Infrastructure - NOW!

Why do we States? Seriously. Why? Is there ANYTHING that they're responsible for or is it all up to the Federal Gubbamint?

Republicans took that money and threw it away in the Iraq and Afghanistan.

wasn't it awful.....i am sure glad the dems in congress all voted not to send any money and fillibustered that move and then once they got voted in and held a super majority voted to only spend money on us citizens and infrastructure......
I'm interested in knowing how money made its way from the highway trust fund into the DoD budget.

It is the responsibility of the state governments that build the things to maintain them to a safe standard. To much of what goes on in state capitals is maintenance budgets are less important than interest group studies at local community colleges.

Here in Portland we have renamed several city streets over the last several years after liberal icons. this costs lots of money in new signage and the like. But the city council can't be bothered with the pot hole issue in the streets they re name.

You mean like Ronald Reagan Blvd, and Eisenhower High?

Don't like any kind of silliness, no matter who benefits. Stupid is irrespective of party.

minneapolis_bridge_collapse.jpg

schoolbusAP0208_468x307.jpg

bridge-school-bus-truck-00938pxy.jpg

bridge_photo_3.jpg

cnv00027.jpg

bridge1_web.jpg

bridge2_web.jpg

2585_dailyd_small.jpg

Maps of Structurally Deficient Bridges on the National Highway System
BTS | Maps of Structurally Deficient Bridges on the National Highway System

Is that supposed to be some kind of evidence of the success of gubmint being in charge of roads and bridges?

They were built under Democratic Administrations. Republcians refuse to maintain them. They can make more money starting wars and then charging pet companies to supply those wars.

Contrary To Veep's Claims, Researchers Say Financial Links Remain

Cheney's Halliburton Ties Remain - CBS News

Senator Frank R. Lautenberg

Vice President Cheney said:

"And since I left Halliburton to become George Bush's vice president, I've severed all my ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interest. I have no financial interest in Halliburton of any kind and haven't had, now, for over three years."
Thursday, September 15, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Senator Frank R. Lautenberg reiterated his call for Vice President Dick Cheney to forfeit his continuing financial interest in the Halliburton Co (HAL), in light of the surging value of Vice President Cheney's Halliburton holdings. Vice President Cheney continues to hold 433,333 Halliburton stock options, now worth $9,214,154.93 (at close yesterday.)

=============

Then there is "Blackwater", a billion dollar company overnight.

==============

CNN.com - Audit: U.S. lost track of $9 billion in Iraq funds - Jan 30, 2005

Audit: U.S. lost track of $9 billion in Iraq funds

===============

Iraq has been a gold mine for Republcians. If they get both houses and the presidency again, expect more. It worked the first time. Spending money on Americans cost too much and "who cares", there's not enough "profit".

Why do we States? Seriously. Why? Is there ANYTHING that they're responsible for or is it all up to the Federal Gubbamint?

uas.jpg

Civil engineers do their part in rebuilding Iraq

Posted 3/2/2006

by Staff Sgt. Kristina Barrett
506th Air Expeditionary Group Public Affairs

3/2/2006 - KIRKUK AIR BASE, Iraq (AFPN) -- Civil engineers wage the war on terrorism by stepping outside the wire and bringing the fight into the streets. They are the only Air Force unit in Iraq who come with armored dump trucks, excavators and concrete, repairing the many craters pitting the roads in Kirkuk and surrounding area.

The primary mission of Detachment 10 of the 732nd Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron is twofold. While road repair goes a long way in rebuilding the damaged infrastructure of the country, and in turn the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people.

060301-F-0000X-002.jpg

060301-F-0000X-001.jpg

uas.jpg

Civil engineers do their part in rebuilding Iraq

Posted 3/2/2006

by Staff Sgt. Kristina Barrett
506th Air Expeditionary Group Public Affairs

3/2/2006 - KIRKUK AIR BASE, Iraq (AFPN) -- Civil engineers wage the war on terrorism by stepping outside the wire and bringing the fight into the streets. They are the only Air Force unit in Iraq who come with armored dump trucks, excavators and concrete, repairing the many craters pitting the roads in Kirkuk and surrounding area.

The primary mission of Detachment 10 of the 732nd Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron is twofold. While road repair goes a long way in rebuilding the damaged infrastructure of the country, and in turn the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people.

060301-F-0000X-002.jpg

060301-F-0000X-001.jpg

Of course Republicans are going to talk about all the rebuilding America is paying for in Iraq. America is a gold mine.

Kuwaiti Company Indicted for Massive Overcharging of United States for Soldiers' Food -- ATLANTA, Nov. 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

AT&T Overcharging Soldiers in Iraq... Because it Can

AT&T Overcharging Soldiers in Iraq... Because it Can - The Consumerist

TOKYO - The timely capture of Saddam Hussein virtually eclipsed, for a while, the embarrassing scandal involving the apparent US$128 million overcharging of US taxpayers by Halliburton, Vice President Dick Cheney's old firm,

Asia Times - Asia's most trusted news source for the Middle East

==================

New York

nyc-slum.jpg

Chicago

081018-groveparc-0b_valerie_jarrett.jpg

North Carolina

abandoned-home.jpg

Detriot

detroit2lc1.jpg

It is the responsibility of the state governments that build the things to maintain them to a safe standard. To much of what goes on in state capitals is maintenance budgets are less important than interest group studies at local community colleges.

Here in Portland we have renamed several city streets over the last several years after liberal icons. this costs lots of money in new signage and the like. But the city council can't be bothered with the pot hole issue in the streets they re name.

You mean pavement deficits?

Dams, bridges, roads, power grid, rail, waterways. Since 2000, every system in America has fallen into disrepair. You have the dam breaking in Hawaii and the packed bridge falling during rush hour in Minnesota. Power outages. 70,000 unsafe bridges nationwide. It's only a matter of time. My advice don't live downstream from a dam.

Republicans say, "So what? It's not our job to rebuild America". I say they are wrong and it's the right thing to do.
Wasn't the stimulus supposed to rebuild our infrastructure and provide shovel-ready jobs?

One year later, and there is no new infrastructure, and no new jobs. Imagine that!

Dams, bridges, roads, power grid, rail, waterways. Since 2000, every system in America has fallen into disrepair. You have the dam breaking in Hawaii and the packed bridge falling during rush hour in Minnesota. Power outages. 70,000 unsafe bridges nationwide. It's only a matter of time. My advice don't live downstream from a dam.

Republicans say, "So what? It's not our job to rebuild America". I say they are wrong and it's the right thing to do.
Wasn't the stimulus supposed to rebuild our infrastructure and provide shovel-ready jobs?

One year later, and there is no new infrastructure, and no new jobs. Imagine that!

And most of that money hasn't been spent. but you knew that.

Scott Brown will vote against any jobs bill which would help the people who elected him. They will be surprised, but you won't.

I just don't understand how Republicans can throw money into Iraq instead of using it here? Iraqi's aren't our friends. They hate us. They want us dead.

Their Christian population was est. to be 1.4 MILLION and now the est. is 0.4 MILLION. That million missing Christians was a declaration telling us what they think of us. Beside they made "Islam" the national religion and their Republican supported constitution says all laws are based on Islam and they have the "public option" (article 32) for health care which was put in with the support of American Republicans.

There is no American Appreciation Day. They threw shoes, one of the worst insults in Islam, at our president. Imagine if they had connected. You would see pictures of that everywhere. And the guy who threw the shoes became a "national hero". They spit on us, Republicans shit on us and are still doing it.

And before you go saying, "But Obama is president", it was Bush and the Republicans who signed "deals" and "treaties". The current president can't just "void" what the previous one did. For better or worse, mostly worse, we are stuck with the Bush and Republican deals.

Go ahead, say everything I wrote is "stupid", but you know that every word is the literal truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Brown will vote against any jobs bill which would help the people who elected him. They will be surprised, but you won't.

I just don't understand how Republicans can throw money into Iraq instead of using it here? Iraqi's aren't our friends. They hate us. They want us dead.

Their Christian population was est. to be 1.4 MILLION and now the est. is 0.4 MILLION. That million missing Christians was a declaration telling us what they think of us. Beside they made "Islam" the national religion and their Republican supported constitution says all laws are based on Islam and they have the "public option" (article 32) for health care which was put in with the support of American Republicans.

There is no American Appreciation Day. They threw shoes, one of the worst insults in Islam, at our president. Imagine if they had connected. You would see pictures of that everywhere. And the guy who threw the shoes became a "national hero". They spit on us, Republicans shit on us and are still doing it.

And before you go saying, "But Obama is president", it was Bush and the Republicans who signed "deals" and "treaties". The current president can't just "void" what the previous one did. For better or worse, mostly worse, we are stuck with the Bush and Republican deals.

Go ahead, say everything I wrote is "stupid", but you know that every word is the liberal truth.

fixed that for ya guy....

Go ahead, say everything I wrote is "stupid", but you know that every word is the literal truth.

fixed that for ya guy....

You don't have the right to change my quotes.

Notice you couldn't find anything to disagree with. Hand me that shoe.

Last edited by a moderator:

And we have a Roosevelt High School, also.

And a whole bunch of streets with Presidents names. Most of which existed prior to those Presidents terms.

Although I have seen no one eager to do a George W. Bush street yet.

And a whole bunch of streets with Presidents names. Most of which existed prior to those Presidents terms.

There's George Bush court, but it's a "dead end".

From what I've read, it seems that Republicans are all for rebuilding Iraq but against rebuilding this country. What's up with that?

Editorial: State dam inspections fall far behind acceptable pace

TCEQ has only seven inspectors to keep track of 7,603 dams.

The Victoria Advocate - Google News Archive Search

Dam inspections in Texas

Old U.S. dams become a multibillion-dollar threat | Homeland Security News Wire

The average age of America’s 80,000 dams is 51 years. More than 2,000 dams near population centers are in need of repair, according to statistics released this month by the Association of State Dam Safety Officials.

There was little state or Federal regulation, particularly of the little dams in small watersheds, until the 1970s, when five major dam failures took hundreds of lives and caused almost $1.5 billion in damage. The Carter administration began to put safeguards in place, but the inspections continue to be carried out at the state level.

The number of high-hazard dams has increased from less than 9,000 in 2001 to more than 10,000 now

http://www.fas.org/irp/crs/RL31556.pdf

Following the September 11, 2001 attacks, President Bush signed new
Executive Orders relating to critical infrastructure protection.
--------The problem here is that Bush only wanted to “protect”, not maintain or rebuild.
I'd love to see that done. BUT....

The eco-whackos prevent the building of bridges like the Highway 36 bridge outside of Stillwater, MN due to consideration of the 'beauty' of the area and the sake of some water fowl.

Dams flood 'protected' wetlands, not going to get them done till you stop the lawsuits and NIMBY freakouts. This is some of the crap that must be ended.

BTW, the bus shown there on the 35W bridge collapse, it's a First Student bus (a competitor of my company's). Had 40 kids on it. Only one injury... the driver. And she was injured BECAUSE she was belted in. Compressed spine. All the kids, thank God were fine. I now drive across that bridge at least once a day in my bus, and consider that every time.

BTW, more than 80% of the school buses in the Twin Cities are privately owned. Our company alone has almost 200 of them, and we're not even the biggest of the 15+ companies in the cities.

Regardless, the transportation infrastructure of this nation is one area I have no problem in government paying private contractors to build for them, and is the responsibility for the Feds and states to maintain as a public good. I do not agree that is the case with rail or air.

Last edited:

Up until last year, I lived right off of Clinton. And there is a Bush Street. It is right between Francis and Rhone, south of Powell.

bushst.png

But the thing is, they are wasting money on all kinds of stupid, rather than taking care of business like they are supposed to. Repaving Foster, no money. Vice cops for 82nd AVE, forget it. Some sleazy pressure group wants to rename 39th for some corrupt labor leader, they can't wait to spend the money.

Dam inspections in Texas

The average age of America’s 80,000 dams is 51 years. More than 2,000 dams near population centers are in need of repair, according to statistics released this month by the Association of State Dam Safety Officials.

There was little state or Federal regulation, particularly of the little dams in small watersheds, until the 1970s, when five major dam failures took hundreds of lives and caused almost $1.5 billion in damage. The Carter administration began to put safeguards in place, but the inspections continue to be carried out at the state level.

The number of high-hazard dams has increased from less than 9,000 in 2001 to more than 10,000 now

--------The problem here is that Bush only wanted to “protect”, not maintain or rebuild.

The eco-whackos prevent the building of bridges like the Highway 36 bridge outside of Stillwater, MN due to consideration of the 'beauty' of the area and the sake of some water fowl.

Dams flood 'protected' wetlands, not going to get them done till you stop the lawsuits and NIMBY freakouts. This is some of the crap that must be ended.

BTW, the bus shown there on the 35W bridge collapse, it's a First Student bus (a competitor of my company's). Had 40 kids on it. Only one injury... the driver. And she was injured BECAUSE she was belted in. Compressed spine. All the kids, thank God were fine. I now drive across that bridge at least once a day in my bus, and consider that every time.

BTW, more than 80% of the school buses in the Twin Cities are privately owned. Our company alone has almost 200 of them, and we're not even the biggest of the 15+ companies in the cities.

Regardless, the transportation infrastructure of this nation is one area I have no problem in government paying private contractors to build for them, and is the responsibility for the Feds and states to maintain as a public good. I do not agree that is the case with rail or air.

And that's where the president and congress should start. On the areas that can be agreed on. I don't cross a bridge without thinking about Minnesota and the number 70,000.

With this "we want him to fail" mentality, it will never happen. But it would be nice.

Dam inspections in Texas

And that's where the president and congress should start. On the areas that can be agreed on. I don't cross a bridge without thinking about Minnesota and the number 70,000.

With this "we want him to fail" mentality, it will never happen. But it would be nice.
Well, if his goal wasn't in line with Mussolini... I'd want him to succeed.

It's all about his goals, policies and visions for this nation.

Congress has had the purse strings wide open for everything but actual infrastructure jobs. Now who is it that has had control in congress again?

Forum List

Back