In the market for a new grill...

I've got a Lang for real BBQ.
A MAK 2 star general for my pellet pooper.
A Kamado Joe....A pure joy to cook with!!!
A FireMagic gas grill...this thing is a beast as far as gas grills go. All parts are warrantee'd for life,even the burners.
And the 36' stainless Blackstone. Which we dont use very often because it can make a mess.
The best things we cook on it are smash burgers and Philly Cheese steaks.

If I had to pick one it'd be between the Kamado and the Lang.
The Kamado is far more versatile but the Lang makes some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten.
Real barbeque is cooked over hot coals, not a wood fire. The wood fire is in a separate barrel called a burn barrel typically. Often a discarded 55 gallon drum with a big hole cut in the side on the bottom where you can shovel the hot coals out to spread under the meat cooking in the pit.
So called real barbeque takes a lot sweat and hard work. I'll settle for my wood pellet fire being close enough and just as close as any wood fired cooker.

I know how real BBQ is made.
I BBQed in competitions for years and it's done with indirect heat and smoke using various types of ...yes,wood which are generally called "splits". And at temps between 220 and 275.
Cooking over heat is grilling.
View attachment 376880View attachment 376881

This guy is arguably the best BBQer on the planet.
Check out his pits....

Well then if you've been in competitions then you're aware that the guys who whooped your ass were likely cooking on pellet rigs. LOL
As far as the best BBQ on the planet, it's probably coming from some tumbled down, ramshackle shack out in the Carolina backwoods somewhere. That guy's good because he has to be good or his kids don't eat, get clothes or new shoes. It sure as hell ain't from that Myron Dixon TV clown

You dont think Myron Dixon was BBQing right?
What do pellet poopers have to do with anything? But I'll address it....
Some BBQ contests dont allow pellet poopers because they take no skill. Throwing a hunk of meat on a pellet pooper and walking away is not a skill,anyone can do it.
I have the MAK 2 star pellet pooper and it doesnt compare to a real wood fired offset smoker.
And I believe you mentioned that wood isn't used in BBQ.......pellet poopers use...thats right,wood.

And I'm not seeing the difference between some backwoods dude cooking to make money for his family and Franklin doing the exact same thing.

Building a fire isn't where the skill comes in ya dummy. And staying up all night to tend a fire doesn't require skill or brains.

Keeping a pit at the right temp actually does take skill.
You got to keep the fire just right or you end up with billowing white smoke when you're looking for thin blue.

Weber spirit and genesis line are made in America.
Correct for the Genesis. I read Spirit is made in China. But both are propane. Looking to go pellet (or charcoal).

View attachment 373774
Something like that right there!
I use green Live Oak in mine usually, stuff comes out great!
There's the Komodo eggs.
I like a sideways smoker, though. I know how to use that!
I just use my fingers thermometer on the meat-side lid, and good to go!
:woohoo:

Smokealib said he wanted something for $500 bucks that he can grill and smoke on...that one fits the bill perfectly.
My favorites are Post oak ,Pecan and Pimento if if I can get it.
That's rare around here. I like Post Oak and Pecan and Hickory.
You can even use Hickory nuts. Citrus is great for straight-up BBQ.
Burns hot and clean.

Correct for the Genesis. I read Spirit is made in China. But both are propane. Looking to go pellet (or charcoal).

View attachment 373774
There's the Komodo eggs.

Smokealib said he wanted something for $500 bucks that he can grill and smoke on...that one fits the bill perfectly.
Burns hot and clean.

The Pimento wood comes from Jamaica and is expensive as hell!!!
Costs around $50 bucks for enough to make Jerk chicken.
I use some fruit woods mainly for pork.

I've had propane grills most of my life, and decided I'm done with them. They just seem to fall apart after a couple years use, and you really don't get the flavor of outdoor cooking.
So I've been looking at pellet grills. But, most affordable ones are made in China, (even Traeger since 2016) and they use circuit boards and motors to regulate pellet flow. More Chinese components to break down and render the grill useless. The only USA made pellet grills will run 1500 plus. I am looking at a Z Grills 7000 series for about 550.
So now I'm looking at charcoal. Weber is out, as they are now all Chinese made. I'm considering the PK Grills cast aluminum (made in Arkansas) for about 360.
So, Z Grills 7000 pellet grill $550 (China), or,
PK Grills Original charcoal grill $360 (USA).
Or talk me out of either one or both. I'm open to suggestions.
Thank you!
just put two pork ribs on my new treager,,so far its been a good grill/smoker,,although it doesnt replace a good grill for quick cooking it does the job,

as for not being made in the USA that wont change until democrats and republicans stop abusing corporations with regulations and taxs that cause them to move over seas that will not change,,,
Traeger is just too damn expensive for a Chinese manufactured product. If I was forced to buy Chinese, I would go with Z- Grills with thicker materials, better ratings - at half the cost.
Traeger is overpriced junk IMHO. ZGrills is a Grilla knock off with no service. Beware ZGrills.
There are lots of pellet grills to choose from since Tragers patent expired. Many very fancy and all stainless models for fancy prices too. While you want stainless in critical areas you don't need it everywhere, nice but not necessary.
Something else to ignore are the PID controllers. Cooking good barbeque doesn't require plus minus one degree accuracy. In fact it can even be detrimental to good smoke flavor. You're not making up a batch of nitro or rocket fuel, you're cooking meat. The oven in your kitchen isn't nearly that accurate either. If the grill you choose has a PID controller, look for ways to disable the PID loop.

It took forever to convince my wife to buy kamado grill. We bought Big Green Egg and i'm kinda ok with that, it makes it job, but i think there is the better options for making burgers. Any suggestions on what to buy instead of kamado grill?

The kamado makes burgers just fine.
The thing about Kamados is their versatility. You can smoke on em,sear,make pizza,bake cookies or cornbread and it uses very little charcoal. And they hold temp better than any cooker I have other than the MAK pellet pooper
You can fill up the basket and cook on it four times before you have to refill it.
There is no other grill out there that can do all the things a Kamado can do.

And as I said earlier.
If I had to pick one cooker I'b be hard pressed to pick between the Kamado or my Lang.
Both are fantastic at what they do but the Kamado Joe is far more versatile.
Thanks man. Seems like i just don't know how to use kamado properly. Been watchin a lot of videos on youtube and a lot of articles in internet about kamado grills and their heat retention. This thing is really helps to save money.

Last edited:
It took forever to convince my wife to buy kamado grill. We bought Big Green Egg and i'm kinda ok with that, it makes it job, but i think there is the better options for making burgers. Any suggestions on what to buy instead of kamado grill?

The thing about Kamados is their versatility. You can smoke on em,sear,make pizza,bake cookies or cornbread and it uses very little charcoal. And they hold temp better than any cooker I have other than the MAK pellet pooper
You can fill up the basket and cook on it four times before you have to refill it.

And as I said earlier.
If I had to pick one cooker I'b be hard pressed to pick between the Kamado or my Lang.
Thanks man. Seems like i just don't know how to use kamado properly. Been watchin a lot of videos on youtube and a lot of articles in internet about kamado grills and their heat retention. This thing is really helps to save money.

Not trying to be an ass but you should have bought the Kamado Joe.
It comes with far more extras than the Green Egg and is generally accepted as better.
Not only that they offer a shit ton of after market pieces.
Not saying the green egg is a bad cooker because it most certainly isnt . You just have to spend more money to get all the goodies the Joe comes with.
19D29D29-0EF9-4BD9-870D-98608B2FAB00.jpeg

And as I said earlier.

Oh...be sure and watch videos using the Joe as well.
The same principles apply on both of them.

View attachment 373774
There's the Komodo eggs.

Burns hot and clean.

I have it here. Guava is superior on chicken or fish. Coffee is the best wood for beef, Eucalyptus Deglupta is the winner on pork.

View attachment 373774
There's the Komodo eggs.

Burns hot and clean.

I have it here. Guava is superior on chicken or fish. Coffee is the best wood for beef, Eucalyptus Deglupta is the winner on pork.
Eucalyptus? :wtf: Surely you jest.

View attachment 373774
There's the Komodo eggs.

Burns hot and clean.

You have what here?
I have some Eucalyptus charcoal thats pretty interesting from Fogo.
If you like natural charcoal check out Fogo, best stuff on the planet by far.
I use it when I only want charcoal flavor. For firing up the Lang I'll use whatever I have just to get the wood fire going.

And as I said earlier.
Thanks man. Seems like i just don't know how to use kamado properly. I read a lot of articles about kamado heat retention. This thing is really helping to save money.

And as I said earlier.

It comes with far more extras than the Green Egg and is generally accepted as better.
Not saying the green egg is a bad cooker because it most certainly isnt . You just have to spend more money to get all the goodies the Joe comes with.View attachment 377156
Yep, heard about that. I bought Big Green Egg because a buddy of mine have one, and he recommend it to me.

View attachment 373774
There's the Komodo eggs.

Burns hot and clean.

Eucalyptus? :wtf: Surely you jest.

The Eucalyptus charcoal is some good stuff for fish and other light tasting meats like chicken.
It's kinda hard to describe,it's almost a crisp taste without a lot of wood tones.

And as I said earlier.
Thanks man. Seems like i just don't know how to use kamado properly. I read a lot of articles about kamado heat retention. This thing is really helping to save money.

And as I said earlier.

Not saying the green egg is a bad cooker because it most certainly isnt . You just have to spend more money to get all the goodies the Joe comes with.View attachment 377156
Yep, heard about that. I bought Big Green Egg because a buddy of mine have one, and he recommend it to me.

It's still a damn good cooker.
The first time I used my Joe I cooked some yard bird on it. I thought for sure the thermometer was broken since the temp was so steady. That just doesnt happen on 99% of outdoor grills no matter the type.
Brought out my Thermo Works temp gauges to check things out,these are very expensive thermos that run around $350 per set up.
It was a bit hotter at grill level but still rock steady! I've been BBQing for around 35 years and I'd never seen that type of consistency on a natural fuel cooker....bar none.

While we're on the subject. You might what to think twice before cooking your food with commom charcoal briquettes like Kingsford and such. Charcoal briquettes were invented by the Ford company in order to rid it self of industrial waste from the famous River Rouge plant where raw naturals went into one end and model Ts come out the other. Charcoal briquettes are made by pressing a mixture of basically coal dust, saw dust and clay (dirt) into briquettes under heat and pressure.
If you want to cook your food with industrial waste fine but when cooking with charcoal, lump charcoal (partially combusted wood) is a better choice in my opinion. When I smoked with lump charcoal and chunks of hard wood (called lump & chunk) I found Royal Oak, red bag to be both high quality and widely available.

While we're on the subject. You might what to think twice before cooking your food with commom charcoal briquettes like Kingsford and such. Charcoal briquettes were invented by the Ford company in order to rid it self of industrial waste from the famous River Rouge plant where raw naturals went into one end and model Ts come out the other. Charcoal briquettes are made by pressing a mixture of basically coal dust, saw dust and clay (dirt) into briquettes under heat and pressure.
If you want to cook your food with industrial waste fine but when cooking with charcoal, lump charcoal (partially combusted wood) is a better choice in my opinion. When I smoked with lump charcoal and chunks of hard wood (called lump & chunk) I found Royal Oak, red bag to be both high quality and widely available.

The only time I'll use briquettes is to start the fire in my smoker.

I've found FOGO to be the best lump charcoal out there.
And they offer it in various types of wood. But any lump charcoal is better than the press formed shit.
Fogo Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal

And they offer it in various types of wood. But any lump charcoal is better than the press formed shit.
I used to do the same thing. I'd preheat and get my lump fire going with briquettes then before the meat went in it would be a nice lump and chunk affair and my temp would be where I wanted it and stable, typically at 225F.
There's an entire website out there that's dedicated only to lump charcoal. They sort it out and grade it by all sorts of criteria. The stuff I used consistently scored highly and since you could even get it at wally world I saw no need to change. I tried Cowboy and some locally made crap once but that stuff was just plain crap. Full of rocks and flooring scraps. Rocks don't burn fer shit.

Last edited:

I used to do the same thing. I'd preheat and get my lump fire going with briquettes then before the meat went in it would be a nice lump and chunk affair and my temp would be where I wanted it and stable, typically at 225F.
There's an entire website out there that's dedicated only to lump charcoal. They sort it out and grade it by all sorts of criteria. The stuff I used consistently scored highly and since you could even get it at wally world I saw no need to change. I tried Cowboy and some locally made crap once but that stuff was just plain crap. Full of rocks and flooring scraps. Rocks don't burn fer shit.

The Big Block from Kamado Joe is excellent as well.
1597955373949.png

As is the FOGO.
1597955374764.jpeg

Both can be bought at Ace hardware or you can order online and get free delivery for either.
No BS pieces the size of a golf ball.

Ok this is what I decided on...
Best bang for the buck as far as offset stick burners go.
I've decided against a pellet grill because of electronic failures and generally unfavorable reviews as far as smoke flavor.

Ok this is what I decided on...
Best bang for the buck as far as offset stick burners go.
I've decided against a pellet grill because of electronic failures and generally unfavorable reviews as far as smoke flavor.
I decided on this one because of numerous factors:
1. Not made in China. (Made just across the border from Laredo TX)
2. Welded 1/4 inch metal (not bolted 1/8 inch metal ie Oklahoma Joe's)
3. Availability. Academy Sports sells them.
4. 600 bucks.

Forum List

Back