I'm thinking of joining a church with my kids

yes i know, but is he looking for a church for religious reasons all that getting closer to god thing...or the social component, activities and people.

Does it matter?

Yes it does

You can find good places to meet and socialize with people without the church or god involved.

I mean, does it matter to us?

Not trying to be rude, just wondering why somebody else's reason for wanting to do something like finding a church to take his kids to would matter to anyone else. But I'm usually a very private person when it comes to religion, so that's coming from my point of view.

Does it matter?

Yes it does

You can find good places to meet and socialize with people without the church or god involved.

Not trying to be rude, just wondering why somebody else's reason for wanting to do something like finding a church to take his kids to would matter to anyone else. But I'm usually a very private person when it comes to religion, so that's coming from my point of view.

He asked because he wasn't sure about where he wanted to go...so the reasons are important.

Yes it does

He asked because he wasn't sure about where he wanted to go...so the reasons are important.

Gotcha. ;)

OK XO serious question.

Why are you looking to do this now?

I'll be moving in the next year.

Plus...my son keeps saying "Everyone dies...the only people who don't die are God and Santa."

So do you believe him on the first one?

Of course we know that Santa will, well uh, will ... well, you know...

That's why the first one is important. ;):eusa_angel:

Yes it does

from the reasons i've seen him post, i'd say the Unitarian would be the church for him

A community in terms of a religious one?

You don't need to have a church for that. Join the country club.

It would be easier to find a good country club. ;)

But something tells me when he says "church", he means "church".

yes i know, but is he looking for a church for religious reasons all that getting closer to god thing...or the social component, activities and people.
Can't it be all of them?

from the reasons i've seen him post, i'd say the Unitarian would be the church for him
Won't it clash with my ultra-conservative philosophies?

Not so much for the kids though. I still think the best bet is an active church where there is obvious joy and enthusiasm, there is a lot of outreach to help others (ministries), and a large, active youth group with sufficient attractions to keep kids busy there instead of out on the streets looking for something to do.

Our church for instance completed a new addition with a full size gymnasium this past year. It was not for our membership so much as for the large youth ministry at our church and because there is absolutely nothing for the kids in North Albuquerque. That facility is now drawing in neighborhood kids who go there for adult supervised basketball, volleyball, etc. The homeschooled kids now have a place to get physical education on rainy days. Most probably will not become members or otherwise involved, but there're not out getting into trouble either and are being exposed to a fun but wholesome environment.

Also giving your kids opportunity to have a faith in something positive, wholesolme, and larger than themselves is one of the best things you can do for them.

Forum List

Back