Insights on Christian conversions

godsandmen

Oct 20, 2017
This is not an original post. It is a repost from a now discontinued blog called "Common Sense Atheism". I'm posting it because I find it very true, and I thought I'd see what your thoughts might be.

People, generally speaking, convert to Christianity due primarily to one of the following three factors (or some combination thereof)...

1) a Christian home
2) a personal crisis (emotional, financial, physical...)
3) the influence of a friend and/or family member

I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule (aren't there always?) but it's crucial to keep in mind that exceptions don't disprove the rule (that's why we call them exceptions). Having said that, I've actually found it surprisingly difficult to think of viable exceptions to the above three scenarios (even when I'm trying to do so). Reflect on your own conversion experience for a moment...does one or more of these areas apply, as the primary factor leading to your conversion? How about the conversions of your family & friends? I'm willing to bet that nearly all of them will be a perfect fit with only, at best, the occasional exception.

Initially, I wondered if someone like William Lane Craig might serve to be an exception. After all, Craig is arguably Christianity's #1 living defense lawyer. Surely he, if anyone, must have accepted Christianity for purely rational reasons. Not so. Actually, the way Craig tells it, he was on his way to becoming a "very alienated young man", filled with "hate" and "inner anger", the kind that "eats away at your insides", "making every day miserable" etc. While in high school he ran into a girl, named Sandy, who had a happiness about her that he didn't have at that time in his life. After finding out she was a born again Christian, Craig read the New Testament and became captivated by the "ring of truth" to Jesus' teachings (yes, he actually used the phrase "ring of truth"). It sure sounds to me like the main influences, in his conversion, were personal crisis (my second point) and the influence of friends (my third point). I would encourage you to watch Craig's testimony, in his own words, right here.

Here again, you might be tempted to ask, what's my point?

Well, take note of what's missing here. If my basic theory is correct, then consideration of the evidence is not one of the primary factors which leads to (the lion's share of) Christian conversions. In other words, the majority of Christians embrace Christianity, initially, for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with its truth claims.

Later on, some Christians do seek out rational reasons, to stay with Christianity, but in doing so most still don't stop to truly consider the potential implications of the fact that they initially embraced it for really bad reasons. And, of course, the longer one holds to a belief (whatever it is) the more difficult it becomes to change. Our own brains work against us, in this respect, falling victim to various sorts of bad thinking; ie, the sunk cost fallacy (the more you invest in something the harder it becomes to abandon it).

Now, a Christian might be tempted to say, as a defensive measure, that the same three factors apply to de-conversions; ie. those who, like me, move away from Christianity to some manner of disbelief. They might be tempted to say this, but I genuinely think they would be mistaken. Actually, as best as I can tell, the majority of de-conversions are solo (in fact, often deeply private) experiences that are spurred on, at root, by intellectual doubts. Usually these people are moving away from how they were raised (in contrast to the first point), typically their lives are going reasonably well (in contrast to the second point), and they are more often than not turning against everything that their family & friends still believe (in contrast to the third point). Are there exceptions? Of course there are. But the more I read de-conversion stories, the more I realize that they differ markedly from conversion stories; and usually in ways that are quite similar to the ones I've just mentioned.

Of course, it would be fallacious to immediately disregard something, simply because of the manner in which it was first embraced (that doesn't necessarily mean it's false). Even still, I now see that there are "good" reasons, and there are "bad" reasons, to both accept and reject beliefs. Not all reasons were created equal, and recognizing this is key.

Dear godsandmen
I find that the key factor is understanding FORGIVENESS.

When you run into an issue you cannot forgive,
that is where the power of forgiveness can influence change in others.

Yes, this comes from "influence of family and friends"
because we learn the transforming power of forgiveness
from examples and relationships with others around us.
We learn from experience, and how it restores relations harmed by conflicts,
wrongdoing, or setbacks where "forgiveness" helps recover from problems in life.

And this is also why "crises" often precede spiritual transformation.
When we learn that negative things repeat if past issues or conflicts
are not forgiven corrected and resolved,
so when this causes more problems, we eventually learn
how it helps to forgive to break the cycle of abuse, suffering and retribution.

The message in Christianity is the more we forgive
the more we receive. More understanding of truth that sets
us free from stress, suffering and strife. More understanding
of justice and how things work out, to teach us from the past
so we can better ourselves and society in the future. and More peace,
the more stability and security we have, even in the middle of going
through these transitions from the causes of suffering in the past
to the solutions in the future. The more we can forgive problems, the
more we can understand how to correct and prevent them,
and how to work with our resources and relationships in life most effectively.

So it makes sense why we would seek and get answers to
grow in understanding from
our friends and family, and crises in life.
That is where we learn why it's so important to forgive first,
so we can think and see clearly to understand and take
steps to solve our problems in life.

Why do people spend so much more time talking about stuff like then other then curing cancer or exploring the universe?

There is a very finite subset of human beings who can cure cancer or explore the universe.

If you believe yourself to be in that subset the why are you here talking?

Why do people spend so much more time talking about stuff like then other then curing cancer or exploring the universe?
Because many le peop

Become this is the USA, where magical thinking supersedes rationality. Baby steps.

Well ScienceRocks
Two of the people I know with the most knowledge and experience
in cost effective ways of treating and curing cancer
ARE Christian believers who use knowledge of natural laws,
healing and medicine combined. One researches "smart sugars"
to accelerate the recovery and regeneration of cells damaged by disease
and deterioration including cancer and chemotherapy. The other has helped
cancer patients and their families at MD Cancer center by applying spiritual
healing to remove barriers to healing and facilitate recovery from cancer.

ScienceRocks you ask why so many people talk about this?

Well why do so many people reject Christianity instead of
study the life saving cases of spiritual healing in curing people of
* cancer
* diabetes
* rheumatoid arthritis
* liver or kidney disease and organ failure
* schizophrenia
* suicidal depression
* homicidal obsession
* brain tumors
etc. etc.

What I have found SR is that people are blocked from this information
because of misperceptions and conflicts over Christianity they haven't
forgiven and resolved yet, so there isn't a clear understanding and connection.
Especially between people of Christian faith and culture
with people who are secular nontheists, atheists, Buddhists, agnostics etc.

So we aren't sharing medical research either.
Our knowledge is fractured and segregated
because groups are divided politically, too busy blaming and rejecting
each other to work together to SOLVE problems you brought up!

We COULD be curing cancer for FREE, but we are too busy blaming left
and right, Christian conservatives vs. liberal secularists.

We COULD be collaborating on cleaning up pollution to save oceans and forests,
but we are too busy fighting and blaming each other over "global warming".

The first step ScienceRocks is to even TALK about
our differences between people of these different groups.

If we can get over the namecalling and projected blame, back and forth,
we might start sharing information and solutions across "enemy lines"
and actually HEAR and AGREE what is the truth behind the mutual barriers.

So that's why people TALK about religious and politics,
to start breaking down these barriers and get to the solutions that each group
has been developing respectively. So we CAN put this knowledge together.

This is not an original post. It is a repost from a now discontinued blog called "Common Sense Atheism". I'm posting it because I find it very true, and I thought I'd see what your thoughts might be.

People, generally speaking, convert to Christianity due primarily to one of the following three factors (or some combination thereof)...

1) a Christian home
2) a personal crisis (emotional, financial, physical...)
3) the influence of a friend and/or family member

I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule (aren't there always?) but it's crucial to keep in mind that exceptions don't disprove the rule (that's why we call them exceptions). Having said that, I've actually found it surprisingly difficult to think of viable exceptions to the above three scenarios (even when I'm trying to do so). Reflect on your own conversion experience for a moment...does one or more of these areas apply, as the primary factor leading to your conversion? How about the conversions of your family & friends? I'm willing to bet that nearly all of them will be a perfect fit with only, at best, the occasional exception.

Initially, I wondered if someone like William Lane Craig might serve to be an exception. After all, Craig is arguably Christianity's #1 living defense lawyer. Surely he, if anyone, must have accepted Christianity for purely rational reasons. Not so. Actually, the way Craig tells it, he was on his way to becoming a "very alienated young man", filled with "hate" and "inner anger", the kind that "eats away at your insides", "making every day miserable" etc. While in high school he ran into a girl, named Sandy, who had a happiness about her that he didn't have at that time in his life. After finding out she was a born again Christian, Craig read the New Testament and became captivated by the "ring of truth" to Jesus' teachings (yes, he actually used the phrase "ring of truth"). It sure sounds to me like the main influences, in his conversion, were personal crisis (my second point) and the influence of friends (my third point). I would encourage you to watch Craig's testimony, in his own words, right here.

Here again, you might be tempted to ask, what's my point?

Well, take note of what's missing here. If my basic theory is correct, then consideration of the evidence is not one of the primary factors which leads to (the lion's share of) Christian conversions. In other words, the majority of Christians embrace Christianity, initially, for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with its truth claims.

Later on, some Christians do seek out rational reasons, to stay with Christianity, but in doing so most still don't stop to truly consider the potential implications of the fact that they initially embraced it for really bad reasons. And, of course, the longer one holds to a belief (whatever it is) the more difficult it becomes to change. Our own brains work against us, in this respect, falling victim to various sorts of bad thinking; ie, the sunk cost fallacy (the more you invest in something the harder it becomes to abandon it).

Now, a Christian might be tempted to say, as a defensive measure, that the same three factors apply to de-conversions; ie. those who, like me, move away from Christianity to some manner of disbelief. They might be tempted to say this, but I genuinely think they would be mistaken. Actually, as best as I can tell, the majority of de-conversions are solo (in fact, often deeply private) experiences that are spurred on, at root, by intellectual doubts. Usually these people are moving away from how they were raised (in contrast to the first point), typically their lives are going reasonably well (in contrast to the second point), and they are more often than not turning against everything that their family & friends still believe (in contrast to the third point). Are there exceptions? Of course there are. But the more I read de-conversion stories, the more I realize that they differ markedly from conversion stories; and usually in ways that are quite similar to the ones I've just mentioned.

Of course, it would be fallacious to immediately disregard something, simply because of the manner in which it was first embraced (that doesn't necessarily mean it's false). Even still, I now see that there are "good" reasons, and there are "bad" reasons, to both accept and reject beliefs. Not all reasons were created equal, and recognizing this is key.
Sheeple will always need a shepherd.

Forum List

Back