If you can remember watching a black and white television

The only black and white movie that I have ever seen is Its A Wonderful Life.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
You have led a sheltered life
If you knew every nook and cranny about my life, you probably wouldn't have been so quick to say such a thing. I might lead a squeaky clean life pretty much, but sadly I have found myself surrounded by way too many people who are in sheer and severe need of a "bath" and when you share a blood line with those people, packing up and going elsewhere has never been the easy thing to do.

God bless you and whats left of my family always!!!

Holly

P.S. No offense taken by the way.
You are missing out on our movie heritage

B&W movies you will not regret watching

Casablanca
Grapes of Wrath
Bride of Frankenstein
Citizen Kane
Destry Rides Again
Roman Holiday
On the Waterfront
Of Mice and Men
Any Abbott and Costello flick
The Bad Seed
Pride and Prejudice
The Heiress
Jezabel
Now Voyager
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Mrs. Miniver
The Letter

Remember having to get on the roof and turn the antenna until the channel got kind of clear. There was a relay of voices, snowy...better...snowy...snowy...a little better...right there....no, snowy again....snowy....
But then there were those who sprang for a $30 rotor with set top controls.
I used to live in Buffalo

We had one of those you had to use to pick up either Buffalo or Toronto stations

The only black and white movie that I have ever seen is Its A Wonderful Life.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
You have led a sheltered life
If you knew every nook and cranny about my life, you probably wouldn't have been so quick to say such a thing. I might lead a squeaky clean life pretty much, but sadly I have found myself surrounded by way too many people who are in sheer and severe need of a "bath" and when you share a blood line with those people, packing up and going elsewhere has never been the easy thing to do.

God bless you and whats left of my family always!!!

Holly

P.S. No offense taken by the way.
You are missing out on our movie heritage

B&W movies you will not regret watching

Casablanca
Grapes of Wrath
Bride of Frankenstein
Citizen Kane
Destry Rides Again
Roman Holiday
On the Waterfront
Of Mice and Men
Any Abbott and Costello flick
The Bad Seed
Pride and Prejudice
The Heiress
Jezabel
Now Voyager
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Mrs. Miniver
The Letter
Saw Mrs Miniver a few months ago.
Much better movie than I expected

Not if you didn’t own a color TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking back on it, probably most people weren't even aware that you could buy color TV's at the time, much less were able to afford one. ( until they started making them in Japan )
I seem to remember them costing over $400
Probably a months pay for my dad at the time

One of the shows I remember are "You ARE There". It was a history show that acted out important times like The Boston Tea Party. Don't know how old I was but loved that show.

Added: The Show was on from 1953 to 1977.
I remember that one. I think Walter Cronkite was the host.

Remember having to get on the roof and turn the antenna until the channel got kind of clear. There was a relay of voices, snowy...better...snowy...snowy...a little better...right there....no, snowy again....snowy....
But then there were those who sprang for a $30 rotor with set top controls.
I used to live in Buffalo

We had one of those you had to use to pick up either Buffalo or Toronto stations
I remember the first TV broadcast I ever watched. The family of a kid down the street got a TV and a really high antenna with a rotor. They invited the whole neighborhood over to see their new TV. The broadcast was from Dallas and we were about 170 miles away. I think the program was a local country and western show or maybe it was a western. The picture was so snowy no one knew for sure. My friend's father would adjust the antenna position with the little box on top of the TV and suddenly there was a picture but it only lasted a few seconds. Then he would change channels adjust the antenna and another picture would appear. People would say look at that horse and someone else would say that's not a horse. It's an elephant. And so went our first evening of TV watching. Our family talked about this for years.

Color was well established by the time I was born, but we did have 2 black and white portables when I was young. One even had a UFH channel that would pick up if you played with the knob and the weather was just right. Never crystal clear but good enough to see more image than snow. We always had cable so they were more a novelty for when camping and such.

Color was well established by the time I was born, but we did have 2 black and white portables when I was young. One even had a UFH channel that would pick up if you played with the knob and the weather was just right. Never crystal clear but good enough to see more image than snow. We always had cable so they were more a novelty for when camping and such.
It's UHF, ultra high frequency. UHF television began in 1952. Before that time there was only VHF, Channels 2-13. UHF was channels 14 thru 83. Of course all of this went away in the US with the digital conversion which completed about 10 years ago. It met a lot of resistance but is now seen as one of best things the FCC has ever done for television.

Last edited:
Ahh, the good old days...

Mario_pak__11749.1457463493.500.750.jpg

Everybody smoked back then and even family sit-com's advertised cigarettes .It was "Arthur -buy it by the carton -Godfrey and Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore took a break from comedy and advertized cigarettes.

Everybody smoked back then and even family sit-com's advertised cigarettes .It was "Arthur -buy it by the carton -Godfrey and Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore took a break from comedy and advertized cigarettes.
Although there was clear evidence in 50's that smoking could cause cancer, it was largely ignored. The cigarette industry saw the danger and reacted. Almost every magazine on the newsstand and every evening on TV they had at least one doctor or somebody in a white coat recommending this or that brand. There were always several big name Hollywood stars or sports figures highlighting the glory of smoking. And there was always the Marlborough man, illustrating that real men smoke Marlboroughs. Of the half dozen Marlborough men, 4 have died of cancer.

Although there was clear evidence in 50's that smoking could cause cancer, it was largely ignored. The cigarette industry saw the danger and reacted. Almost every magazine on the newsstand and every evening on TV they had at least one doctor or somebody in a white coat recommending this or that brand. There were always several big name Hollywood stars or sports figures highlighting the glory of smoking. And there was always the Marlborough man, illustrating that real men smoke Marlboroughs. Of the half dozen Marlborough men, 4 have died of cancer.
Even in the movies they would break the scene so the actors could light up

I remember going to the movies and seeing the film projected through a cloud of smoke

Forum List

Back