In the market for a new grill...

SmokeALib

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
I've had propane grills most of my life, and decided I'm done with them. They just seem to fall apart after a couple years use, and you really don't get the flavor of outdoor cooking.
So I've been looking at pellet grills. But, most affordable ones are made in China, (even Traeger since 2016) and they use circuit boards and motors to regulate pellet flow. More Chinese components to break down and render the grill useless. The only USA made pellet grills will run 1500 plus. I am looking at a Z Grills 7000 series for about 550.
So now I'm looking at charcoal. Weber is out, as they are now all Chinese made. I'm considering the PK Grills cast aluminum (made in Arkansas) for about 360.
So, Z Grills 7000 pellet grill $550 (China), or,
PK Grills Original charcoal grill $360 (USA).
Or talk me out of either one or both. I'm open to suggestions.
Thank you!

Blackstone Griddle & Charcoal Grill Combo
1597161173233.png

I've had propane grills most of my life, and decided I'm done with them. They just seem to fall apart after a couple years use, and you really don't get the flavor of outdoor cooking.
So I've been looking at pellet grills. But, most affordable ones are made in China, (even Traeger since 2016) and they use circuit boards and motors to regulate pellet flow. More Chinese components to break down and render the grill useless. The only USA made pellet grills will run 1500 plus. I am looking at a Z Grills 7000 series for about 550.
So now I'm looking at charcoal. Weber is out, as they are now all Chinese made. I'm considering the PK Grills cast aluminum (made in Arkansas) for about 360.
Thank you!
/----/ Here is a popular grill, American made too. Enjoy.
1597161404038.png

Weber spirit and genesis line are made in America.
Correct for the Genesis. I read Spirit is made in China. But both are propane. Looking to go pellet (or charcoal).

1597162308662.png

Correct for the Genesis. I read Spirit is made in China. But both are propane. Looking to go pellet (or charcoal).

View attachment 373774

You also get the benefit of being able to use real wood exclusively for true smoked meats.

View attachment 373774

You also get the benefit of being able to use real wood exclusively for true smoked meats.

And it's great for reverse searing a steak. Keep em on the cool side until internal temp reaches around 110 and then sear directly over the flames to get that crust.

Thank you!
Beware of that Zgrills. Remember if it looks too good to be true, it is. ZGrills is a Chinese fly by night. After e extensive looking, comparing and all that stuff, I'm a careful shopper and make the most out of buying stuff, i settled on Grilla as offering the best bang for the buck. It's designed and inspected Ameraica but made in China. They control costs by building stuff in China and selling only direct thus putting the savings into the product rather than in some middleman's pocket. Their price is always the same and includes shipping. No sales or soecial deals it cist hat it cost and theres no shopping around. Order one up and about a week later it shows up at your door on a truck. It was everything they said it was. Be sure to look at the materials used and things like thermal efficency, not only for use in colder weather but fuel savings every timed you fire it up. They have several models but i settled on their Silverback. They've got this Grilla/Gorilla thing going so their marketing, what there is of it is the gorilla thing. The way it's built and the stuff its built out of believe me this thing is going to be around for years and years to come. It's not the best or the most expensive, not even the prettiest but it's probably the best bang for your buck and their support is excellent because it has to be as they have no third parties to slime crap off on to. As far as Trager and companies like them are concerned, their customer is the retail chain they sell to, not you and not even the local store you bought it from but the chain store's buyers. Some assembly required, mine took an hour or less to get shook together.
Just hit Grillagrills.com and shop around some for yourself.
BTW their cover sucks because it4s too tight so I found a better one from Traeger that's fits loose like I like. If you get a silverback I'll tell you which one but you'll likly have to order it from Traeger like I did because most of their stores don't stock it. Just don't buy a Grilla cover unless you want it to fit like yoga pants.

Thank you!
Beware of that Zgrills. Remember if it looks too good to be true, it is. ZGrills is a Chinese fly by night. After e extensive looking, comparing and all that stuff, I'm a careful shopper and make the most out of buying stuff, i settled on Grilla as offering the best bang for the buck. It's designed and inspected Ameraica but made in China. They control costs by building stuff in China and selling only direct thus putting the savings into the product rather than in some middleman's pocket. Their price is always the same and includes shipping. No sales or soecial deals it cist hat it cost and theres no shopping around. Order one up and about a week later it shows up at your door on a truck. It was everything they said it was. Be sure to look at the materials used and things like thermal efficency, not only for use in colder weather but fuel savings every timed you fire it up. They have several models but i settled on their Silverback. They've got this Grilla/Gorilla thing going so their marketing, what there is of it is the gorilla thing. The way it's built and the stuff its built out of believe me this thing is going to be around for years and years to come. It's not the best or the most expensive, not even the prettiest but it's probably the best bang for your buck and their support is excellent because it has to be as they have no third parties to slime crap off on to. As far as Trager and companies like them are concerned, their customer is the retail chain they sell to, not you and not even the local store you bought it from but the chain store's buyers. Some assembly required, mine took an hour or less to get shook together.
Just hit Grillagrills.com and shop around some for yourself.
BTW their cover sucks because it4s too tight so I found a better one from Traeger that's fits loose like I like. If you get a silverback I'll tell you which one but you'll likly have to order it from Traeger like I did because most of their stores don't stock it. Just don't buy a Grilla cover unless you want it to fit like yoga pants.
BTW because of their free shipping, I even buy my pellets from them. The only ones I can find in the stores around here are Traeger pellets and those aren't very good either.
I've been smoking meat for years but just got to old to stay up nights tending a fire for those long overnight butt and brisket smokes. I've never been happier with the results I get from my pellet rig. I can crank up the temp and grill on it too so it's versitile.

My Grills/Smokers

Weber 1999
Weber Spirit
Weber Smokey Mountain Bullet smoker 22 in
Weber Q
Weber Smokey Joe
22 in Blackstone Griddle

Last edited:
I've got a Lang for real BBQ.
A MAK 2 star general for my pellet pooper.
A Kamado Joe....A pure joy to cook with!!!
A FireMagic gas grill...this thing is a beast as far as gas grills go. All parts are warrantee'd for life,even the burners.
And the 36' stainless Blackstone. Which we dont use very often because it can make a mess.
The best things we cook on it are smash burgers and Philly Cheese steaks.

If I had to pick one it'd be between the Kamado and the Lang.
The Kamado is far more versatile but the Lang makes some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten.

Thank you!
just put two pork ribs on my new treager,,so far its been a good grill/smoker,,although it doesnt replace a good grill for quick cooking it does the job,

as for not being made in the USA that wont change until democrats and republicans stop abusing corporations with regulations and taxs that cause them to move over seas that will not change,,,

Forum List

Back