In politics, people tend to believe lies. Why?

ElmerMudd

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2009
Northwest

First, pain. The truth is too painful to face head-on, so we refuse to acknowledge that what weā€™ve chosen to accept as truth is, in reality, a lie.

Second, loss. To face the truth robs one of something held dear ā€“ often power or control. Rather than find our place in a new context, we grasp for anything, and anyone, who will affirm, and help us retain, our current status.

Third, ignorance. Though less common, some people truly donā€™t recognize a lie when it is presented. Lack of knowledge, feigned or actual, provides them a state of bliss.

Fourth, cultural assimilation. A desire to fit in with oneā€™s group, tribe, family or social structure causes you to believe what theyā€™re saying even when you know better.

Fifth, moral weakness. This is perhaps the most common reason. When someone doesnā€™t have the fortitude to do their own research they ā€œleave the details to others,ā€ or they know the truth but are unwilling to speak out.

Sixth, secondary gain. Believing and propagating the lie brings a personal benefit, so we trade integrity for short-term benefits.

Seventh, fear. Acquiring better information would require that we take personal responsibility for the lies weā€™ve believed and told and that we change our way of thinking and acting.

Eighth, protection. We seek to safeguard the fragile, though false, narrative upon which oneā€™s life is built.

Ninth, societal politeness. Itā€™s easier to go along to get along, so we choose not to upset the proverbial apple cart.

Tenth, cultural indoctrination. We develop blinders and become unable to grasp that what may be seen as truth for one segment of society is not for others.

Democrats believe lies like Hunter's laptop is russian disinformation and ashley biden's diary is fake.

Democrats believe the lie that mask protect them from covid and the vax prevents infection.

It's up to the media to uncover political lies but when the media becomes the propaganda arm of a political party and foreign governments the truth can get lost.
We can all find the truth if we work hard enough.
It is much easier to accept the lies. That is why so many people do it.

Democrats believe lies like Hunter's laptop is russian disinformation and ashley biden's diary is fake.

Democrats believe the lie that mask protect them from covid and the vax prevents infection.
People from all sides of the political spectrum believe lies.
Some more than others.

"What is truth" - Pilate, as he looked at Jesus, the ultimate truth. Pilate proclaimed Jesus innocence to the mob but said that statement to justify himself. He didn't care what the truth was.

Lesser thinkers believe in a candidate. I've never supported a candidate and have done awesome.

Sure guy. You believe the lies about the laptop and the diary.

What lies do I believe?
You believe in the lie that I believe the lies about the laptop and the diary.
Who told you the lie.
I feel Hunter Biden needs to be held accountable on several issues.. How Hunter treated his daughter, born out of wedlock with a stripper, shows what kind of guy he is. Hunter is Trump like.

First, pain. The truth is too painful to face head-on, so we refuse to acknowledge that what weā€™ve chosen to accept as truth is, in reality, a lie.

Second, loss. To face the truth robs one of something held dear ā€“ often power or control. Rather than find our place in a new context, we grasp for anything, and anyone, who will affirm, and help us retain, our current status.

Third, ignorance. Though less common, some people truly donā€™t recognize a lie when it is presented. Lack of knowledge, feigned or actual, provides them a state of bliss.

Fourth, cultural assimilation. A desire to fit in with oneā€™s group, tribe, family or social structure causes you to believe what theyā€™re saying even when you know better.

Fifth, moral weakness. This is perhaps the most common reason. When someone doesnā€™t have the fortitude to do their own research they ā€œleave the details to others,ā€ or they know the truth but are unwilling to speak out.

Sixth, secondary gain. Believing and propagating the lie brings a personal benefit, so we trade integrity for short-term benefits.

Seventh, fear. Acquiring better information would require that we take personal responsibility for the lies weā€™ve believed and told and that we change our way of thinking and acting.

Eighth, protection. We seek to safeguard the fragile, though false, narrative upon which oneā€™s life is built.

Ninth, societal politeness. Itā€™s easier to go along to get along, so we choose not to upset the proverbial apple cart.

Tenth, cultural indoctrination. We develop blinders and become unable to grasp that what may be seen as truth for one segment of society is not for others.

I think the answer is not on your list. That being, nobody knows the truth, either that or we are just so divided as a nation that one side will make up lies or twist things into lies and they will say the what the other side believes is a lie, which could be a lie itself. Basically, they will try to say something is a lie that really isnā€™t.

And then thereā€™s the fact that division in this country means some people donā€™t care what the truth is, at the end of the day, they must disagree with the other side, so they will defend whatever it is, in that point alone.

Hereā€™s a question for you; tell me where I can find the truthā€¦

I think the answer is not on your list. That being, nobody knows the truth, either that or we are just so divided as a nation that one side will make up lies or twist things into lies and they will say the what the other side believes is a lie, which could be a lie itself. Basically, they will try to say something is a lie that really isnā€™t.

And then thereā€™s the fact that division in this country means some people donā€™t care what the truth is, at the end of the day, they must disagree with the other side, so they will defend whatever it is, in that point alone.

Hereā€™s a question for you; tell me where I can find the truthā€¦
I go to many sources on each subject to try and determine the truth. I go to news sources that are all over the political spectrum. The biggest problem is when people only go to news sources that trend toward their political leanings.
I go to news sources outside the US, also. I think they really helped with COVID.

I go to many sources on each subject to try and determine the truth. I go to news sources that are all over the political spectrum. The biggest problem is when people only go to news sources that trend toward their political leanings.
I go to news sources outside the US, also. I think they really helped with COVID.
Ok, now show me a news source that isnā€™t biased or have an agenda.

Forum List

Back