If you could go back in time and stop one historical event, what would it be?

If you could go back in time and stop one historical event in the history of the planet, what would it be?

I've always wondered what this planet would be like if Chris Columbus and crew had met a big sister of Katrina and Sandy on their first voyage, resulting in their never returning to Europe.

Western 'Civilization' and, in particular, the ruling classes and their government models circa 1500 acquiring access to such a vast rush of poorly defended resources really skewed Monkey evolution profoundly.

What if the European 'discovery' of the Americas was delayed until after the Catholics and their Inquisition were rendered impotent by popular demand? Nobody knows what the end of the Inquisition years would have looked like if America had remained a secret for a few more decades, but history shows that the populace was just about fed up with that particular influence on the ruling class when Chris came home with his ‘discovery’.

What if the Europeans had learned to share better before they ‘found’ the rest of us?
:dunno:

So are you curious enough in the 'what ifs' to use one of them as the one single thing you would change in history per the question in the OP?

Mind you, narrowing down all world events for all the millenia for which we have a historical record to one single event is not to be taken lightly. The genie will grant you one wish and one wish only.

I am pretty secure in the one event I chose. Until the worst effects of that event came to their fully ripe consequences, the USA was the envy of the world and many looked to us as shining proof that freedom, prosperity, and opportunity is attainable for anybody, regardless of the circumstances they are born into.

Few do that any more.

Last edited:
I'd go back the 30's and would have shot Stanley Dunham in the head or I'd have paid a visit to Robert E. Lee.

Last edited:
If you could go back in time and stop one historical event in the history of the planet, what would it be?

I've always wondered what this planet would be like if Chris Columbus and crew had met a big sister of Katrina and Sandy on their first voyage, resulting in their never returning to Europe.

Western 'Civilization' and, in particular, the ruling classes and their government models circa 1500 acquiring access to such a vast rush of poorly defended resources really skewed Monkey evolution profoundly.

What if the European 'discovery' of the Americas was delayed until after the Catholics and their Inquisition were rendered impotent by popular demand? Nobody knows what the end of the Inquisition years would have looked like if America had remained a secret for a few more decades, but history shows that the populace was just about fed up with that particular influence on the ruling class when Chris came home with his ‘discovery’.

What if the Europeans had learned to share better before they ‘found’ the rest of us?

So are you curious enough in the 'what ifs' to use one of them as the one single thing you would change in history per the question in the OP?

Mind you, narrowing down all world events for all the millenia for which we have a historical record to one single event is not to be taken lightly. The genie will grant you one wish and one wish only.

I am pretty secure in the one event I chose. Until the worst effects of that event came to their fully ripe consequences, the USA was the envy of the world and many looked to us as shining proof that freedom, prosperity, and opportunity is attainable for anybody, regardless of the circumstances they are born into.

Few do that any more.

:eusa_eh: I did name a single event. The 'discovery' of the Americas by the Europeans in 1492 is what I would prevent in a fantasy world where I can be God for one event.

Few do that any more.

:eusa_eh: I did name a single event. The 'discovery' of the Americas by the Europeans in 1492 is what I would prevent in a fantasy world where I can be God for one event.

Naw, I wouldn't pick that one because just as the world's populations have been migrating and moving around the world for millenia, it was inevitable that Europe was going to find North and South America eventually anyway. Columbus just happened to be among the first to do so with any consequence.

And because somebody did, I, a descendant of migrated Europeans, have been blessed with being born into and raised in what I consider the best place to grow up in the entire world.

We can judge specific events in history as to whether they were good or bad things, virtuous or evil, positive or negative for those experiencing it, etc., and the circumstances of the time inform us about that. . . .but. . . .

. . . we cannot judge history itself on any single component within it.

Teddy Roosevel, an exceedingly popular President, had the best of intentions to correct some specific problems in his world at the time he instituted his "Square Deal". But he failed to be informed by history when he did it, he ignored the counsel of the Founders, and he did not look into the future to see what would be the consequences of what he wrought. The result is the twisted, topsy turvy, and often misguided society we have today and a bloated, incompetent, expensive, intrusive, self serving, and ever more authoritarian government that we have today.

Last edited:
Which is exactly the point I was making!! ALL attempts to deal with corruption will end in failure because it is not just the politicians and financiers who are corrupt, it is the whole system of government that is corrupt and stupid !!
So what system would YOU go to. Don’t forget, I have heard all about the fact that you would replace our constitution and, even though you claim to have a replacement already, it has been completely devoid of details or facts. Now is your chance.
NOW you're going to get it !!

But it will be on another thread.

I've been waiting for someone to ask me that, so that I could justify starting a thread on which I could be sufficiently long-winded and loquacious to deal with such a subject !!
Here is the answer to your question [even though it lacked a question mark] :

ESCAPE FROM THE CONSTITUTION -- Saving Modern Civilization, or, a modest proposal for electoral reform

Few do that any more.

Naw, I wouldn't pick that one because just as the world's populations have been migrating and moving around the world for millenia, it was inevitable that Europe was going to find North and South America eventually anyway. Columbus just happened to be among the first to do so with any consequence.

And because somebody did, I, a descendant of migrated Europeans, have been blessed with being born into and raised in what I consider the best place to grow up in the entire world.

We can judge specific events in history as to whether they were good or bad things, virtuous or evil, positive or negative for those experiencing it, etc., and the circumstances of the time inform us about that. . . .but. . . .

. . . we cannot judge history itself on any single component within it.

Teddy Roosevel, an exceedingly popular President, had the best of intentions to correct some specific problems in his world at the time he instituted his "Square Deal". But he failed to be informed by history when he did it, he ignored the counsel of the Founders, and he did not look into the future to see what would be the consequences of what he wrought. The result is the twisted, topsy turvy, and often misguided society we have today and a bloated, incompetent, expensive, intrusive, self serving, and ever more authoritarian government that we have today.

It's a discussion of fantasies....

There are no right or wrong answers, only fantasies and opinions. I'll ass-u-me that, even in the world we did get stuck with, I'm still entitled to mine.

Then we would not have the grate nation of America.

What created this nations prosperity is a combination of the fact that we have great wealth in the resources here and that when we were discovered, Europe was in such turmoil. Essentially, the world drove some of the best and brightest thinkers out of their home nations and to the promise of a new land. Part of what created the great opportunity here was the sheer fact that the rest of the world was in such turmoil.

Perhaps... but I bet the Monkeys living on that fantasy world would have incredible places to vacation!

Would it be better? Nobody can know. It would be different. I'd bet money that our species is closer to reaching for the stars in 2013 than the Monkeys in my fantasy would be in their version of 2013.

That begs the question of whether or not progress = happiness. I say it doesn't, but that doesn't mean shit in this scenario - because of our unique history, Earth Monkeys are midway through circumstances forcing them to keep pushing for stars or die trying.

So far, and in spite of it all, the concept behind 'America' is still this planets best hope to reach for the stars and birth a Sentient World from Monkeys. As soon as enough of us demand fair and simple taxes with balanced public budgets.

Progress most certainly does not equal happiness though it DOES mean that more can have access to that possibility. For the most part though, happiness comes from you, not your circumstances. You can be perfectly happy poor, rich or anywhere in-between with whatever amenities that you have or lack. The only real externalities that are going to infringe on your innate ability to be happy are those that harm you or take away your basic freedoms.

Progress is not necessarily good or bad anyway, more of a reality as man will always progress until he is destroyed.

Forum List

Back