Initial reports in from The Leader from Behind

Discussion in 'Politics' started by deltex1, Jan 17, 2013.

1. deltex1

deltex1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,579
  2. deltex1

deltex1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,579
    Obama, Clinton Silent on Hostage Crisis
    9:51 AM, JAN 17, 2013 • BY DANIEL HALPER Single PagePrintLarger TextSmaller TextAlerts
    At least two American hostages are being held hostage at a gas plant in Algeria, but there's been no word on unfolding the situation from either President Barack Obama or Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

In fact, the only official word to come from the Obama administration is confirmation from the State Department that indeed Americans are being held hostage there.

"[W]e condemn in strongest terms the terrorist attack on British Petroleum personnel and facilities at In Amenas, Algeria earlier today. We are obviously closely monitoring the situation. We’re in contact with Algerian authorities and our diplomatic counterparts in Algiers, as well as with BP’s security office in London," said State Department spokesman Victoria Nuland in response to a reporter's question yesterday.

"The best information that we have at this time is that U.S. citizens are among the hostages. I hope you will understand that in order to protect their safety, I’m not going to get into numbers, I’m not going to get into names, I’m not going to get into any further details as we continue to work on this issue with the Algerian authorities and also with their employers."

Nuland did say that Clinton is aware of the situation and taking action. "Let me also say that the Secretary has spoken to our Ambassador in Algiers, Ambassador Ensher today. And as I was coming down here, she was on the phone with Algerian Prime Minister Sellal," said Nuland.

Yet the White House has been silent. And President Obama has not indicated he has plans to address the public on exactly what is happening. Same for Clinton, who has yet to make a public statement on the situation.

3. deltex1

deltex1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,579
    Benghazi redux.

4. TNHarley

TNHarley Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,625
    Another fuck-up?

5. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Well, these terrorists got away with Benghazi, they know obama is on their side in this too.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,873
    Aka the One-eyed Man...
    :confused:
    'Mr Marlboro': The veteran jihadist behind the attack in Algeria
    January 17th, 2013 - The terrorist attack on a natural gas installation at In Amenas in eastern Algeria may be an isolated act of revenge for the French intervention in Mali - or an ominous portent of things to come in North Africa, where Islamist militancy is gaining traction fast.
    See also:

Clinton orders review of American interests in Algeria and region
    January 17th, 2013 - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has asked her staff to review security for American diplomats, businesses and citizens in the entire Maghreb and North Africa region, in response to the hostage-taking in Algeria, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said Thursday.

7. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    rw scum. British Petroleum screws up and you blame the president?

WTF is WRONG with you assholes?

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    British Petroleum does not exist anymore.