Impending eco disaster by solar panels

Power is power ... the watt of electricity put on the grid is used on the grid ... refineries run on the grid ... my understanding is that up to 20% of Texas electricity comes from wind, on windy days ... that's 20% less power from fossil fuels plants, on windy days ... all the power is mixed together on the grid ... so refineries use 20% of their power from wind farms, on windy days ...

If the wind isn't blowing, Texas has to fire up fossil fuel generators, which is more expensive, the refineries don't shut down ... it's call using what's cheapest ...
20% is the self reported, installed power. Add the capacity factor and those wund turbines are providing 5% of power in Texas.

Then there are line looses, 50% every 50 miles. There are conflicting reports on line losses. Even if I go with a low number, like 5% every 50 miles that is another 70% loss.

Sorry, wind power is a failure, that is why it is subsidized. Nobody uses their money to build Wind Turbines

20% is the self reported, installed power. Add the capacity factor and those wund turbines are providing 5% of power in Texas.

Then there are line looses, 50% every 50 miles. There are conflicting reports on line losses. Even if I go with a low number, like 5% every 50 miles that is another 70% loss.

Sorry, wind power is a failure, that is why it is subsidized. Nobody uses their money to build Wind Turbines

You seem misinformed ... the grid uses AC current ... as this all but eliminates line loss ... I know, you want wind power to be weaker ... sorry, a watt is a watt no matter the source ...

This may help you:

You seem misinformed ... the grid uses AC current ... as this all but eliminates line loss ... I know, you want wind power to be weaker ... sorry, a watt is a watt no matter the source ...

This may help you:

Wind power is weak, and distributions and transmission losses are high.

The fact that you must use google to find a link that confirms your opinion shows you do not have the knowledge about electricity that you pretend to.

AC current? Certainly current flows through the grid. To state that it is the AC current that eliminates line loss is backwards. We step up the voltage as high as possible so that it takes less AC current, resulting in less line loss.

You really should educate yourself before you start commenting as if you know what you are talking about.

Had you stated High Voltage you may of appeared credible, but you do not understand how electricity works.

watts? Ha, not as easy as PIE, now tell me what I meant by not as easy as pie, without a google search

Wind power is weak, and distributions and transmission losses are high.

The fact that you must use google to find a link that confirms your opinion shows you do not have the knowledge about electricity that you pretend to.

AC current? Certainly current flows through the grid. To state that it is the AC current that eliminates line loss is backwards. We step up the voltage as high as possible so that it takes less AC current, resulting in less line loss.

You really should educate yourself before you start commenting as if you know what you are talking about.

Had you stated High Voltage you may of appeared credible, but you do not understand how electricity works.

watts? Ha, not as easy as PIE, now tell me what I meant by not as easy as pie, without a google search

Google? ... er ... no ...

Halliday, David; Resnick, Robert; Fundamentals of Physics; John Wiley and Sons Publishing; 1973

College science in college textbooks ... power is equal to the differential of work with respect to time ... dW/dt ... joules per second ... defined as a watt ... I don't suppose you know what work is in this context ... because that's what's confusing you ... in science, work is measured in joules, and joules have to be conserved ...

Wind power is weak ...

In the real universe, power is power, volts RMS times amps ... no matter the source of the power ... unless you have a credible citation from someplace other than Google ... is Google Scholar prohibited as well? ...

Wind power is weak ...

In the real universe, power is power, volts RMS times amps ... no matter the source of the power ... unless you have a credible citation from someplace other than Google ... is Google Scholar prohibited as well? ...
You made a false claim, that AC current was essentially zero loss.

Transmission lines use high voltage resulting in lower AC current which lessens the line losses.

The real universe? In the real universe power from wind is very weak and intermitten, as well as extremely far from where it is used.

You claimed that 20% of the power a refinery uses comes from wind power. That is a fabrication, your opinion, which you cant prove.

Power, I gave you the formula and asked you if you knew what that formula was. I asked nicely, how come you did not answer? Can you even find that formula and quote it, it is as easy as pie.

Refineries do not get 20% of their power from wind energy, wind is to weak and too far.

... so refineries use 20% of their power from wind farms, on windy days ...

If the wind isn't blowing, Texas has to fire up fossil fuel generators, which is more expensive, the refineries don't shut down ... it's call using what's cheapest ..
Texas refineries have there own electricity generating plants operating on fossil fuels, selling the excess power to the grid.

Nothing is more expensive than wind power, and the cost of firing up fossil fuel plants is a burden caused by wind power. A burden that would not exist if we did not pay for wind turbines with tax money

I never brought up DC??? Why do you keep refering to DC.

You even pointed out the AC equivelant of DC, why?

How do you step up DC? ... I'm sorry but you're acting confused ... like you don't understand "power on demand" systems ... the video from Practical Engineering is correct, we use AC on the grid because of her better transmission characteristics ... and as someone who's worked in the industry, AC is safer ... you can ask toobfreak about filament circuits ... they're DC and they kill ... I've been hit with 500 VAC and walked away ... 250 VDC will cook you, literally ...

I'm curious because the video did explain the major problem with solar/wind ... and it's just the one problem, unfortunately, it appears to be unsolvable ... for a system that requires perfection within 0.5%, solar is never better than 50%, and wind is irregular ...

I clearly stated "on windy days" ... I never said solar/wind was reliable ... so ease up on the strawman arguments ... the Oklahoma Rancher has windmills because cattle and oil doesn't always pay the bills ... and solar takes up too much land ... capitalism at it's finest ...

Texas refineries have there own electricity generating plants operating on fossil fuels, selling the excess power to the grid.

They can't do that without synchronization ... and they can't synchronize unless they're interconnected ... do you have any college science classes? ... I can't remember if this is covered in high school or not ...

Last edited:
I clearly stated "on windy days" ... I never said solar/wind was reliable ... so ease up on the strawman arguments ...
You also clearly brought up wgen the wind was not blowing and the cost, I did not bring this up. My reply to this is a reply, not a strawman argument
If the wind isn't blowing, Texas has to fire up fossil fuel generators, which is more expensive, the refineries don't shut down ... it's call using what's cheapest ..

Forum List

Back