If you had 1 million dollars.....

I don't have anything, Biker. I rent. I have to have roomies to pay that rent. So if I won the lottery, you can bet I would want my own house that I never have to move out of again.

If you don't want to have roomies, you could buy a home for anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 dollars.

If you wanted to keep the roomies, you could do it for around 250,000 and they could also pay you rent after you bought their home for them.

What do you do with the extra?

Me? I think handing out 100 dollar bills during Christmas (when people could use it) or Easter would be fun.

But....................I kinda like thinking about those other than myself, especially when I have enough to eat and a roof over my head and Internet to post on.

It's really kinda fun to see someone realize that because of what you gave them, means they can eat or have a place to stay for the night.

Yeah.....................I hand out cash to people on the corners...........

Sure. I will just go out back and pluck 50,000 off the money tree in the back yard.

When I had money (when I had my shops), I donated to many charities. A lot went to the dog pound. A LOT. Some went in food banks. Some went to people I knew needed a helping hand. But I don't have money any more. Medical situations, insurance that was crappy, the economy, getting old, falling apart. Shit happens. If I win the lottery, I am buying a house nobody can raise the rent on, nobody can kick me out, I have a roof over my head and I will have money to find a decent private doctor for hubby and myself. And I don't have to sweat pet bills because they are getting old too. If that makes me selfish, so be it.

I'd head on down to Thailand, or maybe someplace in the horn of Africa where things are really dicey. Maybe even one of the more impoverished Eastern Block countries. . .

I'd head on down and buy me a person :)

Neighbor lives in Thailand and only comes here to check his house he has subleased a part of. It's beautiful there but I don't think I would want to live there. Canada might be nice. Or the carribbean.

Interesting..............when someone asked what I'd do if I had a lot of money (aka a million dollars), one of the first things that I wanted to do was to provide money for those poorer than myself.

Everyone else after my post wanted only for themselves.

Greed kills, y'all.......................greed kills........................

It's not greedy to provide for your family.

I don't have anything, Biker. I rent. I have to have roomies to pay that rent. So if I won the lottery, you can bet I would want my own house that I never have to move out of again.

If you don't want to have roomies, you could buy a home for anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 dollars.

If you wanted to keep the roomies, you could do it for around 250,000 and they could also pay you rent after you bought their home for them.

Me? I think handing out 100 dollar bills during Christmas (when people could use it) or Easter would be fun.

But....................I kinda like thinking about those other than myself, especially when I have enough to eat and a roof over my head and Internet to post on.

It's really kinda fun to see someone realize that because of what you gave them, means they can eat or have a place to stay for the night.

Personally? I'd invest it. Then you have those that want to start a business.
Then we have you. Who'd just piss it away.
At least you could start a business and provide jobs for those down trodden that you enriched for a day.....then you could have changed their LIFE with a full time job.

At least you could start a business and provide jobs for those down trodden that you enriched for a day.....then you could have changed their LIFE with a full time job.

You may be right............I might become entangled in the web that greedy asshats like you weave, and you'd get me to give you all my money by warning me not to piss it all away.

And..............in believing the greed that you would sell to me, you'd get me to change the lives of people whom I'd hired to give them jobs and a full life, and get me to sell those same jobs to another country (like China or India), so that I could pad the wallets of the investors who initially invested in this company.

Yeah.............if I follow your business model, I'll provide jobs for a day. Hell, if I tell management to go screw themselves, I may be able to provide jobs for a week.

If I follow the Mitt Romney plan, they're gone as soon as the tech is available for anyone to understand.

Sure. I will just go out back and pluck 50,000 off the money tree in the back yard.

When I had money (when I had my shops), I donated to many charities. A lot went to the dog pound. A LOT. Some went in food banks. Some went to people I knew needed a helping hand. But I don't have money any more. Medical situations, insurance that was crappy, the economy, getting old, falling apart. Shit happens. If I win the lottery, I am buying a house nobody can raise the rent on, nobody can kick me out, I have a roof over my head and I will have money to find a decent private doctor for hubby and myself. And I don't have to sweat pet bills because they are getting old too. If that makes me selfish, so be it.

The payment on a 50k home would be less than your rent now.

A million dollars doesn't go that far anymore (inflation). I'd use half to buy a house in the place I want to retire. It would have a swimming pool and a large yard and garden. I'd use the rest to live on in retirement.

.....what would you do with it? A million isn't much nowadays, but it is to those who struggle day to day. So...it's a lot of money to muse on what to do with it and how to spend it.

For myself..I would find a cute SMALL 2 bedroom home on 5 to 10 acres. Maybe somewhere in Colorado or upper Arizona. Single level. I think I could find one for about 300,000 or so. Give or take. I would stick the other 200,000 aside for living expenses and medical emergencies.
I would give the few close friends I have that are in the same boat I am in....50,000 each. The rest...ASPCA and Dog Pounds in the city nearest to my dwelling or whichever pound is in most need of cash.

So..what would you do with yours? And do you ever dream of winning the lottery and dreaming on what you would do FIRST?

My father in law died in November and left us close to a million in money, property and investments. The way things are, it will all go towards living expenses, and we will work less.

Yep, a million ain't what it used to be.

I'd pay off the house and buy the place next to it for my kid - he & his wife are stuck in a rental right now. I'd make all the necessary improvements & upgrades on the properties. I'd get new cars for myself and the hubs, the ones we have are on their last legs. I'd put the grandkids through state college.

What's left, a couple hundred thou, I'd put in IRAs and an emergency account.

You may be right............I might become entangled in the web that greedy asshats like you weave, and you'd get me to give you all my money by warning me not to piss it all away.

And..............in believing the greed that you would sell to me, you'd get me to change the lives of people whom I'd hired to give them jobs and a full life, and get me to sell those same jobs to another country (like China or India), so that I could pad the wallets of the investors who initially invested in this company.

Yeah.............if I follow your business model, I'll provide jobs for a day. Hell, if I tell management to go screw themselves, I may be able to provide jobs for a week.

If I follow the Mitt Romney plan, they're gone as soon as the tech is available for anyone to understand.

Sounds like you have a fear of failure. Or you have no idea how to run a business.
So just go ahead and give the money to the winos....who will promptly forget about you once you run out of money. Fantastic plan!!!

A million dollars doesn't go that far anymore (inflation). I'd use half to buy a house in the place I want to retire. It would have a swimming pool and a large yard and garden. I'd use the rest to live on in retirement.

Swimming pools aint all they're cracked up to be. I'd give you mine if it was possible.
You spend thousands on maintenance every year and swim in the damn thing two or three times a year.

Swimming pools aint all they're cracked up to be. I'd give you mine if it was possible.
You spend thousands on maintenance every year and swim in the damn thing two or three times a year.

The place I would live is warm most of the year and hot in the summer. I already swim regularly and would continue to do so to keep fit. I'd probably swim in it most every morning, except for the 2-3 months when it is too cold.

Forum List

Back