Ignoring the Hypocrisy: Guns, Alcohol, & Weed and Driving

LibertyKid

Platinum Member
May 26, 2021
The political narrative. Guns are bad, we must do more to restrict guns in the country.
However, alcohol and weed consumption while driving is still a problem, while driving high is becoming an even bigger problem. It seems almost daily you can go almost anywhere and you will smell weed. You know the person drove and will return home high.

It is a fact that THC impairs one's ability to drive high.

My point that is being missed is that how Politicians and MSM talking heads focus on guns, while the vast majority of us are at a higher risk of being involved in an accident where the other driver was drunk/high. Why are we not pointing out this hypocrisy?

I've said it before, the number of responsible gun owners greatly outweigh the number of irresponsible alcohol/weed users.

The political narrative. Guns are bad, we must do more to restrict guns in the country.
However, alcohol and weed consumption while driving is still a problem, while driving high is becoming an even bigger problem. It seems almost daily you can go almost anywhere and you will smell weed. You know the person drove and will return home high.

My point that is being missed is that how Politicians and MSM talking heads focus on guns, while the vast majority of us are at a higher risk of being involved in an accident where the other driver was drunk/high. Why are we not pointing out this hypocrisy?

I've said it before, the number of responsible gun owners greatly outweigh the number of irresponsible alcohol/weed users.
Would driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs be more prolific if people had the Right to Drive Inebriated and/or Stoned.

people have been driving high for years,you are only seen it mentioned now because so many states have made it legal and they are now looking for it....

people have been driving high for years,you are only seen it mentioned now because so many states have made it legal and they are now looking for it....
I don't think I have to look for it... My nose finds it pretty easily LOL

False dichotomy fallacy.

That is, it presumes only two options are possible "focus entirely on guns" and "focus entirely on impaired driving", when that is clearly not the case.

Alcohol kills far more people annually than guns (~3x+) .. where is the outrage?
I tend to focus on drinking and driving stats where the consumer does affect others. Alcohol being a contributor or primary cause of death doesn't always affect another person. A death is a death. Preventable or not. I don't see anyone clamoring to take away alcohol.... again. And we know that didn't work. But like you said, where's the outrage.

False dichotomy fallacy.

That is, it presumes only two options are possible "focus entirely on guns" and "focus entirely on impaired driving", when that is clearly not the case.
The point being made is that driving impaired does kill others. But we don't have the same narrative from politicians or the MSM. Right? When someone(s) are killed driving drunk it is sad. The driver should get his due justice. We may ask again, why were they allowed to drive again, and the usual questions. But no one wants to remove alcohol, or create even greater restrictions. Is anyone suing the brewing company. There are some edge cases where the bar was sued, and maybe the brewer was sued too, but it doesn't get the same traction like guns do.

So why?

I tend to focus on drinking and driving stats where the consumer does affect others. Alcohol being a contributor or primary cause of death doesn't always affect another person. A death is a death. Preventable or not. I don't see anyone clamoring to take away alcohol.... again. And we know that didn't work. But like you said, where's the outrage.
Agree .. a death is a death .. yet .. focus is on specific types of death while discounting other death causes. If Democrats really cared about deaths .. they would target the big 2 or 3 areas, instead of "lets do something" mentality that will inevitably produce poor results. Democrats / liberals insist on an approach that has failed at least 2 times historically .. yet believe it will provide different results.

This is driven by the reality that the state cannot have a monopoly on power so long as the citizenry remains armed.
The left wants this monopoly - thus, gun control.

Their action re: gun v drugs, alcohol and driving make more sense when you view it in that - the proposer - context.

It's common sense but our own Veteran adminiistrations ignore self claimed PTSD that is so severe that some Veterans with the condition receive a disibility pension. PTSD diagnosis should prevent access to firearm purchases.

It's common sense but our own Veteran adminiistrations ignore self claimed PTSD that is so severe that some Veterans with the condition receive a disibility pension. PTSD diagnosis should prevent access to firearm purchases.
Huh? What does this have to do with the convo?

Forum List

Back