Imagine a US where we all lived by the Bible

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. ...

50 pieces of silver? ... How much is it? ... But for sure he had to take care his whole life for this woman in his household. So in case she was 15 and she died with 65 years then this could be in 50 years about $500,000-600,000. What happens today - some thousand years later? Is this really better?

By the way: Christians never used such laws. Christians used the roman laws or in the middle ages laws like for example the lex baiuvariorum (6th-8th century). The worth of a person in this book had to do with the social position. But if a man hurted a woman he had to pay twice as much.

So why should we use such laws today?

We can't live by the scriptures without knowing them. I doubt 5% of the population of this nation has read the bible cover to cover. Some of them even go to church.

What do you think do we do in a church service? Kill children and drink their blood and eat their flesh?

Last edited:
imagine if we lived in a world without religion

Terrifying imagination.

PS: Don't forget please that atheism is also a belief only. In a world without belief human beings would not exist at all.

Sorry, I don't believe that.

What do you not believe? Ah - you don't trust me. Would be stupid to trust in me. Trust in god. But in this context it's maybe better you ask on a university in the USA people who know something about such historical contextes or read a book about this history from a more reliable person. The USA is full of libraries. This has by the way also something to do with the christian religion.

PS: My god - I was to fast. I don't delete the first text now - but I was completly wrong. Typical for our time. No one has any longer time to think. We are somehow degrading ourselves to acting-reacting-machines. Whatever:

You don't believe that you believe god is not existing - you think this is evident. But: god is the creator of everything - also the creator of existance itselve. You are not able to do anything else than "to believe" in this context. Why for example is the universe or multiverse here? You don't know, isn't it? Even if you say "on no reason" this is 'only' a belief.

Last edited:
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. ...

50 pieces of silver? ... How much is it? ... But for sure he had to take care his whole life for this woman in his household. So in case she was 15 and she died with 65 years then this could be in 50 years about $500,000-600,000. What happens today - some thousand years later? Is this really better?

By the way: Christians never used such laws. Christians used the roman laws or in the middle ages laws like for example the lex baiuvariorum (6th-8th century). The worth of a person in this book had to do with the social position. But if a man hurted a woman he had to pay twice as much.

On no reason. Christians don't need laws. The world needs laws. The world today needs todays laws. But every human being needs justice. And justice is an eternal thing. Without justice we are not able to live. The moment we make a law - the next moment someone breaks this law. Or maybe even a law itselve is full of injustice.

More concrete example: A thief has a mother. If he has to go to prison his mother will suffer, because she loves her child. But the mother did not steal anything. To punish her is not justice.

Last edited:
A nation where the citizens are humble, honest, sober, optimistic, full of love and kindness, that hates corruption, where parents get married and stay married and raise their children to be good honorable people, where neighbors reach out to neighbors, where the elderly are valued and love, where people work hard, and the Spirit of the Lord dwells with them constantly.

I can understand why that sounds like hell to you rdean.

Let us know when Christians start doing this, until then quit your damn harping, you all sound like a bunch of little girls

80-Year-Old Christian Woman Wouldn’t Convert to Islam. ISIS Responded by Doing the Unthinkable

When an eighty-year-old Christian woman refused to abandon her faith for Islam, ISIS did the unthinkable. [Graphic photo follows below.]

Instead of accepting her choice, the terrorists made an example out of her by doing something incredibly heinous.

ABNA reports:

In a village 20 km south east of Mosul in northern Iraq, the so-called Islamic State (IS) militants have burned an Iraqi Christian woman to death.

Sa’ed Mamuzini, representative of the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) office in Mosul, said on Tuesday that the militants burned the 80-year-old Iraqi Christian woman, who was from Kremlis in the Nimrud area of the Hamdaneya sub district, east of Mosul.

Mamuzini said that villagers told him that the woman was killed for failing to comply with the strict laws of the self-proclaimed Islamic State.

A gruesome photo of the execution is circulating on social media.

ISIS terrorists have burned an old (80 years) woman in Mosul. She was#christian and didn't want to convert #mosul pic.twitter.com/UoHv4T51Dj

— Dilbar (@DilbarKurd) June 26, 2015

80-Year-Old Christian Woman Wouldn t Convert to Islam. ISIS Responded by Doing the Unthinkable

But Christians were totally cool with burning 80 year old witches back in the day

Yeah. They did that when the scriptures were largely kept from the general population.

As the scriptures were taken to the people in their own language, studied, and lived such things were slowly done away.

Blah, blah, blah. Nobody is forced to live as a Christian.
not yet

Stop being fucking stupid....oh wait, you can't
You mean you don't think GOP right wingers wouldn't force everyone to be a Christian if they could get away with it? Considering what they say, why don't you believe them?

Considering what the Bible says, no I don't.

"Choose this day whom you will serve" is a fundamental belief behind the first amendment. A first amendment Christians lobbied for and defend to this day.

We can't live by the scriptures without knowing them. I doubt 5% of the population of this nation has read the bible cover to cover. Some of them even go to church.

What do you think do we do in a church service? Kill children and drink their blood and eat their flesh?

Not simply read scriptures. As useful as services are, they can never take the place of actually reading the Word of God and getting the Spirit.

"In all history there is no war which was not hatched by the governments, the governments alone, independent of the interests of the people, to whom war is always pernicious even when successful."-- Tolstoy

War is expensive and risky. There was never a war waged where economic or political benefit were central.
ie. territory gained, resources acquired, political power secured, etc.. People who say that religion is the cause of war put the cart before the horse. Even the concept of religion as a tool for coercing the public into political wars is rapidly becoming irrelevant. Today, our government appeals to the public’s secular humanitarian values to convince us that we need to bomb Libya or Mesopotamia, not to mention pushing the fear buttons of insecurity. The cause of war never changes, only the marketing.

rdean is an amateur. He’ll never attack the great Christian minds like Tolstoy, or the great hearts at the AME church who forgave their attacker. It’s always the same with these rookie atheists.

Why don't you experiment and find out for yourself? Try being humble, patient, honest, kind. Try daily prayer and daily scripture study. Apply what you lean to your life.

Try it and see the fruits for yourself.

Imagine a U.S. where we all lived by the Bible.

Imagine a combative non-believer not using the Bible for his own machinations but instead taking the time to truly understand.

Imagine a combative non-believer not ignoring divine revelations from God outside of the Bible, which may then give him or her pause.

Imagine a combative non-believer being honest about all the good Christianity has done and still does for this selfish, uncaring world instead of demanding all his little esoteric quizzical scenarios be answered before he will acknowledge so many obvious truths.

Imagine a combative non-believer not looking for cracks in the Christian armor to try to justify all his selfish ways or sinful ways, and instead be humble and repentant towards the ONE who gave him life.

Last edited:

Not simply read scriptures. As useful as services are, they can never take the place of actually reading the Word of God and getting the Spirit.

Hmm ... let me think about Saint Francis. He was ready to give the only bible he and his followers owned to a beggar-woman. This bible was very worthful - always books were unbelievable worthful in this time of history. He said something like: "It is better not to have a bible instead not to do the worthful things written in". I remember in the end he did not give the bible away, because his monks forbid him to do so - otherwise they had suffered a lot. How to read the bible in church service otherwise?

So don't forget please: The bible is not a god. It's only an instrument - let me compare it with a scalpel. Some can use a scalpel to scalp (whatelse to do with a scalpel?) - others try to save lifes - and some else clean their nails with it. The bible itselve is worth nothing - everything depends - how you already said - on his spirit. But we start to listen, to learn and to understand in our traditions.

Eingang

Wer du auch seist: am Abend tritt hinaus
aus deiner Stube, drin du alles weißt;
als letztes vor der Ferne liegt dein Haus:
wer du auch seist.
Mit deinen Augen, welche müde kaum
von der verbrauchten Schwelle sich befrein,
hebst du ganz langsam einen schwarzen Baum
und stellst ihn vor den Himmel: schlank, allein.
Und hast die Welt gemacht. Und sie ist groß
und wie ein Wort, das noch im Schweigen reift.
Und wie dein Wille ihren Sinn begreift,
lassen sie deine Augen zärtlich los...

Rainer Maria Rilke

Last edited:
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil, an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil. (Judges 5:30 NAB)

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property." Exodus 21:20-21 NAB

Don’t associate with non-Christians. Don’t receive them into your house or even exchange greeting with them. 2 John 1:10

Would you be allowed to ;pick and choose?

I think you missed the NT. These verses are for the jews under the OT laws dingbat.

imagine if we lived in a world without religion

Imagine there's no heaven
No heaven? Also not the seventh heaven?
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Hell below? And what about the hells all around?
Above us only sky
By the way: Including the view directly into a barrel of a potential black hole riffle. If it fires then "hasta la vista, solar baby"
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
A word from Jesus? In an antireligious song?
Imagine there's no countries
No "duelling yodel" in the bavaria-lympic games any longer?
It isn't hard to do
It is even impossible to do. What is Texas without Texas?

Nothing to kill or die for
Why for heavens sake should someone like to live, if he has nothing what he likes to die for?

And no religion too
No Dalai Lama, no forms and no feelings, conceptions, impulses and no consciousness: there is no eye, ear, nose, tongue, body or mind; there is no form, sound, smell, taste, touch or idea ...
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...
Like for example Buddhists and Catholics since about 500 years in a region of the world? Oh I forgot: One day a priest attacked a monk with a chair there. A protestant priest. Don't ask me why. Was about 10-20 years ago.
You may say I'm a dreamer
Hmm - with body guards you could perhaps still be alive. You are a dead hero.
But I'm not the only one
What a surprise.
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one.

Nice Pathos - but to be honest: I would prefer to know what region of the world it is, if I see some houses on a picture. And let me say too: the fashion for men is ... undescribable. Why is not everyone wearing leather trouser, gamsbart and dirndl?

Last edited:

Hmm ... let me think about Saint Francis. He was ready to give the only bible he and his followers owned to a beggar-woman. This bible was very worthful - always books were unbelievable worthful in this time of history. He said something like: "It is better not to have a bible instead not to do the worthful things written in". I remember in the end he did not give the bible away, because his monks forbid him to do so - otherwise they had suffered a lot. How to read the bible in church service otherwise?

So don't forget please: The bible is not a god. It's only an instrument - let me compare it with a scalpel. Some can use a scalpel to scalp (whatelse to do with a scalpel?) - others try to save lifes - and some else clean their nails with it. The bible itselve is worth nothing - everything depends - how you already said - on his spirit. But we start to listen, to learn and to understand in our traditions.

Eingang

wer du auch seist.

Rainer Maria Rilke

I'm not a protestant. I don't make the Bible into God. It is a tool to teach us. B stud Yuri ing it we can learn the testimony of those who communed with God and learn out to do so ourselves. We can invite the Spirit into our life

Thanks to Jeremiah I was reading and contemplating psalms 15 today. Let me share it here:

Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?

2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.

3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.

4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth tohis own hurt, and changeth not.

5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor takethreward against the innocent. He that doeth these thingsshall never be moved.

Who here can deny that if people followed what was in those five verses alone the world would be much better? In fact, I challenge everyone reading this including rdean, especially rdean, to practice this in their life for the next year.

Eingang

wer du auch seist.

Rainer Maria Rilke

I'm not a protestant. I don't make the Bible into God. It is a tool to teach us. B stud Yuri ing it we can learn the testimony of those who communed with God and learn out to do so ourselves. We can invite the Spirit into our life

You are not a Protestant, not a Catholic and not an Orthodox. Keep not many possibilities. ... Ahem ... "not many" is maybe said a little to much. Whatever. Best greetings to your spirit.

Imagine a U.S. where we all lived by the Bible.

Imagine a combative non-believer not using the Bible for his own machinations but instead taking the time to truly understand.

Imagine a combative non-believer not ignoring divine revelations from God outside of the Bible, which may then give him or her pause.

Imagine a combative non-believer being honest about all the good Christianity has done and still does for this selfish, uncaring world instead of demanding all his little esoteric quizzical scenarios be answered before he will acknowledge so many obvious truths.

Imagine a combative non-believer not looking for cracks in the Christian armor to try to justify all his selfish ways or sinful ways, and instead be humble and repentant towards the ONE who gave him life.

---
Imagine a combative non-believer in science & philosophy/logic ... replacing the Bible with non-fiction material.
Maybe they can actually learn something.

Forum List

Back