If you could choose how you die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Like a Spinal Tap Drummer???

Like Socrates.
I thought the people of Greece had Socrates executed for what he was teaching. He was poisoned, right? Or did I miss something?

As for Cameron, Paris, Britney, and Jessica, I know a lot of guys who think they're all really hot, but they're all too "typical" looking for me. Like, I can think of at least three girls that go to my school that look exactly like Britney. Like you guys said, Cameron looked good before she went on the Karen Carpenter diet (that was mean, I'm sorry). Paris is just a slut, not to mention a dumbass who's rich and spoiled. Britney has been getting pretty trashy lately, and I get the feeling she's a closet cokehead. Jessica simpson I don't have any BIG problem with, at least she doesn't seem full of herself or spoiled (or any more spoiled than the average big-boobed blonde). But, there's still just something about her that doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't know why. I think her sister's a lot hotter than she is (I know I'm in the minority there).

Dan said:
I thought the people of Greece had Socrates executed for what he was teaching. He was poisoned, right? Or did I miss something?

As for Cameron, Paris, Britney, and Jessica, I know a lot of guys who think they're all really hot, but they're all too "typical" looking for me. Like, I can think of at least three girls that go to my school that look exactly like Britney. Like you guys said, Cameron looked good before she went on the Karen Carpenter diet (that was mean, I'm sorry). Paris is just a slut, not to mention a dumbass who's rich and spoiled. Britney has been getting pretty trashy lately, and I get the feeling she's a closet cokehead. Jessica simpson I don't have any BIG problem with, at least she doesn't seem full of herself or spoiled (or any more spoiled than the average big-boobed blonde). But, there's still just something about her that doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't know why. I think her sister's a lot hotter than she is (I know I'm in the minority there).

Jury's out on Socrates, but here is a not so nice coloration of his choice, but look at the option and no wonder he comes up short:
http://www.thevillageidiot.org/onelast.htm

One Last Drink
-- Socrates, Suicide & Jesus
by Stephen P. Lewis
It's nearly closing time at the pub of the universe and the bartender is ready to take your last order. What will you have for your last drink? Before you and your doctor rush out to the AM-PM MiniMarket to buy 1 40 oz. Hemlock Slurpy, it might be a good idea to ask a few questions. What would Socrates do?

Socrates chose a Hemlock micro-brew. Jesus prayed, "Let this cup pass me by," but he ended up drinking God's cup of wrath down to the dregs. If the founder of the Hemlock Society, Derek Humphry, is correct, then both Socrates and Jesus committed suicide, because they both had the opportunity to leave the bar before closing time. Instead, they stayed to the end and drank one last drink.

The similarities between Jesus and Socrates are scary. Socrates is thought to have been the son of a stone-carver. Jesus was thought to have been the son of a carpenter. Both were known for their haunting questions: What is the highest good? What good is it for you if you gain the whole world, but lose your very soul? Both were teachers, but they wrote no books. Neither of them wrote so much as a letter to the editor. What we know about their life and death, we receive from their disciples who became best-selling authors.

But the similarities crescendo when you take a look at their last days on earth. Motivated by politics, the Athenian rulers hauled the philosopher into court and accused him of two things: corrupting the youth with dangerous teaching, and committing blasphemy by introducing new gods. Motivated by politics, Herod Pilate, the Sadducees and the Pharisees accused Jesus of two things: teaching dangerous things about the temple, and committing blasphemy by claiming to be the Son of God. What does Athens have to do with Jerusalem? Both sacrificed their best citizens. Socrates was tried by an Athenian jury of 501 men. Jesus was tried by the Sanhedrin council of 71 men which said, "We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God." Both Socrates and Jesus were condemned to death, and both willingly drank that last drink.

Press a bit further, though, and the similarities appear artificial. These were two vastly different men, choosing two vastly different beverages. Our source for what happened during Socrate's last days is his dialogue with Crito as told to us by Plato. Crito meets with Socrates in his prison cell and describes his easy plan of escape. Crito and his friends will bankroll Socrates into a new life in a more tolerant city. What would Socrates do? He's worried about being a burden to his friends and family, and argues that his escape will make life difficult for them. He prefers death.

So Crito accuses him of taking the easy way out, and argues: "Consider, Socrates, whether this is not only evil, but shameful, both for you and for us." But Socrates is able to redefine evil and shame. He counters by saying that there comes a time when life is not worth living. He declares the pagan belief that the mind and the spirit are higher and more valuable than the lowly body. And he concludes -- "the most important thing is not life, but the good life." In the end, Socrates decides that he cannot break his covenant with the city of Athens; he gave his word he would play by their rules. He will submit to their laws. Law is King. Socrates' motive is clear: he must value goodness and law more than life and family, because he needs to persuade the rulers of Hades that he is a law-abiding man. Otherwise, he advises Crito, "the laws of the underworld will not receive you kindly."

Socrates taught that the source of all truth was your own soul; look within. Jesus taught something entirely different, claiming, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." The new gods Socrates was accused of promoting were the daemonion the mystical inner voices, different for each person. The blasphemy Jesus was accused of was his exclusive claims about himself, calling every person to come to him for rest and satisfaction.

And so we see Socrates spending his last day on earth with his friends and admirers, philosophizing and debating, calmly choosing his own poison and downing that last drink. If the poison were in fact water hemlock, as some suppose, then his body likely was thrown into a grand mal seizure, until he finally died. Jesus, on the other hand, spent the day of his death abandoned by all his friends, praying in agony on the cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Death on a Roman cross was designed to be a slow, cruel and naked death; no quick exit procedure.

According to the Athenian jury, Socrates was executed. This was no suicide. But 2,500 years later, the jury is still out. Can't you call it suicide, since he chose not to go with Crito? And what about Christ? In his own words, he makes it clear: I am the good shepherd, and I lay down my life for the sheep. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life -- only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."
[...]

My friends and I sort of had this conversation the other night. We were discussing whether or not we would become vampires if we could (we were watching The Lost Boys).

I would never want immortality. Think about having to watch every single one of your family and friends die. I couldn't do it.

I don't know how I want to die, though. My gut reaction is "painlessly, in my sleep", but at the same time, I would want my death to be really memorable in some way.

If you could have immortality but you had to die before you could get it, would you be willing to do it?

So long as I was returned to my original state right before death, yes. I don't want to be missing limbs from a firey car crash, or anything. (Boy, I hope that turns out to be a good hair day).

As for watching people I know die.. Sure, it hurts, and it sucks but I don't get all weepy, and break down for weeks at a crack, because..hey.. People die. We were all born to die.

If you could have immortality but you had to die before you could get it, would you be willing to do it?

Well it depends on the quality of life I would have as an immortal. Missing a head because I had to die first would be uncomfortable and make it difficult to see when I was driving.

It would also depend on if there was a way to end it if and when I got tired of this existence. As a Vampire you could simply wait and watch the sunrise.

Dan said:
My friends and I sort of had this conversation the other night. We were discussing whether or not we would become vampires if we could (we were watching The Lost Boys).

I would never want immortality. Think about having to watch every single one of your family and friends die. I couldn't do it.

I don't know how I want to die, though. My gut reaction is "painlessly, in my sleep", but at the same time, I would want my death to be really memorable in some way.

First off Great Movie, and I think initially it's very tempting to want immortality, but like you said how do you watch everyone you know and love die?

Forum List

Back