In Theory Liberals Should Not Be Allowed To Hold Office In America.

Just like Ronald Reagan.

Lowering taxes doesn't violate the constitution, Comrade.

If you had ever read the Constitution (you'd be expelled from the democrats, but that's another thread) you would be able to speak more intelligently on the subject.

Illegal arms deals with Iran and importing cocaine to support an illegal war in Nicaragua doesn't sound very constitutional.

Prove it, punk.
an–Contra affair

en.wikipedia.org

• The Iran–Contra affair, also referred to as Irangate, Contragate or the Iran–Contra scandal, was a political scandal in the United States that occurred during the second term of the Reagan Administration. Senior administration officials secretly facilitated the sale of arms to Iran, the subject of an arms embargo. Some U.S. officials also hoped that the arms sales would secure the release of several hostages and allow U.S. intelligence agencies to fund the Nicaraguan Contras. Under the Boland Amendment, further funding of the Contras by the government had been prohibited by Congress.

Thanks for that.

But Reagan didn't do it.

Yet, he took responsibility for it and he did nothing to impede the indictment of many high ranking officials.

If Obama were to just do as much as Reagan did to fix things afterwards we'd be satisfied.

Aftermath[edit]
Reagan expressed regret regarding the situation during a nationally televised address from the Oval Office on March 4, 1987, and two other speeches;[57]Reagan had not spoken to the American people directly for three months amidst the scandal.[58] President Reagan told the American people the reason why he did not update them on the scandal:

"The reason I haven't spoken to you before now is this: You deserve the truth. And as frustrating as the waiting has been, I felt it was improper to come to you with sketchy reports, or possibly even erroneous statements, which would then have to be corrected, creating even more doubt and confusion. There's been enough of that."[58]

He then took full responsibility for the acts committed:

"First, let me say I take full responsibility for my own actions and for those of my administration. As angry as I may be about activities undertaken without my knowledge, I am still accountable for those activities. As disappointed as I may be in some who served me, I'm still the one who must answer to the American people for this behavior."[58]

Finally, the president stated that his previous assertions that the U.S. did not trade arms for hostages were incorrect:

"A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not. As the Tower board reported, what began as a strategic opening to Iran deteriorated, in its implementation, into trading arms for hostages. This runs counter to my own beliefs, to administration policy, and to the original strategy we had in mind."[58]

To this day Reagan's role in the transactions is not definitively known; it is unclear exactly what Reagan knew and when, and whether the arms sales were motivated by his desire to save the U.S. hostages. Oliver North wrote that "Ronald Reagan knew of and approved a great deal of what went on with both the Iranian initiative and private efforts on behalf of the contras and he received regular, detailed briefings on both...I have no doubt that he was told about the use of residuals for the Contras, and that he approved it. Enthusiastically."[59]Handwritten notes by Defense Secretary Weinberger indicate that the President was aware of potential hostages transfers with Iran, as well as the sale of Hawk and TOW missiles to what he was told were "moderate elements" within Iran.[9]Notes taken on December 7, 1985, by Weinberger record that Reagan said that "he could answer charges of illegality but he couldn't answer charge [sic] that 'big strong President Reagan passed up a chance to free hostages'".[9] The Republican-written "Report of the Congressional Committees Investigating the Iran-Contra Affair" concluded, that

There is some question and dispute about precisely the level at which he chose to follow the operation details. There is no doubt, however, ... [that] the President set the US policy towards Nicaragua, with few if any ambiguities, and then left subordinates more or less free to implement it.[60]

Domestically, the scandal precipitated a drop in President Reagan's popularity as his approval ratings saw "the largest single drop for any U.S. president in history", from 67% to 46% in November 1986, according to a New York Times/CBS News poll.[61] The "Teflon President", as Reagan was nicknamed by critics,[62] survived the scandal, however, and by January 1989 a Gallup poll was "recording a 64% approval rating", the highest ever recorded for a departing President at that time.[63]

Internationally the damage was more severe. Magnus Ranstorp wrote, "U.S. willingness to engage in concessions with Iran and the Hezbollah not only signaled to its adversaries that hostage-taking was an extremely useful instrument in extracting political and financial concessions for the West but also undermined any credibility of U.S. criticism of other states' deviation from the principles of no-negotiation and no concession to terrorists and their demands".[64]

In Iran Mehdi Hashemi, the leaker of the scandal, was executed in 1987, allegedly for activities unrelated to the scandal. Though Hashemi made a full video confession to numerous serious charges, some observers find the coincidence of his leak and the subsequent prosecution highly suspicious.[65]

Indictments[edit]
  • Caspar Weinberger, Secretary of Defense, was indicted on two counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice on June 16, 1992. [66]Weinberger received a pardon from George H. W. Bush on December 24, 1992, before he was tried.[67]
  • William Casey, Head of the CIA. Thought to have conceived the plan, was stricken ill hours before he would testify. Reporter Bob Woodward reported Casey knew of and approved the plan.[68]
  • Robert C. McFarlane, National Security Adviser, convicted of withholding evidence, but after a plea bargain was given only two years of probation. Later pardoned by President George H. W. Bush.[69]
  • Elliott Abrams, Assistant Secretary of State, convicted of withholding evidence, but after a plea bargain was given only two years probation. Later pardoned by President George H. W. Bush.[70]
  • Alan D. Fiers, Chief of the CIA's Central American Task Force, convicted of withholding evidence and sentenced to one year probation. Later pardoned by President George H. W. Bush.
  • Clair George, Chief of Covert Ops-CIA, convicted on two charges of perjury, but pardoned by President George H. W. Bush before sentencing.[71]
  • Oliver North, member of the National Security Council convicted of accepting an illegal gratuity, obstruction of a congressional inquiry, and destruction of documents, but the ruling was overturned since he had been granted immunity.[72]
  • Fawn Hall, Oliver North's secretary, was given immunity from prosecution on charges of conspiracy and destroying documents in exchange for her testimony.[73]
  • Jonathan Scott Royster, Liaison to Oliver North, was given immunity from prosecution on charges of conspiracy and destroying documents in exchange for his testimony.[74]
  • National Security Advisor John Poindexter was convicted of five counts of conspiracy, obstruction of justice, perjury, defrauding the government, and the alteration and destruction of evidence. The Supreme Court upheld a lower court ruling that overturned these convictions.[75]
  • Duane Clarridge. An ex-CIA senior official, he was indicted in November 1991 on seven counts of perjury and false statements relating to a November 1985 shipment to Iran. Pardoned before trial by President George H. W. Bush.[76][77]
  • Richard V. Secord. Ex-major general in the Air Force who organized the Iran arms sales and Contra aid. He pleaded guilty in November 1989 to making false statements to Congress and was sentenced to two years of probation.[78][79]
  • Albert Hakim. A businessman, he pleaded guilty in November 1989 to supplementing the salary of North by buying a $13,800 fence for North with money from "the Enterprise", which was a set of foreign companies Hakim used in Iran-Contra. In addition, Swiss company Lake Resources Inc., used for storing money from arms sales to Iran to give to the Contras, plead guilty to stealing government property.[80] Hakim was given two years of probation and a $5,000 fine, while Lake Resources Inc. was ordered to dissolve.[78][81]
Oliver North and John Poindexter were indicted on multiple charges on March 16, 1988.[82] North, indicted on 16 counts, was found guilty by a jury of three felony counts. The convictions were vacated on appeal on the grounds that North's Fifth Amendment rights may have been violated by the indirect use of his testimony to Congress which had been given under a grant of immunity. In 1990 Poindexter was convicted on several felony counts of conspiracy, lying to Congress,obstruction of justice, and altering and destroying documents pertinent to the investigation. His convictions were also overturned on appeal on similar grounds.Arthur L. Liman served as chief counsel for the Senate during the Iran–Contra Scandal.[83]

The Independent Counsel, Lawrence E. Walsh, chose not to re-try North or Poindexter.[84] In total, several dozen people were investigated by Walsh's office.[85]

Iran Contra affair - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

That you would bother with such an obviously failing argument speaks of your desperation.

:D
wake up dorothy you're having that dream again...

Just like Ronald Reagan.

If you had ever read the Constitution (you'd be expelled from the democrats, but that's another thread) you would be able to speak more intelligently on the subject.

Illegal arms deals with Iran and importing cocaine to support an illegal war in Nicaragua doesn't sound very constitutional.

Prove it, punk.
an–Contra affair

en.wikipedia.org

• The Iran–Contra affair, also referred to as Irangate, Contragate or the Iran–Contra scandal, was a political scandal in the United States that occurred during the second term of the Reagan Administration. Senior administration officials secretly facilitated the sale of arms to Iran, the subject of an arms embargo. Some U.S. officials also hoped that the arms sales would secure the release of several hostages and allow U.S. intelligence agencies to fund the Nicaraguan Contras. Under the Boland Amendment, further funding of the Contras by the government had been prohibited by Congress.

Thanks for that.

But Reagan didn't do it.

Yet, he took responsibility for it and he did nothing to impede the indictment of many high ranking officials.

If Obama were to just do as much as Reagan did to fix things afterwards we'd be satisfied.

Aftermath[edit]
Reagan expressed regret regarding the situation during a nationally televised address from the Oval Office on March 4, 1987, and two other speeches;[57]Reagan had not spoken to the American people directly for three months amidst the scandal.[58] President Reagan told the American people the reason why he did not update them on the scandal:

"The reason I haven't spoken to you before now is this: You deserve the truth. And as frustrating as the waiting has been, I felt it was improper to come to you with sketchy reports, or possibly even erroneous statements, which would then have to be corrected, creating even more doubt and confusion. There's been enough of that."[58]

"First, let me say I take full responsibility for my own actions and for those of my administration. As angry as I may be about activities undertaken without my knowledge, I am still accountable for those activities. As disappointed as I may be in some who served me, I'm still the one who must answer to the American people for this behavior."[58]

Finally, the president stated that his previous assertions that the U.S. did not trade arms for hostages were incorrect:

"A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not. As the Tower board reported, what began as a strategic opening to Iran deteriorated, in its implementation, into trading arms for hostages. This runs counter to my own beliefs, to administration policy, and to the original strategy we had in mind."[58]

To this day Reagan's role in the transactions is not definitively known; it is unclear exactly what Reagan knew and when, and whether the arms sales were motivated by his desire to save the U.S. hostages. Oliver North wrote that "Ronald Reagan knew of and approved a great deal of what went on with both the Iranian initiative and private efforts on behalf of the contras and he received regular, detailed briefings on both...I have no doubt that he was told about the use of residuals for the Contras, and that he approved it. Enthusiastically."[59]Handwritten notes by Defense Secretary Weinberger indicate that the President was aware of potential hostages transfers with Iran, as well as the sale of Hawk and TOW missiles to what he was told were "moderate elements" within Iran.[9]Notes taken on December 7, 1985, by Weinberger record that Reagan said that "he could answer charges of illegality but he couldn't answer charge [sic] that 'big strong President Reagan passed up a chance to free hostages'".[9] The Republican-written "Report of the Congressional Committees Investigating the Iran-Contra Affair" concluded, that

There is some question and dispute about precisely the level at which he chose to follow the operation details. There is no doubt, however, ... [that] the President set the US policy towards Nicaragua, with few if any ambiguities, and then left subordinates more or less free to implement it.[60]

Domestically, the scandal precipitated a drop in President Reagan's popularity as his approval ratings saw "the largest single drop for any U.S. president in history", from 67% to 46% in November 1986, according to a New York Times/CBS News poll.[61] The "Teflon President", as Reagan was nicknamed by critics,[62] survived the scandal, however, and by January 1989 a Gallup poll was "recording a 64% approval rating", the highest ever recorded for a departing President at that time.[63]

Internationally the damage was more severe. Magnus Ranstorp wrote, "U.S. willingness to engage in concessions with Iran and the Hezbollah not only signaled to its adversaries that hostage-taking was an extremely useful instrument in extracting political and financial concessions for the West but also undermined any credibility of U.S. criticism of other states' deviation from the principles of no-negotiation and no concession to terrorists and their demands".[64]

In Iran Mehdi Hashemi, the leaker of the scandal, was executed in 1987, allegedly for activities unrelated to the scandal. Though Hashemi made a full video confession to numerous serious charges, some observers find the coincidence of his leak and the subsequent prosecution highly suspicious.[65]

Indictments[edit]
  • Caspar Weinberger, Secretary of Defense, was indicted on two counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice on June 16, 1992. [66]Weinberger received a pardon from George H. W. Bush on December 24, 1992, before he was tried.[67]
  • William Casey, Head of the CIA. Thought to have conceived the plan, was stricken ill hours before he would testify. Reporter Bob Woodward reported Casey knew of and approved the plan.[68]
  • Robert C. McFarlane, National Security Adviser, convicted of withholding evidence, but after a plea bargain was given only two years of probation. Later pardoned by President George H. W. Bush.[69]
  • Elliott Abrams, Assistant Secretary of State, convicted of withholding evidence, but after a plea bargain was given only two years probation. Later pardoned by President George H. W. Bush.[70]
  • Alan D. Fiers, Chief of the CIA's Central American Task Force, convicted of withholding evidence and sentenced to one year probation. Later pardoned by President George H. W. Bush.
  • Clair George, Chief of Covert Ops-CIA, convicted on two charges of perjury, but pardoned by President George H. W. Bush before sentencing.[71]
  • Oliver North, member of the National Security Council convicted of accepting an illegal gratuity, obstruction of a congressional inquiry, and destruction of documents, but the ruling was overturned since he had been granted immunity.[72]
  • Fawn Hall, Oliver North's secretary, was given immunity from prosecution on charges of conspiracy and destroying documents in exchange for her testimony.[73]
  • Jonathan Scott Royster, Liaison to Oliver North, was given immunity from prosecution on charges of conspiracy and destroying documents in exchange for his testimony.[74]
  • National Security Advisor John Poindexter was convicted of five counts of conspiracy, obstruction of justice, perjury, defrauding the government, and the alteration and destruction of evidence. The Supreme Court upheld a lower court ruling that overturned these convictions.[75]
  • Duane Clarridge. An ex-CIA senior official, he was indicted in November 1991 on seven counts of perjury and false statements relating to a November 1985 shipment to Iran. Pardoned before trial by President George H. W. Bush.[76][77]
  • Richard V. Secord. Ex-major general in the Air Force who organized the Iran arms sales and Contra aid. He pleaded guilty in November 1989 to making false statements to Congress and was sentenced to two years of probation.[78][79]
  • Albert Hakim. A businessman, he pleaded guilty in November 1989 to supplementing the salary of North by buying a $13,800 fence for North with money from "the Enterprise", which was a set of foreign companies Hakim used in Iran-Contra. In addition, Swiss company Lake Resources Inc., used for storing money from arms sales to Iran to give to the Contras, plead guilty to stealing government property.[80] Hakim was given two years of probation and a $5,000 fine, while Lake Resources Inc. was ordered to dissolve.[78][81]
Oliver North and John Poindexter were indicted on multiple charges on March 16, 1988.[82] North, indicted on 16 counts, was found guilty by a jury of three felony counts. The convictions were vacated on appeal on the grounds that North's Fifth Amendment rights may have been violated by the indirect use of his testimony to Congress which had been given under a grant of immunity. In 1990 Poindexter was convicted on several felony counts of conspiracy, lying to Congress,obstruction of justice, and altering and destroying documents pertinent to the investigation. His convictions were also overturned on appeal on similar grounds.Arthur L. Liman served as chief counsel for the Senate during the Iran–Contra Scandal.[83]

The Independent Counsel, Lawrence E. Walsh, chose not to re-try North or Poindexter.[84] In total, several dozen people were investigated by Walsh's office.[85]

That you would bother with such an obviously failing argument speaks of your desperation.

Ronald Reagan has almost as much plausible deniability as Richard Nixon..

How much proof would you like? Or maybe I should ask how much proof is needed by someone of your obvious intelligence.

I've argued Iran Contra with plenty of A team leftists over the years; you don't even qualify for the C team, sploogy.

So I will restrict myself to saying that your witch hunt is just more leftist sour grapes.

Open Soviet supporter Edward Boland offered a bill which stripped the Executive of the constitutional power to effect a foreign policy. Does congress have the power to strip the executive of enumerated powers? You don't know, you're a mindless drone. But the reason Walsh could never deliver the hit that the party hired him for, and in fact could only come up with obstruction charges, is that Boland was and is unconstitutional - and everyone knew it. Even BlindBoo, who sobs himself to sleep to stains of the Internationale each night was forced to admit that Boland is a direct violation of the Constitution.

Would you agree that Nicaragua was a proxy war,. with the democrats and the Soviet Union on one side, and the Republicans on the other?

You lost.
You argued for years apparently with little effect....you're just a little too stupid to know that.

Prove it, punk.
an–Contra affair

en.wikipedia.org

Thanks for that.

But Reagan didn't do it.

Aftermath[edit]

Indictments[edit]

wake up dorothy you're having that dream again...

You would think Heckle and Jeckle would be embarrassed about being so obviously wrong and stupid all the time. But it doesn't seem to stop them.

Senate Republican Leadership has failed to represent the values of mainstream Americans and has instead pushed an agenda that reflects the desires of special interests.

Record federal deficits continued in 2005 and, without real reform, will continue for years to come. Meanwhile, our nation’s most critical priorities – including emergency preparedness, economic security, access to affordable health care, quality education, and energy independence – have become an afterthought in the midst of the current Republican culture of corruption.

Republicans have run up historic budget deficits and refused to put us back on a course of budget discipline. Last year, the deficit reached $319 billion, higher than in any year before President Bush took office

Republicans have failed to support a measure to prohibit the Bush Administration from taking overtime pay away from an estimated six million workers. During the Bush Administration, wages have stagnated or declined, even as the cost of health care, child care, and other essential expenses has continued to climb. The Bush overtime regulations will mean millions in lost wages at a time when workers can least afford it

For the eighth year in a row, Republicans have failed to raise the minimum wage. Minimum wage employees working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, earn $10,700 a year, $5,000 below the poverty line for a family of three. The current minimum wage fails to provide enough income to enable minimum wage workers to afford adequate housing in any area of the country

Republicans have failed to provide adequate support to employers hard hit by the activation of military reservists to serve in Iraq. For the second year in a row, Congressional Republicans blocked a bill that would have rewarded businesses that continue to pay salaries to their employees serving oversees. This provision would provide a tax credit to employers continuing to pay activated National Guard and Reserve employees and provide an additional tax credit to small businesses to help them cover the cost of temporarily replacing an employee who has been activated.

Republicans have failed to pass legislation to hold down the unprecedented increases in health care premiums for American families. Employer-sponsored health insurance increased by 9.2 percent in 2005 – more than three times the growth in wages and more than twice the rate of overall inflation. Premiums for family health coverage are now $10,880, up from $6,348 in 2000. These premium hikes are straining family finances, forcing businesses to drop coverage, and driving up the number of uninsured Americans

Republicans have failed to fully fund No Child Left Behind (NCLB) education reforms. Even though school districts are facing increasingly rigorous academic standards and new requirements for highly qualified teachers, Republicans actually reduced funding for NCLB in Fiscal Year 2006. Funding for NCLB is about $13 billion below the authorized level

Republicans failed to stop Bush Administration efforts to continue weakening current environmental laws and have failed to provide critical funding for environmental protection and natural resources programs, including clean air, clean water, enforcement, land acquisition, and urban parks

Republicans have failed to provide necessary funding to clean up toxic waste sites. One in four Americans lives within four miles of a toxic waste site. Republicans have looked the other way as the Administration has reduced or eliminated toxic emissions reporting requirements and limited the public’s access to information on toxics risks

Republicans have not responded to recent increases in Medicare Part B premiums. Monthly Part B premiums have almost doubled since 2000 – from $45.50 in 2000 to $88.50 in 2006

I agree you are a master of blahblah
blah ...blah.. thanks for conformation.

And YOU are a master baiter.
every real man should be!

And you are a degenerate sex maniac!!!

There is a difference between a master baiter and a masturbator, you freeak!!

Leave your private sexual matters, private!

Scumbag.

And you're still not black.

Would you like more?

I'd like you to see that The Gipper had nothing to do with the excesses of his people, who were all held to account for their deeds. And RR let justice be done.

Let's see Obama take THAT lesson from a Republican.

He's either failed miserably, or he is trying to turn America into a banana republic ruled by one party. Democrats. Or Obamacrats.

4. Obamacrat
Person who claims to be liberal, democratic, supporter of the democratic party, etc. when in reality this person loves Obama and more crucially has an entirely internet created opinion. This person has no idea what the values of Liberals or Democrats are and despite the name actually have no idea what Obama stands for, is working on now or sometimes what his job is. This person will verbally attack any Republicans under the impression they are fundamentalist, anti-gay, sexist, racist, elitist, hillbilly, fascist, retarded, evil, diabolical or any words they may have seen on iFunny or various other websites on any particular day. Despite having a love for Obama, they constantly blame the government for their troubles. They do not know the function of Congress, only that Congress is basically the gathering of Sith Lords and is the reason bad things happen in America or anywhere in the world. When they disagree with Obama they should be hanged, as questioning the president is of course not the job written for Congress in the Constitution.

(These people make up 20-30% of the American population. They vary from Democrats greatly, as Democrats are people who believe in large government, changes in tradition and stricter regulations. These people love facts and support their party's president but look at his decisions logically)
Obamacrat: FUCK YEAH, OBAMA GONNA FUCK YOU HILLBILLY GAY KILLING BASTARDS DOWN SOUTH WITH GUN REGULATIONS. WHAT YOU GONNA DO NOW MOTHERFUCKERS GO BACK AND SUCK BUSH'S COCK?
Republican: You are not worth arguing with
Democrat: I swear this is not my whole party
by TheMeyorXYX April 07, 2014

Urban Dictionary Obamacrat

Would you like more?

I'd like you to see that The Gipper had nothing to do with the excesses of his people, who were all held to account for their deeds. And RR let justice be done.

He's either failed miserably, or he is trying to turn America into a banana republic ruled by one party. Democrats. Or Obamacrats.

4. Obamacrat
Person who claims to be liberal, democratic, supporter of the democratic party, etc. when in reality this person loves Obama and more crucially has an entirely internet created opinion. This person has no idea what the values of Liberals or Democrats are and despite the name actually have no idea what Obama stands for, is working on now or sometimes what his job is. This person will verbally attack any Republicans under the impression they are fundamentalist, anti-gay, sexist, racist, elitist, hillbilly, fascist, retarded, evil, diabolical or any words they may have seen on iFunny or various other websites on any particular day. Despite having a love for Obama, they constantly blame the government for their troubles. They do not know the function of Congress, only that Congress is basically the gathering of Sith Lords and is the reason bad things happen in America or anywhere in the world. When they disagree with Obama they should be hanged, as questioning the president is of course not the job written for Congress in the Constitution.

(These people make up 20-30% of the American population. They vary from Democrats greatly, as Democrats are people who believe in large government, changes in tradition and stricter regulations. These people love facts and support their party's president but look at his decisions logically)
Obamacrat: FUCK YEAH, OBAMA GONNA FUCK YOU HILLBILLY GAY KILLING BASTARDS DOWN SOUTH WITH GUN REGULATIONS. WHAT YOU GONNA DO NOW MOTHERFUCKERS GO BACK AND SUCK BUSH'S COCK?

So then Reagan must have been completely incompetent to not know what his own staff and close advisers were doing.......or he just lied. Which is it?

Would you like more?

4. Obamacrat

So then Reagan must have been completely incompetent to not know what his own staff and close advisers were doing.......or he just lied. Which is it?

It was almost 30 years ago.

Would you like more?

4. Obamacrat

It was almost 30 years ago.
doesn't change a thing, the past always affects the present...

Impeachment is a political process not a legal one. No crime need be committed and the Republicans could impeach Obama tomorrow if they were not afraid of the political fallout. It's all politics.

Forum List

Back