendoza).

But I've never been impressed with techno jiggery-pokery. I'm more looking for the human expression of art. And working with live acts just, pardon the pun, amplified all that -- tractor trailers full of illusions; magicians with guitars and ego trips -- doesn't impress me.
Pogo....that song has been out since 69 and every page i seen about them no one said anything about them ripping off any composer.....all except a fellow named Pogo...and you may not like DP.....but i have seen many a Guitar magazine holding Blackmore in pretty high regard and Keyboard Magazines doing the same with Jon Lord....and lots of 80's musicians naming them as big influences..... i dont care for Michael Jacksons stuff but i will give him a lot of credit for what he did with Music Videos in the 80's......as far as legacy,read this.....from wiki....
Deep Purple are cited as one of the pioneers of hard rock and heavy metal, along withLed ZeppelinandBlack Sabbath.[2][113]The group have influenced a number of rock and metal bands includingMetallica,[114]Queen,[115]Aerosmith,[116]Van Halen,[117]Alice in Chains,[118]Pantera,[119]Bon Jovi,[120]Europe,[121]Rush,[122]Motörhead,[123]and manyNew Wave of British Heavy Metalbands such asIron Maiden,[124]Judas Priest,[125]andDef Leppard.[126]Iron Maiden's bassist and primary songwriter,Steve Harris, states that his band's "heaviness" was inspired by "Black Sabbath and Deep Purple with a bit of Zeppelin thrown in."[127]

In 1971, there were only three bands that mattered, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple

— Def Leppard vocalistJoe Elliot.[3]
In 2000, Deep Purple were ranked number 22 onVH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock" programme.[128]In 2011, they received the Innovator Award at the 2011Classic RockAwards in London.[17]ARolling Stonereaders' poll in 2012 rankedMade in Japanthe sixth best live album of all time.[54]As part of the 40th anniversary celebrations ofMachine Head(1972),Re-Machined: A Tribute to Deep Purple's Machine Headwas released on 25 September 2012.[129]This tribute album features artists such asIron Maiden,Metallica,Steve Vai,Carlos Santana,Chickenfootconsisting of formerVan HalenmembersSammy HagarandMichael Anthony, guitaristJoe SatrianiandChad SmithofRed Hot Chili Peppers,The Flaming Lips,Black Label Society,Papa RoachvocalistJacoby Shaddix, and the supergroup Kings of Chaos featuringDef Leppardvocalist Joe Elliott,Steve Stevens, and formerGuns N' RosesmembersDuff McKaganandMatt Sorum.[129]

Prior to October 2012, Deep Purple had not been nominated for induction into theRock and Roll Hall of Fame(as they've been eligible since 1993), but were nominated for induction in 2012 and 2013.[130][131]Despite ranking 2nd in the public's vote on the Rock Hall fans’ ballot, which had over half a million votes, they were not inducted by the Rock Hall committee.[132]KissbassistGene Simmonsand Rush bassistGeddy Leecommented that Deep Purple should obviously be among the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees.[133][134]There have been criticisms in the past over Deep Purple not having been inducted.TotoguitaristSteve Lukathercommented, "they putPatti Smithin there but not Deep Purple? What's the first song every kid learns how to play? ["Smoke On The Water"]...And they're not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? ...the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has lost its cool because of the glaring omissions."[135]FormerGuns N' RosesguitaristSlashexpressed his surprise and disagreement for the non-induction of Deep Purple; "The list of people who haven’t even been nominated is mind-boggling..(the) big one for me is Deep Purple. How could you not induct Deep Purple?".[136][137]When asked what band he'd like to see inducted into the Rock Hall, Metallica drummerLars Ulrichalso singled out Deep Purple.[138]Metallica guitaristKirk Hammettcommented: "I've been lobbying for Deep Purple for a long, long time. If Black Sabbath can be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, Deep Purple definitely belongs in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. 'Cause they had great songs, great musicianship, they had an impact, and they're a huge influence on the heavy metal community as a whole. So I definitely think that they belong in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame."[139]In response to these, a Hall of Fame chief executive said, "The definition of ‘rock and roll’ means different things to different people, but as broad as the classifications may be, they all share a common love of the music."[133]Deep Purple vocalist Ian Gillan also commented, "To us, with the greatest respect, it doesn't mean a lot although it's rather like an award in the U.K., if I were to get one. I probably wouldn't accept it. But then again, after a week of thinking about it, I would accept it because it would be on behalf of the family and friends and everyone who supports the band and who's looked after us after all these years. It's kind of a recognition of everyone. But whether we deserve it, I don't know. I always get embarrassed talking about this stuff."[139]On October 16, 2013 Deep Purple were again announced as nominees for inclusion to the Hall.[18]Once again, they received the second highest fan votes but were yet again shunned by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

and who in the hell is Mario Mendoza?....

4."(a) Exposition"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Pogo....that song has been out since 69 and every page i seen about them no one said anything about them ripping off any composer.....all except a fellow named Pogo...and you may not like DP.....but i have seen many a Guitar magazine holding Blackmore in pretty high regard and Keyboard Magazines doing the same with Jon Lord....and lots of 80's musicians naming them as big influences..... i dont care for Michael Jacksons stuff but i will give him a lot of credit for what he did with Music Videos in the 80's......as far as legacy,read this.....from wiki....
[snip]
and who in the hell is Mario Mendoza?....

None of that is the point Harry -- not having nor being familiar with the album I went to Wiki to find composer credits and that's what the page said, and still does. As I said I am only the messenger.

As we said these are all matters of personal taste; DP never impressed me but your mileage may vary.

Mario Mendoza is the source for the phrase "the Mendoza Line", that being the level of competence that is just barely enough to be in the big leagues (he was a shortstop). If you're below the Mendoza Line, you don't belong on stage. If you're at the Mendoza Line, you're teetering on the edge. :)

here is what the hall says about what it takes to get in.....
To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence. We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction ......

Maiden fits that as far as hard rock goes.....Madonna doesnt....she is very influential as far as dress goes....but musical excellence?.....

I have no interest whatsoever in "dress" or what she does with it, but strictly from a musical standpoint, I know it'll be unpopular but, yeah I for one respect what she put together. We could spend all night listing worse.

And knowing both, I repeat -- Pete Rose had WAY more hits. And one might add, way more productive ones.

Too bad he is a degenerate gambler who bet on baseball - THE Cardinal Sin of the sport.

I agree. Are they more worthy than Def Leppard? Bon Jovi? Motley Crue? Scorpions?

I would put Judas Priest in before any of those bands, or Iron Maiden.

I agree. Are they more worthy than Def Leppard? Bon Jovi? Motley Crue? Scorpions?

I would put Judas Priest in before any of those bands, or Iron Maiden.

Ronnie James Dio? I don't think he's in there either.

Forum List

Back